Oregon Wing Authorizes New Covert Flightsuit Uniform?

Started by RADIOMAN015, January 06, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Hey, I'm all for showing what we do. But the PAO can be in his blues, while the pilot has the flight suit on for the demonstration.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2010, 06:24:16 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 06:11:39 PM
I'd say technically maybe, yes and no.

Maybe because you are in a flight suit near an aircraft so it is legit and may have been there for a SAREx/mission at the time.
Yes because the uniform is appropriate to the subject.
No because the Public Affairs types will insist on Blues for media interaction.

I hate when PA dictates uniforms.  Yes the PAO types in most situations should be in blues or corportes....but when the press wants to see CAP in action they want to see BDUs and Flight suits.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Gunner C

flyerthom

[quote author=lordmonar link=topic=9622.msg174435#msg174435 date=1262888656

I hate when PA dictates uniforms.  Yes the PAO types in most situations should be in blues or corporates....but when the press wants to see CAP in action they want to see BDUs and Flight suits.
[/quote]

Like you guys would actually pay attention to me  >:D

I think we should submit it as a new uniform combination. That hat is sharp   8) >:D >:D

TC

lordmonar

Quote from: flyerthom on January 08, 2010, 05:01:16 AM

I think we should submit it as a new uniform combination. That hat is sharp   8) >:D >:D
Only if you pomise to get me on the cover of the next Silver Wings! :P
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nick

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
Not always the case.  There are quite a few who believe that it is oftentimes more important to show CAP members in "work" uniforms rather than the ones that just look pretty.
Public affairs types can insist on blues all they want ... do you really want a pilot getting an action shot IN a plane (not even just standing around it, but actually IN it) wearing blues?  No, the uniform should fit the job at hand.  PA can show up to meet the press with their blues if they want.  A side note -- anyone seen the Sporty's pilot ground school DVD?  They have quite a bit of B-roll showing CAP aircrew standing next to a CAP plane doing flight planning.  Guess what: They were in flight suits.

Actually Eagle, it's a pretty [darn] good picture -- nice and poster boy-style photogenic.  I think it's a good public image versus, I'm sorry guys, but some pictures I see floating out there of an extremely "senior" member in a flight suit that looks like it came through WWII.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

w7sar

Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

flyerthom

Quote from: lordmonar on January 08, 2010, 05:31:58 AM
Quote from: flyerthom on January 08, 2010, 05:01:16 AM

Only if you pomise to get me on the cover of the next Silver Wings! :P

Your the centerfold  >:D

I wanna photoshop a wing patch on the dude in this thread for the cover!

Wanna help edit?
TC

Major Carrales

Quote from: McLarty on January 08, 2010, 05:54:10 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 06:13:00 PM
Not always the case.  There are quite a few who believe that it is oftentimes more important to show CAP members in "work" uniforms rather than the ones that just look pretty.
Public affairs types can insist on blues all they want ... do you really want a pilot getting an action shot IN a plane (not even just standing around it, but actually IN it) wearing blues?  No, the uniform should fit the job at hand.  PA can show up to meet the press with their blues if they want.  A side note -- anyone seen the Sporty's pilot ground school DVD?  They have quite a bit of B-roll showing CAP aircrew standing next to a CAP plane doing flight planning.  Guess what: They were in flight suits.

Actually Eagle, it's a pretty [darn] good picture -- nice and poster boy-style photogenic.  I think it's a good public image versus, I'm sorry guys, but some pictures I see floating out there of an extremely "senior" member in a flight suit that looks like it came through WWII.

I agree, that the photo should be commiserate to the job at hand.  Should have been flight suit or Golf Shirt. I only insist on "blues" if we are posing for photos of awards (as in if we are getting some plaque or something down at City Hall or in a formal setting).  BDUs for the field types et al.

Now, as for the image.  If it was put out by a CAP-PAO, same on them.  Our folks have to monitor such things and even, at times, display "PhotoShop Wizardry."  But if it was a film or camera crew from the paper hopping by the hangar where people might be at work or come directly from work, civilian clothes photoed by a journalistic photographer can be excused since they are not bound to honor or be obliged by our rules and regulations.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Nick

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 08, 2010, 07:31:45 AM
I only insist on "blues" if we are posing for photos of awards (as in if we are getting some plaque or something down at City Hall or in a formal setting).  BDUs for the field types et al.
Absolutely.  I almost insist that members be in blues to receive awards (something stolen from my RM™ level of standards).
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

rmcmanus

McLarty:  Don't knock the "senior "types.  Many have done the great work that allows you to utilize the equipment (new Cessnas, vans, etc) to accomplish your mission today.  If you live long enough and remain in CAP, you'll be there yourself some day.  And please, don't come back with the excuse that you were talking about old or unkept flight suits.  Any disparaging reference to our older members is out of line.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: rmcmanus on January 08, 2010, 03:45:52 PM
McLarty:  Don't knock the "senior "types.  Many have done the great work that allows you to utilize the equipment (new Cessnas, vans, etc) to accomplish your mission today.  If you live long enough and remain in CAP, you'll be there yourself some day.  And please, don't come back with the excuse that you were talking about old or unkept flight suits.  Any disparaging reference to our older members is out of line.

Actually I think the point was not to knock anyone but point out that a 50-something shows a younger face of the organization than a founding member.

How many 20-30 somethings will want to join an organization that seems to be run by their grandparents?

rmcmanus

USAFaux2004:  Regardless of the intent, no segment of our membership should be disparaged!

Майор Хаткевич

dis·par·age  (d-sprj)
tr.v. dis·par·aged, dis·par·ag·ing, dis·par·ag·es
1. To speak of in a slighting or disrespectful way; belittle. See Synonyms at decry.
2. To reduce in esteem or rank.

I've seen what he said in RL, and he qualified his statement. Disparage he did not.

rmcmanus

Your grammar lesson precisely makes my point.  Does anyone else understand what I meant?

Eclipse

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 07, 2010, 04:57:54 PM
So would this have been better?

Yes, 100% with a couple of comments.

Once-over the aircraft before the photo to insure things like decals aren't falling off.

Connect an APU so you can light the displays.

I also agree that the member in the original photo should have been in a uniform of some kind.  In fact, if he had to move the airplane
outside for the photo, he may have bent a reg or two being in civvies.

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

APU was installed and the displays are lit. The anti-glare of the G1000 is preventing the camera from getting the screens. (Or perhaps the aperture of the camera  ???)

As for the decals, problem has been addressed.  ;D

I by no means was touting this personal photo as a perfect example, rather asking if it was MUCH closer to the expectations of the membership here.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 08, 2010, 05:24:29 PM
APU was installed and the displays are lit. The anti-glare of the G1000 is preventing the camera from getting the screens.

Green screen the panels and then send the photo to ILM before allowing the media to use it!

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

If I had that budget! I should green screen the outside too!  >:D

Good thoughts though for future consideration
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Camas

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2010, 04:18:40 PM
I also agree that the member in the original photo should have been in a uniform of some kind.  In fact, if he had to move the airplane
outside for the photo, he may have bent a reg or two being in civvies.
His commander, who happens to be a friend of mine, is aware of the situation and is dealing with it. 'Nuf said.