Museum wants unit patches.

Started by davidsinn, November 04, 2009, 10:11:56 PM

davidsinn

I'm placing this here because this board gets more traffic than the market place.

I received this email from our glider director here in INWG:

Dear Sir,

I would be very grateful if your CAP Squadron could donate one of your unit shoulder patches, pilots wings etc. to our CAP PATCH DISPLAY at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. The Street. Flixton Nr. Bungay, Suffolk, NR35 1NZ England. UK
www.aviationmuseum.net

In the museum we have a Fairchild F.24.C8-F NC16676. This is believed to be the only original WW2 CAP aircraft in Europe .It was in service between July 1942 to April 1943 and assigned to CAP Base 17 at Riverhead, Long Island, New York.

The museum also has a hanger display and memorial dedicated to the memory of the men of the 446th Bomb Group USAAF who gave there lives whilst operating from Bungay Airfield during WW2.

Do you also have any WW2 USAAF shoulder patches or aircrew wings, medals or medal ribbons that you would like to donate to the memorial display?

I am now in my 70's with some 1600 hours power flying, I was 12 years regular RAF and a further 14 years with the Air Training Corps. The ATC is similar to your CAP. I was 6 years the C.O. of an ATC squadron, and a gliding instructor with the ATC. It is with this background that I appreciate the importance to the youth of today to organisations such as CAP.

Now as an unpaid volunteer with the museum I am attempting to make a display that incorporates as many CAP Squadron patches as possible to go alongside our USAAF display. My ambition is to eventually have patches from ALL of the CAP Squadrons, which should give the museum the largest ( possibly the only) display of CAP patches in Europe.

So far the response from CAP Squadrons has been very encouraging.

IF YOU CAN HELP, IT WOULD BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED, AS WE WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT OUR DISPLAY OF PILOTS WINGS, ETC WILL ENCOURAGE SOME OF OUR YOUNGER VISITORS TO PURSUE A CAREER IN AVIATION.

If you find that you can donate badges etc, could you address them to:

Mr T Thomson

Can you please also let me know if you can donate a badge at the following e-mail: telford.thomson (at) mypostoffice.co.uk

T. Thomson
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn