Main Menu

CAP Form 120

Started by N6RVT, August 04, 2021, 01:19:53 PM

N6RVT

One of the major components of this is the block where you list the members previous awards and decorations.

I do not see any way to get this information, even on members of my own unit (where I happen to be the personnel officer)

Either I am missing something here, or I just found out why awards are soo difficult to submit.

jeders

As the personnel officer, are you not maintaining personnel files on all of your members?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on August 04, 2021, 04:31:36 PMAs the personnel officer, are you not maintaining personnel files on all of your members?

^^^^
Anything they are wearing should have been documented somehow in their jacket, and
now in eServices.

With that said, rarely have I bothered with that section, and it's never been an issue.

I just got a dec recently and that area was blank.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: jeders on August 04, 2021, 04:31:36 PMAs the personnel officer, are you not maintaining personnel files on all of your members?

Everything from the last 6 weeks is in there.  Thats how long I've had the slot.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2021, 05:41:12 PM

^^^^
Anything they are wearing should have been documented somehow in their jacket, and now in eServices.  With that said, rarely have I bothered with that section, and it's never been an issue.  I just got a dec recently and that area was blank.

Well now everything is supposed to be in eservices, but I cannot see any way to look up any decorations & service ribbons other than my own.

I understand not bothering with it, I do not actually see how previous awards are relevant.

RiverAux

Well, it could be relevant to a second (or later) award of some decorations that are shown differently on the rack.  Or, if someone has already received one of the higher awards you might think twice about awarding another one -- both should be independently justifiable of course. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 04, 2021, 06:17:15 PMWell now everything is supposed to be in eservices, but I cannot see any way to look up any decorations & service ribbons other than my own.

Anything properly awarded, or caught up later, would be on the Awards/Decorations tab in their
eservices record.

If you have access to their records, and nothing is in there, then nothing has been properly awarded
since this area was available, and those members have not bothered to catch up.

Can you get to all of your unit's members eServices records?

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 04, 2021, 06:17:15 PMI understand not bothering with it, I do not actually see how previous awards are relevant.

Maybe not so much in CAP, but in the Military, this block would be used to upgrade, downgrade or deny an award.

For an example, a Soldier, during a three year tour, was awarded two Achievement Medals, a Commendation Medal and was put in for a PCS (End of Tour) Award of a Meritorious Service Medal. Previously to this assignment he had been awarded an Achievement Medal and a Volunteer Service Medal.

Based on his history, a MSM is justified as his service during this tour was outstanding.

Same situation, 3 year tour, but no awards during the tour, Soldier did a good job on his annual Evaluation Reports but no impact awards during it. The MSM would likely be downgraded by higher headquarters to a Commendation Medal.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Dwight DuttonOne of the major components of this is the block where you list the members previous awards and decorations.

I do not see any way to get this information, even on members of my own unit (where I happen to be the personnel officer)...

And this is the reason why paper, in this age of automation, is still important! Members are supposed to post their achievements somewhere. If these achievements are not listed, they can add them as historical items, just they have to provide proof, the papers they applied for and were granted such achievements!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

"Previous awards not available this headquarters"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.