Main Menu

Standardized Data Formats

Started by JeffDG, December 19, 2013, 06:37:15 PM

JeffDG

I just got an e-mail about beta testing a tool for logging items on a mission...I'll let the author announce it in his own good time, but it got me thinking...

Since it will be decades before some crappy mission management tool ever sees the light of day from NHQ, member-created tools are going to happen, just so that we can do our jobs more efficiently.  Without starting a debate about IMU, I think it would help if there were some kind of collaboration about how these things can talk to each other.

I'm a big believer in open interfaces between systems.  I don't care how your system works internally, really I don't...but for the love of God provide a way to pass data to it, and extract data from it, in some standard way.

I like XMLish data transfer.  Yes, it sucks from a bandwidth perspective, but it's usually human readable, and has a plethora of APIs that can interpret and utilize it.

As an example, what if we could define a standard XML schema for a mission briefing:
<xml><MissionBriefing>
<missionObjective>Execute our mission effecitvely and quickly</missionObjective>
<safety>Don't do dumb ****.  Call Knock-it-Off if you see other people doing dumb ****</safety>
<Ops>
<AirOps>Fly at least 1,000' AGL.  Weather is clear and a million.</AirOps>
<GroundOps>Ground teams will be assigned search sectors by the GBD</GroundOps>
</Ops>
<Planning>Report to the Resouce Unit Lead if you have specific training objectives. 
Check in with the Demob Unit Lead before departing so we can get you signed out</Planning>
<Logistics>
<CommUnit><Main>Air1</Main>
<LocalRepeater>R90</LocalRepeater>
<AirborneRepeater>R99</AirborneRepeater>
<RequiredChecks>OpsNormal checks required if you haven't talked to base for :30</RequiredChecks>
<MiscNotes>All routine calls are implied OpsNormal unless specified otherwise</MiscNotes></CommUnit>
<FoodUnit>We're getting Subway, should be here about 11:30</FoodUnit></Logistics>
<FinanceAdmin><CostUnit><Budget>2500</Budget></CostUnit>
<SigninUnit>Make sure you have your armbands, if you see people
without them, please make sure they get a safety briefing before operating</SigninUnit></Finance>
</MissionBriefing>
</xml>

If we could agree on a schema, then if someone builds a mission briefing with a desktop/server app, they could share it with an Android or iOS app, and it would all get formatted on the item, so you'd always have the Comm Briefing etc.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Yes.

This type of standard should be coming from NHQ IT. They would publish the DTD file on a public server so these apps could validate the XML.

Unless this happens I would fear the apps in NER would work fine till they had to co-ordinate with MER (Sandy anyone?) and something would be off.

JeffDG

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on December 19, 2013, 09:36:20 PM
Yes.

This type of standard should be coming from NHQ IT. They would publish the DTD file on a public server so these apps could validate the XML.

Unless this happens I would fear the apps in NER would work fine till they had to co-ordinate with MER (Sandy anyone?) and something would be off.

It's not going to come from NHQ IT, because it would facilitate apps that were "Not Invented Here" by allowing them to interact in a simple way.

So, why couldn't reasonable members get together and contribute to a schema?

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on December 19, 2013, 09:47:19 PM
So, why couldn't reasonable members get together and contribute to a schema?

For the same reason people not invited to a party aren't generally welcome.
There's no point in burning calories if the powers aren't interested in the result, and
if this is being done by contractors, then volunteer time is a direct competition for
billable hours, which is supposed to be the CAP model and ROI, but these days
seems to be viewed as a hassle.

"That Others May Zoom"