Beating the skeleton of the horse

Started by N6RVT, June 03, 2021, 01:07:53 PM

N6RVT

Someone showed up at my squadron meeting wearing the blue & white.

When did that go out?  2005 or so?  Current regulation doesn't even mention it anymore.

Fubar

I saw someone brand-new show up once in blues with their pants bloused in combat boots. If that was ever in the comic book, it was a long time ago.

N6RVT

Quote from: Fubar on June 03, 2021, 01:39:07 PMI saw someone brand-new show up once in blues with their pants bloused in combat boots. If that was ever in the comic book, it was a long time ago.

Only if they also had the white laces in the boots.  Actually for a new member I can be tolerant, understanding and instructive.

In my case it was an LTC who was around when that uniform actually was a thing.  His explanation when I pointed it out was "Well, that's life in the big city".  I have also seen him at formal events wearing a blues shirt so faded it almost looked like aviator whites.

But they guy also legitimately does seem to do a lot of work, so he just goes around looking like that.

Eclipse

Phase out on the CSU was 1 Jan 2012

Unless this person dropped out over 10 years ago and popped up back as a member randomly at your meeting,
odds are people have been looking the other way the entire time.

(or there is another story)

Then again, people wearing wing patches on blues continued to pop up at various events
for a decade after that sundown.

I can imagine this Summer and Fall will be a Happy Fun Time of BDUs, & tabs, & berets, punctuated
with "I didn't hear that" / "you can't make me".  With the best part being it'll be encampment
CC's and activity PICs having to be the bad guys because Unit CC's will be unaware.

PROTIP:  NHQ - now is the time to send an "all" reminder email.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Fubar on June 03, 2021, 01:39:07 PMI saw someone brand-new show up once in blues with their pants bloused in combat boots. If that was ever in the comic book, it was a long time ago.
To be somewhat fair, combat boot are authorized with the blues. No mention is made about blousing, though.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on June 03, 2021, 05:07:26 PMNo mention is made about blousing, though

You haven't lived until you've seen someone blousing they gray tactical pants with the golf shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2021, 04:51:40 PMPhase out on the CSU was 1 Jan 2012.  Unless this person dropped out over 10 years ago and popped up back as a member randomly at your meeting, odds are people have been looking the other way the entire time.

After a year of virtual meetings we had our first "formal" in person meeting yesterday.

There were four of us in blues all wearing them correctly.

There were four more wearing the white shirt with cargo pants, but these were newer members wearing the [mess]e shirt for the first time and unaware CAP had two definitions of grey pants.  Also, corporate uniform, so not really a big deal.

Everyone else was in polo shirts which is all most of them have.

Then there was this guy.

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2021, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: arajca on June 03, 2021, 05:07:26 PMNo mention is made about blousing, though

You haven't lived until you've seen someone blousing they gray tactical pants with the golf shirt.
Unfortunately, I have...

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on June 03, 2021, 06:46:36 PM

Unfortunately, I have...

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: arajca on June 03, 2021, 06:46:36 PM
Unfortunately, I have...
I've seen shorts & flipflops with the golf shirt.

Problem with the CSU (In addition to being a decade obsolete) is that its not seen as a Corporate uniform being worn incorrectly, its seen as a USAF uniform being worn wrong.  Big difference.

NIN

I would *LOVE* to see that! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2021, 12:07:51 AM

I would *LOVE* to see that! :)

Have seen it, it wasn't pretty.

Hawk200

I've actually seen that done with both tactical pants, and regular slacks.

At the same event.

Kinda shook my head, and moved on.

N6RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 04, 2021, 01:06:18 AM
I've actually seen that done with both tactical pants, and regular slacks. At the same event.

Kinda shook my head, and moved on.
I think at one point if you were on an actual UDF mission while wearing the polo outfit you could sort of do that.  It was a substitute for not having BDU/BBDU.  I never did though.

Eclipse

Why? On a UDF you should not be anywhere that blousing is needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

And yet, i've found myself in ankle deep mud in a tent with other agency people (local and state EMA) who were all wearing tactical trousers and golf shirts... and boots... And later as I laboriously cleaned the mud out of my black wing tips (and socks), I determined that (a) I would follow their example and run with the rest of the pack and (b) I wasn't gonna waste my nice shoes again.

So yeah, I've served as a GBD, in an actual SAR command post, in a tent, in the woods, wearing this rig, and it looked completely in place with the three or so other agencies present, all of whom were blousing their tac pants.

So that.

V/r
Spam

NovemberWhiskey

With CAPR 39-1 the way it is right now, CAP tactical polo + grey tactical pants + black nylon belt + black boots (+ optional CAP ball cap) is a completely legit variation on the Corporate Working Uniform that fits in with the fashion norms that predominate in emergency management.

Eclipse

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on June 04, 2021, 04:34:54 PMgrey tactical pants + black nylon belt + black boots (+ optional CAP ball cap) is a completely legit variation on the Corporate Working Uniform that fits in with the fashion norms that predominate in emergency management.

Yes, always was, just not bloused.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2021, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on June 04, 2021, 04:34:54 PMgrey tactical pants + black nylon belt + black boots (+ optional CAP ball cap) is a completely legit variation on the Corporate Working Uniform that fits in with the fashion norms that predominate in emergency management.

Yes, always was, just not bloused.

But that matches a combat 'stache, yellow ascot, Ray Bans and Cav hat. (Joke)

Yet not joking, I can see logical reasons to do it, c.f. my comment about ankle deep mud. Plus the real world example, in this instance, when the dog team guys and EMA guys are also blousing as I'd noted. To borrow from evolutionary biology (not my area) this is rather like convergent evolution, but in uniform terms, between different agencies.

V/r
Spam

PS So this was kind of like the Cheech and Chong hamburger routine "I'm SORRY Oh, so very sorry (... not sorry)".

Eclipse

You can find a reason to do anything if you try hard enough. Heck if the mud was that deep
maybe you should have been wearing hip waders.

Wandering around an airshow, inside a normal ICP, or at a weekly meeting isn't one of them.

In my attempts to find a funny pic of someone sinking in mud, I discovered lots of Rule 34 and now must bleach my eyes.((*sigh*)

"That Others May Zoom"