New AF Female Hair Standards

Started by jb3, January 25, 2021, 04:16:11 AM

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on June 15, 2021, 10:34:38 PMHahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  You said Air Force and hand to hand combat in the same sentence.

Dude, you really need to regain some semblance of reality.

As an Army Military Police Officer, I have had numerous opportunities to work with Air Force Security Forces in my nearly 32 years of Service and I can tell you they do go "hands on" when required.

So my statement is quite grounded in reality and actual experience.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on June 16, 2021, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: PHall on June 15, 2021, 10:34:38 PMHahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  You said Air Force and hand to hand combat in the same sentence.

As an Army Military Police Officer, I have had numerous opportunities to work with Air Force Security Forces in my nearly 32 years of Service and I can tell you they do go "hands on" when required.

Air Force Security Forces is about 5% of the Air Force. Even including all the Special Operations "Operators" about 85% of the Air Force doesn't go outside the wire because their job doesn't require it.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2021, 08:10:47 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on June 16, 2021, 04:15:05 PM

Air Force Security Forces is about 5% of the Air Force. Even including all the Special Operations "Operators" about 85% of the Air Force doesn't go outside the wire because their job doesn't require it.

What is the relevance of this to this debate message board?

Shuman 14

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 17, 2021, 07:02:23 PMWhat is the relevance of this to this debate message board?

My original comment had relevance, PHALL's vacuous response did not, it was all chest thumping and gorilla dust beyond that.

Thread lock coming soon I suspect.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

baronet68

Beyond the ramifications of combat duties or getting the locks of one's coiffure caught in machinery, I have to say that the buzz among the current and prospective female members that I've spoken with is positive.  They are all looking forward to a time when CAP might adopt similar guidelines. 

The most frequent comments I hear are about how these changes will reduce or eliminate hair loss/breakage and headaches.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

baronet68

Quote from: etoddI see nothing wrong with this:

Yes the IDF seems to have let their hair down, long ago:

Quote from: etodd on June 17, 2021, 09:10:32 PMI see nothing wrong with this:

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Stonewall

A few things here.

PHall, with regards to "hand to hand combat", or what in the 2000's we call combatives, believe it or not, it is a regular training requirement for the Security Forces career field. Even in my ANG SFS, we do combatives for the first hour of the first day (Saturday) of each drill weekend. We have four combatives instructors, to include one female, who happens to wear a ponytail, as do all of our female airmen.

Since the changes occurred and allowed ponytails, it took about two days to get used to and now it's more common to see them than not.  What I find funny is all the women in the Air Force, including my wife, who were first outspokenly against it, but ALL of them now opt for the ponytail.

Cool thing that changed with the announcement last week that the AF now allows OCP (multicam) baseball caps in lieu of the OCP patrol cap, is that women can now pull their ponytails through the opening in the back.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on June 19, 2021, 10:05:39 PMCool thing that changed with the announcement last week that the AF now allows OCP (multicam) baseball caps in lieu of the OCP patrol cap, is that women can now pull their ponytails through the opening in the back.

:cringe:

Air Force is going back to ballcaps?

Yeesh, I was more than happy to get rid of mine. They wore out a lot faster than PCs.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 23, 2021, 05:59:03 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on June 19, 2021, 10:05:39 PMCool thing that changed with the announcement last week that the AF now allows OCP (multicam) baseball caps in lieu of the OCP patrol cap, is that women can now pull their ponytails through the opening in the back.

:cringe:

Air Force is going back to ballcaps?

Yeesh, I was more than happy to get rid of mine. They wore out a lot faster than PCs.

Who really wears a hat, regardless of type, enough to wear out fast?

Security Forces wear the same berets for years, sometimes a decade, before needing to be replaced. I have a multicam ball cap that I've had for 10 years that has been worn off and on for more than 10 years that's still serviceable.

I really don't think it's an issue for any style/type of hat.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on June 26, 2021, 06:52:03 PMWho really wears a hat, regardless of type, enough to wear out fast?

Security Forces wear the same berets for years, sometimes a decade, before needing to be replaced. I have a multicam ball cap that I've had for 10 years that has been worn off and on for more than 10 years that's still serviceable.

I really don't think it's an issue for any style/type of hat.

The complete cloth ones issued back in the late '80s and early '90s were garbage. Then there was an optional "trucker" style that was also complete garbage.

I've got a few tactical hats that have held up just fine, but the Air Force issued ones were utter crap. I was happy to get rid of the ones I had. My first year in the Air Force, I got washed back into a class that was entirely Army, and one Friday the class leader asked me what my hat size was. Monday morning, he hands me two patrol caps. At the time, you couldn't buy the PCs unless you had an Army ID.

If they get some quality ones, that'd be good. I won't hold my breath though.

Doesn't really matter though. Retired now, so I won't be seeing them anyway. (Which is something I guess I should be thankful for. Although, there's other things I'm a little annoyed about missing out on, but it is what it is.)