Vanguard's "Blue Utility Coverall"

Started by DG, February 23, 2010, 02:59:55 PM

Stonewall

Mine looks like something a mechanic at Jiffy Lube would wear.  But it's the same one you describe, got it from Scamguard.
Serving since 1987.

Mustang

Quote from: Strick on February 23, 2010, 08:19:12 PM
I would recommend the proper brand that is Desinged to mil-spec minus the nomex of course.
You mean Propper?  I haven't seen that they sell a "mil-spec minus the nomex" flightsuit, where have you seen this? Closest I've come across is is Flight Suits Ltd/Gibson & Barnes in El Cajon, CA, and they want over $100 for their non-nomex flightsuit.

Interestingly, the utility uniform Vanguard sells (and CAPMart before that) looks nothing like the one depicted in the 39-1.

On the subject of dyeing a nomex flightsuit, you might be able to go to a navy blue from a desert tan one.  I wouldn't try to go from sage green to navy blue.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on February 24, 2010, 06:55:14 AM
On the subject of dyeing a nomex flightsuit, you might be able to go to a navy blue from a desert tan one.  I wouldn't try to go from sage green to navy blue.

There's also the risk of leaving a "you-shaped" stain on the seat of the aircraft after a long summer high-bird flight.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on February 24, 2010, 02:42:50 AM
Quote from: DG on February 23, 2010, 02:59:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience flying in this "Blue Utility Coverall"?

I bought one.  It looks ridiculous and was a total waste of money.  Think of the cheapest Korean made imitation flight suit sold by one of the vendors at an air show and that's what you've got.  If you have any pride in your appearance and enjoy looking your best as an ambassador of CAP, you will refrain from wearing this monstrosity.

I'm guessing you got the Rothco version.  Does it have the three pockets on the upper thighs?  The Tru-Spec version doesn't have them, and it's a heavier poly-cotton twill fabric.

It's become my uniform of choice lately, and doesn't look bad at all.  Since our exclusive uniform provider has let me down again, I've found a couple of local sources for the Atlanco Tru-Spec version.  Just need to make the time for a couple of phone calls and a possible road trip.

Regarding the dye, I have an old non-serviceable flight suit that I would use as a guinea pig before trying it on the good one.  I probably won't end up going through with it in the end.  I was just hoping to get a little more use out of that $200 investment than what the Air Force and CAP gave me when they dropped the change back in 2002-3.

Slim