Main Menu

Winter Safety

Started by davedove, December 21, 2006, 07:28:38 PM

davedove

It is highly recommended that everyone have a vehicle emergency kit, especially now the winter is starting.  The recent incident with the Kim family only serves to highlight this need.

It seems to me that a great solution would be to keep your personal ground team kit in your trunk at all times, especially the Extended duration pack.

This pack contains food, water, shelter materials, bedding, extra clothes, fire starting materials, signaling materials - all things great for when you're stranded in your car.  It extends your survival a few days, and that may be the critical few days between life and death.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major Carrales

Quote from: davedove on December 21, 2006, 07:28:38 PM
It is highly recommended that everyone have a vehicle emergency kit, especially now the winter is starting.  The recent incident with the Kim family only serves to highlight this need.

It seems to me that a great solution would be to keep your personal ground team kit in your trunk at all times, especially the Extended duration pack.

This pack contains food, water, shelter materials, bedding, extra clothes, fire starting materials, signaling materials - all things great for when you're stranded in your car.  It extends your survival a few days, and that may be the critical few days between life and death.

We actually had snow in 2004 in South Texas.  The resulting Chaos of a 100 year snowstorm on people who have not had it in their collective memory is quite a danger!

I don't underestimate the power of Winter!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

Yeah but for those normal South Texas winters remember to pack you extra hurache sandals and bermuda shorts. Also don't forget to bring sun screen and personal sized margaritas, Just incase.  ;D
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Quote from: carnold1836 on December 22, 2006, 01:27:00 PM
Yeah but for those normal South Texas winters remember to pack you extra hurache sandals and bermuda shorts. Also don't forget to bring sun screen and personal sized margaritas, Just incase.  ;D

Yes, harsh South Texas Winters...if the slick roads wen't a danger the margaritaistas sure are :o

Check this out...
http://www.caller2.com/2004/slideshows/ChristmasSnow04Tuley/pages/p-21SnowTuley1226.htm

Do you like it?  Yes or snow?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major_Chuck

Note to self:  List reasons why I hate snow....

Back on subject:  Dont' forget the check your tire pressures in your vehicles.  Every 10 degree drop in temperature can drop your tire pressure 1 pound.  (The spare, don't forget  the spare!).

Black ice and chemically treated roadways can cause hazards as well.  I've seen where the temperature drop has caused the chemicals put down on roadways to freeze as well.

Also...be aware of road hazards covered by snow.  Pot holes, debris, etc hidden by that beautiful blanket of white stuff can really mess your day up.

Tis all for now.

Chuck
Safety Officer
Middle East Region
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

JohnKachenmeister

I've lived in Florida for three years now, and I will never fail to enjoy NOT having to worry about winter snow!

I spent Christmas evening sitting out on my screened lanai by my pool having cocktails.  And yes, I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.

For Joe and anybody else who wants it, I have a killer recipe for Margaritas.
Another former CAP officer

BillB

The BIG question of 2006, while John was spending Christmas on his patio wearing shorts, where was the raven haired girl??????????
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2006, 12:33:58 AM
I've lived in Florida for three years now, and I will never fail to enjoy NOT having to worry about winter snow!

I spent Christmas evening sitting out on my screened lanai by my pool having cocktails.  And yes, I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops.

For Joe and anybody else who wants it, I have a killer recipe for Margaritas.

Send me that formula!!!  For the sake of Science!!!!

Long Live the PALM TREE ALLIANCE!!! ;D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 26, 2006, 05:26:18 PMBack on subject:  Dont' forget the check your tire pressures in your vehicles.  Every 10 degree drop in temperature can drop your tire pressure 1 pound.  (The spare, don't forget  the spare!).

You got some shaky computations there.

30 psi at 70°F only drops to 27.7 psi at 30°F. On top of that, there is frictional heating when the tire is rolling that will partly compensate for the temperature decrease.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Quote from: SarDragon on December 27, 2006, 02:05:39 AM
Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 26, 2006, 05:26:18 PMBack on subject:  Dont' forget the check your tire pressures in your vehicles.  Every 10 degree drop in temperature can drop your tire pressure 1 pound.  (The spare, don't forget  the spare!).

You got some shaky computations there.

30 psi at 70°F only drops to 27.7 psi at 30°F. On top of that, there is frictional heating when the tire is rolling that will partly compensate for the temperature decrease.

I was pulling the information from a Goodyear Product Service Bulletin #2000-29

Checking Inflation Pressure

Always check inflation when tires are COLD: when the vehicle has been driven less than one mile or at least one hour after driving. Inflation pressure increases as tires heat up during driving.

Note: Air pressure in a tire goes up (in warm weather) or down (in cold weather) 1 –2 pounds for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit of temperature change.

Tires naturally lose air pressure through permeation. It is common for tires to lose two or more psi per month so regular inflation checks are important.

Don't forget to check the inflation pressure of the spare.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

RiverAux

Is it just me or is CAP incredibly anal about tire preassure?   I have seen some people jump through all sorts of hoops to make sure this is hunky-dory, but stil get dinged on it during an inspection. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on December 27, 2006, 03:32:28 AM
Is it just me or is CAP incredibly anal about tire preassure?   I have seen some people jump through all sorts of hoops to make sure this is hunky-dory, but stil get dinged on it during an inspection. 

In the big picture, tire pressure is pretty important. Large deviations from norm, either over- or under-pressure, affect tire wear significantly and adversely. Underinflated tires can also seriously affect handling and breaking, as well as wet weather performance.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BillB on December 27, 2006, 01:05:16 AM
The BIG question of 2006, while John was spending Christmas on his patio wearing shorts, where was the raven haired girl??????????

Mixing the cocktails, of course!  Wearing short cutoffs and a cropped T-shirt!
Another former CAP officer

Psicorp

Quote from: SarDragon on December 27, 2006, 06:23:01 AM

In the big picture, tire pressure is pretty important. Large deviations from norm, either over- or under-pressure, affect tire wear significantly and adversely. Underinflated tires can also seriously affect handling and breaking, as well as wet weather performance.

Has there been any talk about switching from using compressed air to using Nitrogen on CAP vehicles?  Nearly all the tire dealers here have the ability to fill tires with it now.  This supposedly reduces/eliminates the natural permeation of tire pressure.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

A.Member

Quote from: Psicorp on December 27, 2006, 04:33:16 PM
Has there been any talk about switching from using compressed air to using Nitrogen on CAP vehicles?  Nearly all the tire dealers here have the ability to fill tires with it now.  This supposedly reduces/eliminates the natural permeation of tire pressure.
This is a marketing gimmick that is not worth the added expense (if you can get them to do it for free, then fine- everyone I've seen charges several dollars per tire).  We still need to check tire pressure regularly. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major_Chuck

I can't address the inspection process since I don't get to play in that playground, but CAP's response to tire pressures is in line with the guidance put out by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2005.

Between 1990 and 2002 there were 1576 motor vehicle crashes involving 15 passenger vans which resulted in 1,111 fatalities.  657 mvc's were single vehicle and 349 resulted in a roll over.  The NTHSA study drew a direct link between vehicle handling and tire pressures.

I've got a copy of the report and its findings if anyone wants it, just send me an email.

-Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

A.Member

Quote from: SarDragon on December 27, 2006, 06:23:01 AM
...and gas mileage (not a safety issue but a financial one).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."