Squadron Officer School (SOS) Exams

Started by DBlair, February 10, 2012, 02:42:28 AM

DBlair

1) If a member is facing a deadline for SOS completion, may exams be taken without much time in between? For example, all 3 exams in the same week, with perhaps a day in between?

2) Not asking for test-compromising details, but how difficult are the exams? Does the member need an extreme amount of studying so as to memorize/master every detail, or would a basic summary knowledge be sufficient?

3) Considering that much of SOS curriculum involves leadership/management-related topics, if the member has an academic background in these subjects (including prior experience with textbooks cited in SOS), should he be able to pass the SOS exams without much trouble?

4) What is the process of scheduling an exam at the local base testing facility?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: DBlair on February 10, 2012, 02:42:28 AM

1) If a member is facing a deadline for SOS completion, may exams be taken without much time in between? For example, all 3 exams in the same week, with perhaps a day in between?

2) Not asking for test-compromising details, but how difficult are the exams? Does the member need an extreme amount of studying so as to memorize/master every detail, or would a basic summary knowledge be sufficient?

3) Considering that much of SOS curriculum involves leadership/management-related topics, if the member has an academic background in these subjects (including prior experience with textbooks cited in SOS), should he be able to pass the SOS exams without much trouble?

4) What is the process of scheduling an exam at the local base testing facility?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Two things:
A) an extension of up to three months may be requested by the student from AFIADL/ A4C3/ ECI...the form is on the Air University student webpage.
B) This is GRADUATE level material and not to be taken lightly. It is NOT the CAPSOC.

1. Scheduling can take up to a month... Per test.
Also : Base Ed does not usually allow a new exam to be scheduled till the first exam is passed.  - YMMV on this -

2. Exams are comparable to Master's level material, anything covered is fair game.

3. It helps, but as I said, it is graduate level material.

4. Notify CAP unit /CC + unit Professional Development Officer of your intentions, with a copy to the Wing Professional Development Officer. Call base ed office, explain who you are, explain what CAP is...get transferred to supervisor of office ( who either barely speaks English OR is a bored A1c who startled out of his near sleep state is convinced he is talking to a "real" Officer further complicating things... Get transferred to base CAP liaison... Get transferred back to Base Ed with Liaison on conference call who informs them that "yes, they have testing privileges" and quickly hangs up.... Set appointment with Base Ed (1-4 weeks in the future).

Arrive at Base Ed in Uniform of the Day ( they should provide this on the phone, either Class A's or BDU's... NO flightsuits)
Take Test
Pass Test
Schedule next exam after results of test 1 are processed (1 day to 1 week)
Rinse lather repeat...

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I took my SOS Exams at an ANG Base and it was not much of a problem.

First you should have given the Test Control Facility (TCF) # of the location you wanted to test at when you signed up. I believe they can look you up.

In my case, the scheduling times were limited. I was able to get between 0700 and 0800 during the week. I went in civilian clothes as I was heading directly to work afterward.

These are not easy tests. You need to know the material. That includes the assigned reading.

AirDX

I can pretty much echo what the others said above.  Call the base testing office you are going to work with to schedule.  Mine had limited seatings on limited days (PME tests only given on Tuesdays and Wednesday, with a 1 PM seating on Tuesday and 8 AM and 1 PM on Wednesday) and a limited number of workstations.  If you are testing at a busy base, call to get on the schedule at least a couple of weeks prior to your intended date.

A uniform is not required.  I went in my normal work attire (I'm a civilian employee of the AF).  I would advise taking a current CAP ID with your picture on it.  I went to my final test without my CAC, which I had left stuck in my office computer.  The test monitors were very reluctant to let me in based only on my driver's license; they wanted some kind of military ID.  I didn't argue, I just zipped out and grabbed my CAC and hurried back.

They will not schedule a test until you complete the one prior.

YMMV on the above, but that's how it worked for me.

Your education in leadership, etc. will stand you in good stead, HOWEVER, many if not all of the test questions will be specific to material covered in the course readings, AF doctrine documents, AFSO21, etc.  You will NOT be able to gloss over any of the reading material.

A couple of the active duty guys I work with knocked it out by taking a test a week while they were deployed.  That's about as quick as I've heard it being done.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: AirDX on February 10, 2012, 11:00:43 PM

A couple of the active duty guys I work with knocked it out by taking a test a week while they were deployed.  That's about as quick as I've heard it being done.

+ 1
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student