Main Menu

Wing Appointments

Started by tx_maineiac, February 27, 2019, 04:24:29 AM

tx_maineiac

Where/what are the regs for appointments to Wing positions? I haven't had any luck so far finding anything.

etodd

Network and smooze at all Wing Conferences? Work Mission Base at all SAREXs, and bring coffee and donuts to Wing folks there?

;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

tx_maineiac

So no need for experience or skills except for puckering? How about having at least a Technician rating in the position?

SarDragon

Well, nobody said that.

Generally, some demonstrated skills and experience are usually required to get you in the running. Final selection may be dependent on any or all of the various factors stated above.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tx_maineiac

I am not bucking for any Director positions, as I don't feel I have been in long enough to do it properly.

CAP9907

Check your Wings website for vacancies and they may have an application process with more info including qualifications for a position. I'd direct a question like that to the Wing Chief of Staff if you really want a (local) answer.. after consulting with your local Commander, etc.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Ozzy

Quote from: tx_maineiac on February 27, 2019, 04:58:07 AM
So no need for experience or skills except for puckering? How about having at least a Technician rating in the position?

Skills can be taught and experience can be obtained. Members with consistency and time to assist wings (For the extended amount of time needed) is either you have or you have not, and is more rare.

Wing Commanders and Chief of Staffs generally want to know someone before letting them on the staff... if you really are interested in doing so, volunteer to assist with several wing events and activities as planning staff (Not just the regular, show-up-to-the-activity-staff) and get to be known.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

EMT-83

Once you figure out what role you'd like to play, get rated and become proficient in that job at the local level. Network and become the go-to SME in your area on that subject.

Wing will come looking for you. Be careful of what you wish for; you might just get it.

FW

Quote from: tx_maineiac on February 27, 2019, 04:24:29 AM
Where/what are the regs for appointments to Wing positions? I haven't had any luck so far finding anything.
You live in Maine.  There are like 150 Senior members in the Wing.  All you need to do is be active, and have the willingness to serve.  New Blood is really needed, as there have been members serving on wing staff since the Wright Bros. were building bikes in Dayton... >:D Just talk to your Sq./CC; probably doing double duty as a Wing Staff officer as well.

MSG Mac

In addition to all the other advice. Find out if your office of choice has a need for an assistant. You can do this by going directly to the officer in the position.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: tx_maineiac on February 27, 2019, 04:24:29 AM

Unless there is professional training or certification indicated in an applicable regulation, there are no experience, T-I-G,
or training requirements for any staff positions beyond respiration and gravitational attraction in proper proportion,
and that includes Wing, Region, and the National Commander(s) (as the indicated "requirements" have "shoulds" and waiver options).

I personally know of a few Wing CCs over the years who were not even members the year before, and it's fairly common
for 2nd Lts to be filling director roles at the Wing level.

This is obviously not a best practice, simply the reality of staffing often unpopular / unexciting staff positions from a pool of volunteers
with their own goals and intentions to participate.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on February 27, 2019, 04:35:37 AM
Network and smooze at all Wing Conferences?

;)

Psh. Our Wing hasn't held a conference in two years, and that was only because it was held as a joint Region Conference.

Chappie

My experience (having served at wing/region/national positions) is that one most possess a proven track record and a good working knowledge of the organization.  This can only be gained through pursuing your professional development, participating in activities and events, developing relationships with peers within the organization.  One must also be willing to take the time as well as spend energy and money in order to serve.  Above all, what is the motivation to pursue that position.  Nothing is more frustrating than to see people who seek a title or rank but do not want to fulfill the responsibility that goes with it.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

MSgt Van

x2 on the assistant position recommendation.  Let the program director or chief of staff know you're interested. The assistant route is a good way to get your foot in the door, and learn the ins and outs of Wing programs. 

Ned

Many wing and region assignments are part-time "in addition to other duties" positions.  For many years I spent countless hours working on CAWG cadet programs projects (encampments, schools, etc.), including projects and duties that span months or years as a wing CP officer.  But my membership remained at the local squadron, where I was also participating regularly on Tuesday nights.

It was only when I became the Director of Cadet Programs that the wing commander transferred me to the headquarters.  Same story for my region and national assignments.  Most start with part time IAOD positions while you are still working in the squadron.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Ned on February 27, 2019, 07:24:00 PM
Many wing and region assignments are part-time "in addition to other duties" positions.  For many years I spent countless hours working on CAWG cadet programs projects (encampments, schools, etc.), including projects and duties that span months or years as a wing CP officer.  But my membership remained at the local squadron, where I was also participating regularly on Tuesday nights.

It was only when I became the Director of Cadet Programs that the wing commander transferred me to the headquarters.  Same story for my region and national assignments.  Most start with part time IAOD positions while you are still working in the squadron.

Similar story on my end.

I'm our Wing's Cadet Special Activities Officer. I'm still assigned as CDC in my home unit. I first met our Wing DCP in a TLC class that I asked to be an instructor in, and our relationship just built upwards from there. I didn't know a lot of other names on a personal level before joining the staff.

Getting yourself out there helps. There's a bit of networking involved. But I think it's less networking as it is demonstrating your abilities in front of your peers.

I staffed Encampment several times. I've been at a number of Wing-hosted (or Wing-sanctioned) CP activities. I've taught at professional development weekends. I wasn't out to get a higher echelon job. I was asked out of nowhere.

So if you want to get involved on Wing staff, have some existing involvement with the Wing in a non-staff capacity and send someone an email saying "If you need any assistance, I'd like to get involved. Here are some examples of my experience in this role." Or, you can wait to be asked, and see how long that takes.

There's definitely a level of nepotism. That will exist anywhere. It's politics. Welcome to the world.

MacGruff

My route to Wing level assignments was as follows:

I was the Squadron PDO and pushed the Group commander to get us scheduled for an SLS that my members needed. I pestered and pestered him and wrote memos and emails until he gave up in frustration and made me the Group PDO. I organized an SLS and got noticed by the Wing PD Director. I then went to CLC at another Wing event, ended up directing an SLS at another group and - lo and behold - ended up being the Assistant Director for the Wing PDO.

After a couple of years, I was in a successful squadron and was speaking with the Wing Director of PD and told him that my workload was getting a bit lighter so I could help him out a bit more in the coming year. I did not realize that the Wing CC and COS were standing behind me until two heavy hands landed on my shoulders and I was immediately "voluntold" into a different Wing Director position that I had never even considered!

Bottom line - do what interests you and move the organization forward, if you want to help ... and can ... the work will find its way to you!