Squadron Offr College: exams

Started by RNOfficer, September 11, 2011, 02:11:14 AM

RNOfficer

I'm enrolled in distance Squadron Officer College at Air University.

I can't find any information about examinations. Are they online or at a "testing center"? How many are there and what is their format (multiple choice? short answer? essay?)

Are there sample questions anywhere?

Has anyone taken SOC recently that knows the answers?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

When you enrolled you should have provided the ID of the testing center you wanted to use.

They are computer tests. Traditional Multiple Choice and some match these number of things to those things.
(Picture the letters A to E and animals that names start with those letters. Drag the letter to the animal)

I think some fill in the blank as well.

You will know right after the exam if you passed. I think it's 6 separate exams that must be taken in order.

You (or your Sqdn / Group / Wing PD officer) should call the testing center ahead of time to make sure they know CAP can take exams and to schedule an appointment.

AirDX

You have to take them at an on-base education center.  There are three tests.  I completed the last test on Tuesday, 6 Sep 2011.  All the questions were multiple choice on all three tests.

You wing PDO should know how to get in touch with the testing center on-base, or if not the State Director will.  You'll have to make an appointment in advance - they only do PME testing on Tuesdays and Wednesdays here, one sitting at 1300 on Tues., and two sittings, 0800 and 1300 on Weds., AND only 8 workstations available to test on.  Your local office hours will vary.

EDIT: I should mention, according to our State Director, he is forbidden from administering SOS, ACSC and AWC paper tests.  It's the base testing center or nothing.

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AirDX

RNOfficer

Quote from: AirDX on September 11, 2011, 04:50:50 AM
You have to take them at an on-base education center.  There are three tests. 

There are three modules in the course. Is each test a test of that module?

How long is each test (# questions and time allowed)?

Can one take more than one test in a day?

Thanks

coudano

Yes each test is over its respective module.
You must take them in order.

I believe the number of questions varies, but I can't remember.

No you may not take them on the same day,
it requires at least a day or two for your pass to record, at which time you can schedule your following test attempt.

AirDX

Quote from: RNOfficer on September 12, 2011, 01:47:06 AM
Quote from: AirDX on September 11, 2011, 04:50:50 AM
You have to take them at an on-base education center.  There are three tests. 

There are three modules in the course. Is each test a test of that module?

How long is each test (# questions and time allowed)?

Can one take more than one test in a day?

Thanks

Each test covers one module.

Each test is 50 multiple choice questions.

You are given 3 hours per test (I took a max of 30 minutes).

You cannot take them in one day.  Need a separate reservation for each test.

Airborne Medic

Does the SOS still send hard copy materials or do they have you do it online now?

coudano

When I did it, online was the only option,
they give you a sign in to a blackboard site.

You can download the readings and print them yourself, if you want.

*Also, i'm sure you still have to indicate a test center at the time you enroll, but with the computer based testing, I imagine that probably doesn't really matter...  Should be able to make an appointment with, and go to basically any base education center and test...

DBlair

Thanks for this info, I'll be taking the SOS exams soon as well.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

Has anyone ever checked? Most University AFROTC Detachments have a Testing Officer, sao could tests be taken there? It would still have USAF supervision of the tests, same as Base educations Offices. And, would probably be easier and closer than many Bases.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

coudano

Quote from: BillB on November 23, 2011, 07:16:14 PM
Has anyone ever checked? Most University AFROTC Detachments have a Testing Officer, sao could tests be taken there? It would still have USAF supervision of the tests, same as Base educations Offices. And, would probably be easier and closer than many Bases.

Most AFROTC units are test centers in the list,
however none that I have seen lately have the computer based test setup.
Which is required for things like SOC.

Those Computer Test Centers require security and staffing that ROTC detachments don't have space, staff, or budget for.

They are test stops basically only so that they can administer the AFOQT to students in their detachments.

SAR-EMT1

FWIW...

Many AFROTC units actually send cadets to local base ed offices to take exams for the reasons mentioned above...

Example: AFOQT etc... is not done at the campus, but rather at a nearby base.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student