Main Menu

grey epilates

Started by DrJbdm, August 24, 2009, 08:28:31 PM

DrJbdm

I have noticed how completely different our grey epilates are from regular Air Force blue epilates, and I'm talking about more than just color!  ;)

They are wider, less tapered and shorter then Air Force epilates not to mention not nearly as stiff and well formed. Was it just simply too hard for Vanguard to simply make a direct copy of Air Force epilates except for the grey color and the embroidery to read CAP on them? I know they now make male and female versions of the grey epilates, but while they may have done some work on the female version, they have not changed the male version at all.

Does anyone know of a super secret source for getting higher quality grey epilates that look and feel professional and are comparable to the regular Air Force ones? Please PM me as I am sure we don't want to post the good information on here.

Eclipse

I tried epilates for a while, but I hurt my back...

"That Others May Zoom"

DrJbdm

How did you get a picture of my girlfriend?   ;D

JC004

they are shorter to fit on the female shirts

Eclipse

For clarity...

The piece of cloth sewn to the shirt or jacket on the shoulder is the epaulet.

The grade insignia is a part of an epaulet sleeve.

To the original question, this is not a "Vanguard issue" per-se.  The epaulet sleeves from the Bookstore were the same "not the same" quality, however there has been a noticeable drop in quality in the last year or two.  The ones VG is selling are not as thick, nor is the embroidery stitching as dense as on the older revisions, though frankly its not something the average member would probably even notice.

I'm not personally aware of any other sources - this is one of those things that I believe the "Big H" was just reselling.  I suppose you could always do your own run - but that would not be cheap, and there's no guarantee they'd be any better. (Man I wish I'd picked up that embroidery system when I had the chance!)

This is another reason we should standardize on the CSU - easy to get insignia.

I was able to get a fair number of sleeves from 3rd parties from the original Bookstore runs, and I'm seeking out the same thing well in advance of my next bump so I will have them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2009, 08:39:13 PM
I tried epilates for a while, but I hurt my back...

Picture of girlfriend? THE SIMS 3. ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

VPI18

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 24, 2009, 08:28:31 PMDoes anyone know of a super secret source for getting higher quality grey epilates that look and feel professional and are comparable to the regular Air Force ones? Please PM me as I am sure we don’t want to post the good information on here.
It is not recommended to pull out hair by the root in order to comply with AF grooming standards.
QuoteEpilate-to remove a hair from a part of the body by forcible extraction, electrolysis, or loosening at the root by chemical means.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 24, 2009, 08:28:31 PM
    I have noticed how completely different our grey epilates are from regular Air Force blue epilates, and I'm talking about more than just color!  ;)

They are wider, less tapered and shorter then Air Force epilates not to mention not nearly as stiff and well formed. Was it just simply too hard for Vanguard to simply make a direct copy of Air Force epilates except for the grey color and the embroidery to read CAP on them? I know they now make male and female versions of the grey epilates, but while they may have done some work on the female version, they have not changed the male version at all.

Does anyone know of a super secret source for getting higher quality grey epilates that look and feel professional and are comparable to the regular Air Force ones? Please PM me as I am sure we don't want to post the good information on here.

I use epaulet stiffiners.  It creates a smooth finish to them.  If you can't find any stiffners, use a wire hanger, cut and bent to shape.

DrJbdm

Yes, I typically use epaulet stiffiners and they help to a small degree. I just wish who ever designed these things would have just used mil-spec process.

I suspect these are a high profit item for Vanguard, much cheaper to manufacture then regular Air Force mil-spec epaulets and sold for just as a high price point.

JohnKachenmeister

Memo from the President of Vanguard:

Yes, I know there are complaints of poor quality in CAP insignia.  Management is aware of the problem.  Management is also aware that the CAP nitwits can't go anywhere else, so while they will whine incessantly, their command has assured us of an exclusive contract.

Tell them to shut up and suck it up... in a nice way, of course.

Signed,

Joe Vanguard.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 25, 2009, 08:05:28 PM
Memo from the President of Vanguard:

Yes, I know there are complaints of poor quality in CAP insignia.  Management is aware of the problem.  Management is also aware that the CAP nitwits can't go anywhere else, so while they will whine incessantly, their command has assured us of an exclusive contract.

Tell them to shut up and suck it up... in a nice way, of course.

Signed,

Joe Vanguard.

That memo was supposed to be an internal communication. The van will be at your house shortly. Make sure to put your affairs in order.

>:D

AlphaSigOU

Plenty of room in that secret underground bunker over here called 'Kwaj-tanamo'! Oh no... here comes Kwaj Five-0 to take me away!!!  ;D

(In reality, the few bunkers on island are abandoned Japanese bunkers and pillboxes.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Spike

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 25, 2009, 09:58:45 AM
   Yes, I typically use epaulet stiffiners and they help to a small degree. I just wish who ever designed these things would have just used mil-spec process.

I suspect these are a high profit item for Vanguard, much cheaper to manufacture then regular Air Force mil-spec epaulets and sold for just as a high price point.

Sad.....but they used "CAP specs" when designing them.  Vanguard already uses very strict Government specifications on all of their other products.  It was NHQ that was so lax.  So if you want to blame anyone blame NHQ!!!

DrJbdm

I may investigate the possibility of my local law enforcement uniform shop / alteration shop giving me a bid for some Air Force quality grey epaulet slides. I may just have them make them without the CAP on them so that they don't violate CAPs exclusive agreement with Vanguard. I know of a number of other places that can then add CAP to the slide for very little cost.

CAP does not control a grey colored epaulet with military rank on it. They do however control a grey colored epaulet with military rank that reads CAP on it.

I suspect it may be a bit expensive, but with enough orders it may be doable. I'll post details if I ever take this on.

Strick

That would be great, have them add the CAP, IT STANDS FOR: Community Action Program.   
[darn]atio memoriae

afgeo4

Okay... The Air Force has male and female version of epaulet sleeves. The male version is longer and the female is thus shorter, to fit the female blouse epaulets, which are also shorter.

The CAP epaulet sleeves were made in the female version for everyone as they would fit all epaulets, male and female.

That's why they're different. There is also more than one supplier for USAF epaulet sleeves. Both are sold in MCSS stores. They are of different quality and price.
GEORGE LURYE

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 26, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
Okay... The Air Force has male and female version of epaulet sleeves. The male version is longer and the female is thus shorter, to fit the female blouse epaulets, which are also shorter.

The CAP epaulet sleeves were made in the female version for everyone as they would fit all epaulets, male and female.

That's why they're different. There is also more than one supplier for USAF epaulet sleeves. Both are sold in MCSS stores. They are of different quality and price.

I believe if you check with Vanguard you will find that the CAP Senior Member Grade Insignia Epaulets are now available in both sizes now, just like the Air Force ones.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2009, 06:43:00 PM
They are.

Male:

Female:

Is it me or does the female epaulet sleeve look unnecessarily wide? 

Compare to the same AF ones.  Note the relationship of the embroidery size to the edges.

Male:

Female:

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP