Main Menu

CAP Pilot Wings

Started by NYArcherFG, January 30, 2010, 07:23:42 PM

NYArcherFG

Hello everyone! I have a question about the regs on CAP pilot wings. I'm 16 and have already soloed, and hold a student pilot certificate. This training was done outside of CAP. Am I eligible for Solo Wings?  Thanks 8)

Hawk200

From CAPR 60-1, 3-2. Pilot Qualifications:

b. CAP Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP solo pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Possess a valid FAA student pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a valid, current medical certificate (not required for gliders or balloons).
(4) Have received the required instruction from an FAA authorized flight instructor (CFI/CFIG), have a written record documenting instruction, for the appropriate aircraft, in accordance with FAR 61.87, and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot.

It seems like you might qualify, but it says specifically "CAP solo pilot" and mentions "CAP aircraft", and an endorsement from a CAP instructor pilot. The best I could say is "maybe".

There may be other supplements or ICLs that clarify further. Will look into that.

Flying Pig

can cadets "solo" cap aircraft for training purposes???  I dont think they can.  I have always understood it as once you get your solo cert, your good on the wings.

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 30, 2010, 08:26:37 PM
can cadets "solo" cap aircraft for training purposes???  I dont think they can.
Neither do I.

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 30, 2010, 08:26:37 PMI have always understood it as once you get your solo cert, your good on the wings.
I've had the same impression.

Actually, I just looked at something, and what I quoted above was the old reg. Not sure how I missed that. Here's the contents for the new one: dated Feb 2009:

3-7. Classification of CAP Pilots. CAP pilots may operate a CAP aircraft according to the classification of their experience and skills as follows:
a. CAP Solo Pilot.
(1) Possess a current student pilot certificate with solo endorsements in accordance with 14 CFR Part 61 from a CAP Instructor Pilot in the make and model aircraft flown.
(2) For gliders, a minimum of 30 dual glider instruction flights prior to solo. Glider encampment/academy students are restricted from completing solo the first time they attend.
(3) For C182 airplanes, 25 (including cross wind, short, soft and simulated engine failure) dual takeoffs & landings with a CAP instructor in C182 airplane prior to solo.
(4) For G1000 equipped airplanes, complete the CAP Cessna G1000 transition syllabus for VFR operation.

It doesn't mention CAP aircraft, but does mention a CAP Instructor Pilot. So, I'm gona have to stand by my "maybe", and hope that someone comes along with more info.

RiverAux

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 30, 2010, 08:26:37 PM
can cadets "solo" cap aircraft for training purposes???  I dont think they can.  I have always understood it as once you get your solo cert, your good on the wings.
Do you mean can they conduct their first solo flight in a CAP aircraft?  Yes, though not common. 

Pingree1492

Yes, you can first-time solo in a CAP aircraft- I soloed an ASK-21 glider when I was 16.  Same applies to powered aircraft.

And, yes, you can wear CAP solo wings, even if you soloed outside of CAP.  Just provide the appropriate documentation and fill out the proper forms (I think you can do this in eServices now, but I'm not sure). 

Now, to wear CAP Pilot wings, you do have to have the appropriate FAA certificate plus take and pass a Form 5 to wear the wings.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Flying Pig

^Roger.  Thats how I understood. Pilot wings require a Form 5.  Solo Wings only require you to solo, whether in or outside of CAP. 

flyguy06

Yes, cadets can solo in CAP airplanes. They do it all the time at NFA's. I am a CAP Instructor pilot. If I am training a cadet in a CAP aircraft and I solo him, he has earned the CAP solo badge.

Dont just look at the reg. Understand the "spirit" of the reg. I believe it was intended for CAP flight training and not outside flight training. SO, if you have soloed already outside of CAP, find a CAP IP and solo in a CAP aircraft and you are golden.

Hawk200

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 30, 2010, 11:21:01 PMDont just look at the reg. Understand the "spirit" of the reg.
I've tried to comply with the spirit of the reg in the past, and have gotten seriously beat up over it, both in actuality and on this board. Pretty much all we have that's concrete is the letter of it.

Now, if there's other information out there that clarifies the "spirit", I'd like to see it.

Personally, I don't see a problem with awarding the solo badge, regardless of where they soloed. But there are jackasses out there that will give people all kinds of grief because what they have, or are doing is not within the specific letter of the reg.

Now, if the intent is to award the badge on any legitimate solo, anywhere, (which I personally get this impression); then the reg needs to change. On the day before yesterday.

FW

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 30, 2010, 11:21:01 PM
Yes, cadets can solo in CAP airplanes. They do it all the time at NFA's. I am a CAP Instructor pilot. If I am training a cadet in a CAP aircraft and I solo him, he has earned the CAP solo badge.

Don't just look at the reg. Understand the "spirit" of the reg. I believe it was intended for CAP flight training and not outside flight training. SO, if you have soloed already outside of CAP, find a CAP IP and solo in a CAP aircraft and you are golden.

I agree with this.  Just find a CAP IP and let him authorize you to solo in a CAP aircraft.  This shouldn't be a problem and, it will save you some cash as well.

DC

Does it have to be a CAP aircraft? The way the reg reads to me, you must only possess an endorsement from a CAP IP...

ßτε

The purpose of the CAP Solo Pilot rating is so student pilots (primarily cadets) can fly CAP aircraft solo under the supervision of a CAP Instructor Pilot in order to qualify for a Private Pilot certificate. If you are not flying a CAP aircraft, there is no need to be a CAP Solo Pilot.

It is similar to a Private Pilot who has not done a form 5. Unless they are checked out to fly a CAP aircraft, they are not a CAP Pilot.

We don't pin on CAP Pilot Wings just because the pilot has a pilot certificate. We shouldn't pin CAP Solo badge just because someone has soloed in a non-CAP aircraft.

NYArcherFG

Well I'll just find an IP in my area, the last SM I contacted didn't have the time. Anyway, the wings are not necessary, I know that I can fly a plane either way. Also the thing is I fly a Piper Archer (low wing), and transitioning to a Cessna is a downgrade.

Gunner C

yeah, if you're a low-wing kinda guy.  I like hanging from the wing and seeing the sights.  8)

bosshawk

Low wing---high wing, they are all airplanes and they fly very much alike.  I have probably 1000 hrs in high wings and over 2,000 hrs in low wing(I own a Bonanza) and I enjoy flying all of them.  Each have their strong points and weak points, so you might be well-served to get off this misguided trip about high vs low.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on February 01, 2010, 02:52:47 AM
Low wing---high wing, they are all airplanes and they fly very much alike.  I have probably 1000 hrs in high wings and over 2,000 hrs in low wing(I own a Bonanza) and I enjoy flying all of them.  Each have their strong points and weak points, so you might be well-served to get off this misguided trip about high vs low.

From a flight perspective, sure.  Last I checked the primary reason we have our airplanes is SAR and DR-related activities.  Low-wings aren't much use when your job is looking down.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

I couldn't agree more, but the young man who started this thread apparently has the idea that if you aren't flying a low wing, you are somehow inferior or that the aircraft is inferior.  I was trying to convince him that such was not a good position to take: especially given his relatively short tenure in the flying game.

I will now go back to my other pursuits.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flyguy06

Quote from: NYArcherFG on January 31, 2010, 11:32:20 PM
Well I'll just find an IP in my area, the last SM I contacted didn't have the time. Anyway, the wings are not necessary, I know that I can fly a plane either way. Also the thing is I fly a Piper Archer (low wing), and transitioning to a Cessna is a downgrade.

Well, i dont know where you got that from, but thats not true. Like said above a single engine airplaneis a single engine airplane. I will put a C-182 up against a piper warrior anyday.

Its all a matter of personal preference. I like 182's I also like the Piper Arrow.

Strick

Tell a C-130 pilot it is a down grade  >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

Gunner C