Oregon Wing Authorizes New Covert Flightsuit Uniform?

Started by RADIOMAN015, January 06, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

RADIOMAN015

Check this out:
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100106/NEWS/1060316/-1/NEWS07

You would have thought since they knew local paper was going to take a picture, at least have someone in proper CAP uniform in the picture.  Or is this the way they are actually flying CAP aircraft around ??? Terrible picture but excellent narrative.
RM

lordmonar

While we lost a little PR value.....let's cut the guy some slack.  He may have just been called from work/play to show off the new plane to the reporter.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nick

Cretian camouflage.  If you want to blend in with a bunch of drunken Greeks, there's nothing better.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DG

Inexcusable.

Take the airplane from them, and give it to a unit who will be interested in advancing CAP.

Unless you are telling me we have so many airplanes that it doesn't matter.

National needs to know about this one.

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on January 06, 2010, 11:55:57 PM
While we lost a little PR value.....let's cut the guy some slack.  He may have just been called from work/play to show off the new plane to the reporter.

+1
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Seabee219

Even if that young man in the photo did come from work, I am sure that you can call the media and set up a time when you can meet them.  IMO, our media does not rush out to a site for a new CAP plane, they call and set up a time, or we call.  I am sure that a CAP member in uniform could have been out there.  Our squadron would love that plane, send it our way.
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Seabee219 on January 07, 2010, 02:46:18 PM
  Even if that young man in the photo did come from work, I am sure that you can call the media and set up a time when you can meet them.  IMO, our media does not rush out to a site for a new CAP plane, they call and set up a time, or we call.  I am sure that a CAP member in uniform could have been out there.  Our squadron would love that plane, send it our way.

QuoteFellow CAP Capt. Robert Stoltz, 50, of Medford, a retired computer consultant and accountant who has been a pilot for nearly 32 years, is excited about the new aircraft.

*Snickers*

alamrcn

QuoteInexcusable. National needs to know about this one.
QuoteWhere was a public affairs officer to stem this?

Let's hoist up the gallows!  :o
Next time, he should just hand the newspaper a press kit, a CD-ROM with generic photos, and a recruiting brosure. I'll bet we lost 1000 potential members because of this article that made Civil Air Patrol look so bad. I know I'm quitting this rinky-dink organization right now because of this defamatory Flightsuit-gate incident. Ridiculous.

[/duh]

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Gunner C

Yep, that's our brand.   Kinda makes you proud.  I think I'll print that out and go show the neighbors what I'm a part of.  Yep that "Air Patrol" looks pretty sharp. ::)

Sheesh.  What a joke.

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Flying Pig

A more important question, do people really wear hats like that in Oregon?

DG

Cut them a break.   He is on his way to the dress rehearsal for Guys & Dolls, even though the sideburns are too short for the CAP-distinctive "Tres Caballeros" uniform he is wearing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 07, 2010, 04:57:54 PM
So would this have been better?

NO! I detect a lack of a second bar there. :)

You must be appointed Captain Pilot Commander to be mentioned in our news articles.

LMAO

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SilverEagle2

I was afraid that this would be mentioned....I was "told" that as a unit patch it fell within regs.

I have since replaced it.  >:D :angel:

After all, I am on wing staff and that UNIT patch is authorized... ;)

Back on topic, I was hoping to see if the general CAPTalk populous would feel this was a more appropriate representation of the same platform and PR opportunity.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP

Gerald G. Probst,

Майор Хаткевич

I'd say technically maybe, yes and no.

Maybe because you are in a flight suit near an aircraft so it is legit and may have been there for a SAREx/mission at the time.
Yes because the uniform is appropriate to the subject.
No because the Public Affairs types will insist on Blues for media interaction. 

RiverAux

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 06:11:39 PM
Not always the case.  There are quite a few who believe that it is oftentimes more important to show CAP members in "work" uniforms rather than the ones that just look pretty. 

lordmonar

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 06:11:39 PM
I'd say technically maybe, yes and no.

Maybe because you are in a flight suit near an aircraft so it is legit and may have been there for a SAREx/mission at the time.
Yes because the uniform is appropriate to the subject.

I hate when PA dictates uniforms.  Yes the PAO types in most situations should be in blues or corporates....but when the press wants to see CAP in action they want to see BDUs and Flight suits.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP