Oregon Wing Authorizes New Covert Flightsuit Uniform?

Started by RADIOMAN015, January 06, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

DG

Quote from: Camas on January 09, 2010, 12:48:41 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2010, 04:18:40 PM
I also agree that the member in the original photo should have been in a uniform of some kind.  In fact, if he had to move the airplane
outside for the photo, he may have bent a reg or two being in civvies.
His commander, who happens to be a friend of mine, is aware of the situation and is dealing with it. 'Nuf said.

How do you unring a bell?

Nick

Quote from: rmcmanus on January 08, 2010, 03:45:52 PM
McLarty:  Don't knock the "senior "types.  Many have done the great work that allows you to utilize the equipment (new Cessnas, vans, etc) to accomplish your mission today.  If you live long enough and remain in CAP, you'll be there yourself some day.  And please, don't come back with the excuse that you were talking about old or unkept flight suits.  Any disparaging reference to our older members is out of line.
Excuse me.  Don't take what I said and twist it out of context.  I was specifically talking about the public image that has been portrayed in the past with poorly framed and captured "action shots" of a group of members standing around in a gaggle.  If you haven't seen these pictures or know what I'm talking about, then you have no place criticizing me commenting on them.

And if you would like to talk about out of line -- I have nothing but respect for our senior, senior members.  I am simply addressing an issue that has concerned me for quite some time, and it has more to do with the quality control of our PA visual media and nothing to do with the members represented in the pictures.

I have been in this program for 12 years and am fully aware of my aging with and in the program.  I think for you to imply that I was "knocking the 'senior' types" is even more out of line.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

flyguy06

I actually keep a Fight suit and black shoes in my car in case I get called or need them. this would have been a great reason to justify it. He could have told the reporter "hold on. let me change b4 you start taking pictures"

Rotorhead

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 08, 2010, 07:31:45 AM
Quote from: McLarty on January 08, 2010, 05:54:10 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 06:11:39 PM
No because the Public Affairs types will insist on Blues for media interaction.
Not always the case.  There are quite a few who believe that it is oftentimes more important to show CAP members in "work" uniforms rather than the ones that just look pretty.
Public affairs types can insist on blues all they want ... do you really want a pilot getting an action shot IN a plane (not even just standing around it, but actually IN it) wearing blues?  No, the uniform should fit the job at hand.  PA can show up to meet the press with their blues if they want.  A side note -- anyone seen the Sporty's pilot ground school DVD?  They have quite a bit of B-roll showing CAP aircrew standing next to a CAP plane doing flight planning.  Guess what: They were in flight suits.

Actually Eagle, it's a pretty [darn] good picture -- nice and poster boy-style photogenic.  I think it's a good public image versus, I'm sorry guys, but some pictures I see floating out there of an extremely "senior" member in a flight suit that looks like it came through WWII.

I agree, that the photo should be commiserate to the job at hand.  Should have been flight suit or Golf Shirt. I only insist on "blues" if we are posing for photos of awards (as in if we are getting some plaque or something down at City Hall or in a formal setting).  BDUs for the field types et al.

Now, as for the image.  If it was put out by a CAP-PAO, same on them.  Our folks have to monitor such things and even, at times, display "PhotoShop Wizardry."  But if it was a film or camera crew from the paper hopping by the hangar where people might be at work or come directly from work, civilian clothes photoed by a journalistic photographer can be excused since they are not bound to honor or be obliged by our rules and regulations.

The odds that a newspaper photographer just happened to be passing by the airport and randomly stopped in for a photo are ridiculously small.

There's no excuse for this kind of thing. It makes us look less professional. And it is 100% avoidable.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DG

What is the "hot dog" level here?

No excuse, and this coming from a guy who notably is on the side of eliminating USAF style uniforms.

But a press / publicity opportunity such as this demands a uniform.

The CAP golf shirt would have been fine.

But not Crocodile Dundee. 

Sad.   :(

321EOD

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 07, 2010, 04:57:54 PM
So would this have been better?

Are you kidding!!!! - I'm sure the peeling sticker on the left of the a/c is a safety hazard!
BTW - yes - I think this would have provided a more professional image.
I agree, good write up, poor choice of 'uniform' (unless we all missed something in Pingree's post about National's recent changes?)
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

Strick

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 06:11:39 PM
No because the Public Affairs types will insist on Blues for media interaction.
Not always the case.  There are quite a few who believe that it is oftentimes more important to show CAP members in "work" uniforms rather than the ones that just look pretty.

Those type of people need to get over themselves, as for the picture of our LT. , good photo, I could see it being used in the volunteer Magazine :)
[darn]atio memoriae

321EOD

Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

rmcmanus

McLarty:  You can write what you wish but your statement: "...I'm sorry guys, but some pictures I see floating out there of an extremely "senior" member in a flight suit that looks like it came through WWII" is certainly no tribute.  You are absolutely correct to wish (as the majority of uf do) that our organization is properly depicted.  My post referred to the off-handed reference to our older members.  And please don't gloat over your 12+ years in CAP.  Although some of us older guys don't have hundreds of posts, that doesn't mean that we aren't long-time members, many of us with more than double your years.

dogden

Sounds like a contest of mine is bigger than yours! I agree with Nick, if we want to recruit the a younger group of senior members we need to get away from the pictures of 50+ seniors in all the PA materials. Not that the 50+ crowd doesn't contribute but decide who you want to market to.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

vmstan

I don't mean to sound "ageist" but I understand where some of the other members are coming from in reference to having the more senior-Senior Members as the face of CAP.

I'm 26. Not a pilot, not ex-military and not a former cadet. I happened to see something about CAP that peaked my interest one day, but when I got online one of the first videos I watched was someone in what seemed to be his late 70s - my first impression was that the organization was for very-retired military types. Thankfully I did some more research and found that there was much more. I mean no disrespect to those members, who I'm sure have served with far greater distinction then I could hope to.

Conversely, it seems like a lot of the CAP web presence is geared towards being a recruiting tool for cadets.

I'm not saying put me out there as the picture perfect image of CAP (my mom says I have a face made for radio) -- but it does have an identity problem of sorts.

That said, the knucklehead in the leisure suit impersonating a CAP officer is embarrassing, and I don't even have all my paperwork back from NHQ yet  >:(
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Gunner C

Quote from: Marshalus on January 26, 2010, 02:54:15 AM
I don't mean to sound "ageist" but I understand where some of the other members are coming from in reference to having the more senior-Senior Members as the face of CAP.
There's merit to this.  When the military advertises, it's usually someone between the ages of (approx) 18 and 32"ish".  CAP should do the same.  Our average age right now is close to 40 (not counting cadets).  It should be somewhere closer to 29 or 30.

SarDragon

The people in that prime age group are usually the ones least able to participate in CAP. Many are establishing careers, frequently with significant overtime, and starting families, with attendant time and finance constraints. The less carefree folks are pursuing greater life adventures than those provided by CAP.

In order to recruit/keep this demographic segment, there needs to be a better attraction than is currently offered.

That said, aren't we straying horribly from the original topic?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LTC Don

Quote from: Gunner C on January 26, 2010, 03:42:44 PM
Our average age right now is close to 40 (not counting cadets).  It should be somewhere closer to 29 or 30.

Anecdotally speaking, I think it's closer to 60  :o

Stand at the back of the room as the room fills for your next Wing Conference general assembly, and look at all the grey hair......

I think Grey Hair Patrol moniker fits nicely  ;D

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891