Main Menu

MOVSM

Started by GroundHawg, June 10, 2021, 05:41:45 PM

GroundHawg

Does anyone have any writeups for the MOVSM specifically for CAP service?

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 10, 2021, 10:39:13 PMWhat is MOVSM?
What a cadet hollers when all the seniors are blocking the donut table?

No?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I submitted this one for an active duty AF Captain (Nurse). I was his CAP Group CC at the time (August 2020) and in a completely different AF Wing. I simply went into myPers, provided the below statement, and clicked "Submit to Unit Commander". It was actually approved within 24 hours and without any prior coordination. I hadn't even met or spoken to his commander, I just submitted it "in the blind" and it worked.

Quote from: "CMSgt/Col Stonewall"Captain Tentpeg has continuously been a volunteer member of the Civil Air Patrol for five years, serving in two wings, Illinois and Ohio, both in the capacity of Health Services Officer, along with an operational role in Emergency Services, including Search and Rescue. He is a qualified ground search team member with recognition for a "FIND" during a real world electronic search mission. More recently, Captain Tentpeg took part in a statewide event to distribute "remobilization kits" by air and ground teams to each individual unit. He coordinated with aircrews to transfer seven of these kits throughout Group VII in Southwest Ohio. Furthermore, Captain Tentpeg has attended both wing (state) and national level conferences in addition to other education and training required to progress through Civil Air Patrol's professional development program. Throughout his five years as a volunteer, Captain Tentpeg has been the key advisor on all health services issues to unit commanders, including during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic that literally shut down all Civil Air Patrol activities. His counsel to the Group Commander garnered a shared reality of the situation locally and nationally, that helped craft a plan to return our volunteers to regular, in-person meetings and activities.

Captain Tentpeg's volunteerism, drive, and genuine interest in serving his community contributes to the overall success of more than 60,000 volunteers nationwide.

I have two MOVSMs, both for CAP. I only saw the write-up for my first one in like 1997 or 1998, shortly after the MOVSM was created, which is when I was in the Army. Later, in the mid-2000's, in the Air National Guard, another MOVSM just showed up in my file. No clue who, when, or how it got there.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here ya go, this is the memorandum that was submitted on my behalf in 1997 by my CAP squadron commander at the time. He was also an Active Duty AF Lt Col, but the award was so new, no one knew how to submit it, so he sent my Company Commander this memorandum and somehow they got it done.

Hard to believe this is 24 years old.

Quote from: "Best CAP Sq/CC Ever"MEMORANDUM FOR COMMANDING OFFICER, COMPANY C, 3RD BN, 116 INF, 29 ID, VA ARNG

2 Jan 97

FROM: Commander, Mount Vernon Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol

SUBJECT: Nomination for Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal

1. I nominate Corporal Peter K. Bowden, Virginia Army National Guard, for receipt of the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM). In addition to his service as a member of the Virginia Army National Guard, Corporal Bowden has been a volunteer member of the Civil Air Patrol, United States Air Force Auxiliary, for more than ten years. He currently holds the rank of Civil Air Patrol Captain and is the Deputy Commander for Cadets of the Mount Vernon Squadron located at Ft. Belvoir, VA. To put it simply and quite literally, Corporal Bowden is the driving force behind the renaissance of the Mount Vernon Composite Squadron and is the sole reason that the Squadron now has a viable and vibrant cadet program having resurrected it from a dormant state. Additionally, Corporal Bowden acts as my principal advisor on most every aspect of squadron operations. I base this nomination of the following elements:

a. Membership Recruiting and Retention: Shortly before Corporal Bowden assumed his duties, five (5) cadets were in regular attendance and total active membership numbers never went into double digits. Through program development and aggressive recruiting through school, flyers, posters, the media, and the Internet, regular attendance has increased eight-fold. His cadet program retention rate is 100% with every single active cadet renewing his membership. In fact, two former members rejoined the squadron after hearing about and seeing a dynamic cadet program.

b. Cadet Schedule: Corporal Bowden established a six (6) month meeting schedule and training plan for the cadet program. He published a cadet schedule in January and July and distributes them to the cadet corps so that they appropriately prepare for and anticipate each meeting. He does not take action in a vacuum; rather he guides and facilitates the cadet staff, from the cadet commander to the element leaders, in devising their own goals and objectives and translating them into a training schedule. He even solicits inputs from cadets over the Internet. Results have been dramatic in that all scheduled training has taken place while allowing room for necessary adjustments. After establishing and implementing the structure, he is able to mentor cadets providing guidance and direction to them as well as monitoring their progress. Corporal Bowden has also increased senior member participation in the cadet program by having three (3) full time assistants where before there were none. Providing a workable structure has been the key to program viability as evidenced by:

(1) Twelve (12) cadets earning Emergency Services qualifications, a 400% increase over our previous posture.

(2) Nine (9) cadets earning Radio Operator Authorization, a 300% increase over our previous posture.

(3) Thirty (30) cadets have completed Phase I, one (1) cadet has completed Phase III, and one (1) cadet has completed Phase IV. Within Phase II, cadets are progressing appropriately according to ability with most cadets completing three (3) achievements. All progression represents a 100% increase from previous years.

(4) Cadet orientation flight completions have increased 750% from last year's baseline.

(5) Three (3) cadets participated in national special activities, up from zero the year before.

(6) First time encampment attendance was (9) up from zero (0) the year before.

c. Training Flight: A novel concept has been institutionalized in the form of Training Flight which Corporal Bowden established. The goal of Training Flight is to take new members and convert them into fully qualified cadets who have completed Phase I requirements in nine (9) weeks. Training Flight is more just classroom instruction on drill and ceremonies and other Curry Achievement requirements, it is also a mind set and way of life. New cadets are segregated from other cadets until they complete Training Flight which culminates with a graduation ceremony where they are awarded rank, a squadron hat, a squadron t-shirt, and a squadron patch. That all wear an alternative uniform until permanent CAP uniforms are available and all wear special name tags. Group trips are made to the Wing Warehouse and local clothing sales outlets to obtain uniforms. Afterwards, there are classes not just in uniform wear but how to iron and sew uniforms as well. The program is administered through the established framework by a senior cadet.

d. E-Mail: Corporal Bowden makes extensive use of e-mail for cadet communications and has even motivated senior member ranks to do the same. The squadron now boasts over 50 active e-mail addresses as a result of his efforts. It has quickly become the definitive source of all squadron information.

e. Other Accomplishments:

(1) He has his staff handle all cadet personnel and administrative actions thereby assisting the squadron personnel and administration officer. Cadets have been appropriately rewarded for recruiting, rescue finds, encampment attendances, and special activities when before they were not.

(2) Corporal Bowden visited his cadets at special activities to insure they were maximizing their learning experience. At the national Ground Rescue School, he was even invited by the Senior Staff to assist as an instructor for that day.

(3) Fostering cooperation, Corporal Bowden conducted two joint meetings with Fairfax Composite Squadron and attended two events hosted by the Prince William Composite Squadron, Virginia Wing. He also led a ground team in assisting with a practice mission with Leesburg Composite Squadron, Virginia Wing.

(4) With respect to Emergency Services, Corporal Bowden was again at the forefront showing cadets proper procedures. He planned and executed two squadron field training exercises providing realistic ground training experiences and even integrated air support for one of the exercises. Additionally, he was a key member in locating Emergency Locator Transmitters on nine (9) separate missions and was extensively involved in ground team operations during a missing child search, conducting six (6) sorties.

(5) In addition to his service in the Virginia Army National Guard as an Infantry Team Leader, he is a full-time student at George Mason University studying Criminal Justice and employed by the [REDACTED].

2. As you can see, Corporal Bowden has accomplished the impossible in a year's time breathing new life into a squadron while making it all look easy. In my 24 year association with Civil Air Patrol, I have never before seen such a dynamic, well-rounded, motivated, complete, and capable an individual as I see in Corporal Bowden. He is held in the highest regard by his peers and is distinctively mature beyond his years. Twice before having served as an Air Force Squadron Commander, I only wish I had the luxury of having a dozen Peter Bowden's in my squadrons. I know you will agree that he is a must select for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal as there is no one more deserving.

Name Redacted, Lieutenant Colonel, CAP
Commander
Serving since 1987.

GroundHawg

I will let y'all know how it goes

Stonewall

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 11, 2021, 03:57:17 PMI will let y'all know how it goes

Is it for someone in the Air Force or another branch? And what format are you using? Memo to the person's commander?
Serving since 1987.

farsightusf2017

The hardest part of writing a MOVSM for anyone is trying to translate the CAP language and understand the impact of what people do. The Navy has zero standard process for the MOVSM so add in the distance from the air force it can be hard for the sailors in the room. Happy to help anyone out if they themselves or have a sailor they want recognized via MOVSM

PHall

It's not that hard to do in the Air Force. The approving authority in the AF is the first Colonel O-6 in your chain of command. Which is usually a Group Commander (Operations Group, Maintenance Group, Mission Support Group, Medical Group).
There is no "official" certificate for this award. One of the Awards and Decs guys in my wing made one so we would have something to present at Commander's Call when most awards and decs are presented.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Stonewall on June 11, 2021, 04:26:04 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on June 11, 2021, 03:57:17 PMI will let y'all know how it goes

Is it for someone in the Air Force or another branch? And what format are you using? Memo to the person's commander?

It's for a Army Guardsman

I had planned on sending his command a memo and am prepared to do the full write up if they ask

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 16, 2021, 12:51:46 PM

I had planned on sending his command a memo and am prepared to do the full write up if they ask

Is there anything in the Army Regs about the MOVSM?

LSThiker

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 16, 2021, 12:51:46 PM

I have 2 MOVSMs, one from the Guard and one from AD.  The form that is posted on HRC website is supposed to be the form used.  It may or may not be the form that the command uses, especially the NG.  Each state seems to do things their own way.  For the Guard, a long narrative was required plus approval from Company all the way to the TAG (O-8).  For the AD, the form was required, plus I had to sign up at my the local ACS to log all of the hours, plus had to have an endorsement from the volunteer organization. The approval was at an O-6 level.  The regulations state that an O-5 is the required approval level though.

The first step is the contact that member's CoC.  Regardless of whether they use the form or not, the Commander is going to be the one whom decides whether the recommendation goes forward to the BN.

Shuman 14

I have one as well. While I was a Captain on Active Duty at Fort Sheridan, IL, I was also a Reserve Deputy Marshal on a small town back home in Indiana.

I would travel home on weekends and work the Road all day Saturday and half-day on Sunday and then drive back to Sheridan.

The Deputy Chief wrote a letter to my HHC Commander thanking him for allowing me travel home to do this and explained than the manpower pinch the Department would have been in if they couldn't count on me to cover the weekend shifts.

Not sure if the form ever got filled out or not but the award approved at Group (O-6) and Brigade (O-7) and the next Brigade Formation, the General was pinning it to my chest.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present