Specialty track Selection - which ones are hard to fill? (or have too many?)

Started by Custer, June 03, 2010, 12:01:59 AM

Custer

This is probably only an issue in a larger unit (Like the one I just joined) but what do you do when you have several people wanting to specialize in the same thing and nobody left who wants to do the other jobs?

Actually I just looked at the list and the only one I wouldn't want to do myself would be MLO which is probably a chaplains job anyway.  But now I'm curious - which ones do people shy away from?   And which ones have people politiking to get?  In a primarily flying squadron I'm guessing half them are operations tracked.  And probably nobody wants to do paperwork or log track

RiverAux

I have seen a larger squadron assign multiple assistants to staff officers when there aren't enough primary slots to meet the needs.  While I think in principle this is fine for some jobs where there actually could be enough work for several people to do, my suspicion is that most are just being pencil whipped and that if anyone is really doing the work, it is the primary officer.

jimmydeanno

Cadet Programs is definitely one of the more popular ones, since it is one of the reasons that many people join CAP.  The other two missions also have a decent following (Emergency Services and Aerospace). 

In my experience, I've actually found very few people who take on tracks like Inspector General, Finance, Legal, Character Development (Moral Leadership), Communications, Safety, etc.

Oddly enough, all of the units I've ever been in have had more than enough people wanting to do administration and personnel.

I've been part of three squadron "revivals" that have brought the units into the top 10% size wise and we didn't have any issues filling slots, because of the additional people.  To me the smaller unit that I was a cadet in had staffing issues because there weren't enough people to do everything.

In terms of selecting, I've always left it up to the person that joined - what do you want to do?  With that there's also been an information session that said "well, we kind of need people to do this."  Sometimes, those people will take on two tracks, the one they joined to do and one that was 'sold' to them that they didn't know we had.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 03, 2010, 12:28:05 AMTo me the smaller unit that I was a cadet in had staffing issues because there weren't enough people to do everything.

Definetely the more common problem in CAP.

manfredvonrichthofen

I am in a medium small sized squadron, 20 sm, and 20 cadets. We have three pilots and four sm trying to get observer wings. we have only one sm that is gt, plus me who is getting there. Other than that we only have admin, AE, finance and things of that sort. No one really in comms, or gt.

DBlair

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 03, 2010, 03:05:08 AM
I am in a medium small sized squadron, 20 sm, and 20 cadets. We have three pilots and four sm trying to get observer wings. we have only one sm that is gt, plus me who is getting there. Other than that we only have admin, AE, finance and things of that sort. No one really in comms, or gt.

Keep in mind that Mission Pilot, Observer, and GT are not "Specialty Tracks", but rather ES ratings. In addition to such ES roles, they should be involved with a Specialty Track as well.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

manfredvonrichthofen

I just started on the SM side, I have been out since 03. Thank you, I didn't know that they weren't specialty tracs. What all are the specialty tracks?

SarDragon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 03, 2010, 03:15:15 AM
I just started on the SM side, I have been out since 03. Thank you, I didn't know that they weren't specialty tracs. What all are the specialty tracks?

Most all of your questions will be answered by an in depth reading of CAPR 50-17. That's the reg that governs SM Professional Development.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eeyore

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 03, 2010, 12:28:05 AM
Oddly enough, all of the units I've ever been in have had more than enough people wanting to do administration and personnel.

I wish I was that lucky, I have a lot of trouble keeping Admin and Personnel filled, and it's never with anyone qualified enough to do it without lots of hand-holding.

We tend to have a lot move towards AE and CP with a smattering of everything else (sans Admin and Personnel). I have a medium sized squadron and I when I need positions filled, I play the you get one and I get one card. Usually turns out pretty well for all parties involved and keeps the positions that I need staffed.

DBlair

That is interesting. I've seen some unit commanders pretty much assign Admin as an extra specialty rating, or the member requests it in other circumstances, because supposedly Admin is extremely easy to progress and get a Master Rating, thereby completing the requirement for PD Awards/Promotion.

Short Field

Quote from: DBlair on June 03, 2010, 03:58:39 AM
That is interesting. I've seen some unit commanders pretty much assign Admin as an extra specialty rating, or the member requests it in other circumstances, because supposedly Admin is extremely easy to progress and get a Master Rating, thereby completing the requirement for PD Awards/Promotion.
It is also one of the additional duties that has to be done right and is easy for inspectors to inspect to make sure it is done right.  Good squadron administration takes a lot of hard work. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DBlair

Quote from: Short Field on June 03, 2010, 04:05:44 AM
Quote from: DBlair on June 03, 2010, 03:58:39 AM
It is also one of the additional duties that has to be done right and is easy for inspectors to inspect to make sure it is done right.  Good squadron administration takes a lot of hard work.

Agreed. If done right, I would think this would be a big/important role. Unfortunately, it seems like some units/members use it merely as a box filler.

Short Field

People (especially unit commanders) need to keep their priorities straight.  The squadron additional duty assignment comes first, then the member is entered in the appropriate specialty track to learn how to do the job.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SaBeR33

Quote from: Short Field on June 03, 2010, 01:16:28 PM
People (especially unit commanders) need to keep their priorities straight.  The squadron additional duty assignment comes first, then the member is entered in the appropriate specialty track to learn how to do the job.   

Quite true. You could also explain to your members that even the aircrews in AF flying squadrons have additional duties, such as safety and training, they must perform in addition to their primary duties. It's all a part of maintaining a well-run squadron.