Questions on new CAPR 174-1 Property Management

Started by badger bob, August 19, 2009, 12:12:18 PM

arajca

An issue you'll see coming from the Comm side is the new position descriptions for the Comm staff. Comm staff does a WHOLE LOT MORE than track equipment, which is what the new reg says. It removes all mention of developing plans, arranging/conducting training, and the various other operational duties the comm people perform as part of their job.

badger bob

174-1 is a property management regulation. 174-1 replaces all or parts of 100-2- the comm property regulation.  Comm officers have a series of regulations that deal with comm issues that are not affected by the property regulation. Comm officers have a seperate wing and region officers that work with the comm area. NHQ has a seperate staff that deals with the comm area.

The property management regulation will have a common set of rules and share a common database, but logistics is and will be a seperate operation from Comm.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

swamprat86

What is the current status with the release of ORMS?  I haven't seen anything yet and it was brought up last night at our wing staff meeting.  I heard that there are already changes dealing with control of comm assests.

badger bob

The target date was  October 1, but the NHQ Logistics staff was working during the month of September with the Air Force on shifting un-expended funds to identified needs CAP has. They were able to purchase  60 additional new vehicles, additional communications equipment, and some additional equipment in the ops area.

We had looked at a mid-month change to ORMS, but it was decided to change at the end of the month. Target date for the ORMS availability is now Nov. 2 with the 174-1 regulation being published at the same time.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Release of CAP regulation 174-1, CAP Property Management, and launch of the new online property management system are scheduled for Monday, 2 November, 2009. This all-new regulation will supersede CAP Regulations 67-1, Supply; 67-4, Acquiring, Reporting & Disposing of Corporate Aircraft; portions of 77-1, Operation & Maintenance of CAP Vehicles; 87-1, Real Property; 100-2, Comm Equipment Management;: and CAPR 900-6, Hull Self Insurance. The new online system is called the Operational Resource Management System (ORMS) and will replace both the CAP Asset Tracking System (CATS) and the Communications Equipment Management System (CEMS). Our thanks and appreciation go out to all who commented on the draft regulation or assisted with ORMS preliminary testing.

In order to ensure enough time to shift data into ORMS, we will shut down CATS and CEMS on 28 October. At that time no other operations in those systems will be possible. To prepare for the transition, communications and logistics officers should ensure all property has been accepted and all transfers have been completed. We also recommend that units print out a copy of their S-1, S-2, S-3 and S-8 inventories in the days immediately preceding October 28th. This will provide units a reference copy to compare with the data in ORMS.
We are in the process of creating an ORMS User's Guide that we will publish on 18 October. The guide will give detailed instructions for conducting ORMS transactions such as transferring property from one unit to another, issuing property to individuals, conducting annual inventory and submitting reports of survey.

Permissions to various functions within ORMS are automatically granted by duty position. Over the next couple of weeks commanders should check unit rosters to make sure all communications, logistics, supply, and transportation officers have been properly appointed in eServices. Web security administrators will not be able to grant ORMS permissions.
The new online system will remove the requirement for units to continue to use most of their property management paper records. Units should take the next few weeks to update CATS and CEMS to match information for property currently issued to individuals on the CAP Form 37E.

If you have any questions please submit them to ORMS@capnhq.gov.  A copy of this message will be sent to all commanders, logistics, communications, supply and transportation officers.  This message will also appear on eServices News.

Johnny Dean
Director, Plans and Requirements
National Headquarters
Civil Air Patrol
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

swamprat86

Will the Wing Property Manager position be available to assign before the Nov 2nd date?

badger bob

The new regulation and ORMS use the existing 20-1 duty designations. Permissions will automatically be enabled in ORMS providing the duty is registered in E-Services Personnel prior to November 1. In the future, permissions will be enabled as soon as the duty is confrmed in E-Services.

An existing commander will have will automaticaly recieve permissions in both the communications and logistics areas.

An existing  (LG) will automaticaly recieve permissions for supply, aircraft, vehicle and real property modules in ORMS.

An existing (LGT) will automaicaly recieve permissions for the vehicle and aircraft modules in ORMS.

An existing  (LGs) will automaticaly recieve permissions for supply modules in ORMS.

An existing coomunications officer will automatically recieve permissions for the communications module.

Any permissions that were granted thru a WSA without a duty assignment will no longer have access to ORMS other than read only.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Eclipse

So...supposedly the system is online in a test mode, but for the life of me I can't find a link anywhere.

Pointer?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: eServicesAfter some valuable input from the field we have decided to make ORMS available in test mode on 2 November

Since today is only the 1st, you might be a day early trying.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It still ain't Monday where you are. It's barely Monday in Europe. I have an excellent understanding of how time zones work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

badger bob

Should be visible tommorrow in E-services tommorrow when you log on.

It should be visible to all members on the left side menu.

If you have command or property managemeent duties, it will be also visible in the restricted menu. 
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Eclipse

Quote from: badger bob on November 02, 2009, 01:55:50 AM
Should be visible tommorrow in E-services tommorrow when you log on.

It should be visible to all members on the left side menu.

If you have command or property managemeent duties, it will be also visible in the restricted menu.

Thanks. I have a property issue I'm checking on and thought I would click through.

Eastern Standard Tribe is not a timezone, its a global community of shared circadian rhythms, and while a good read, http://craphound.com/est/download.php, perhaps too obscure a reference even for me.

"That Others May Zoom"

badger bob

Please let me know what you think of the new database and if you can find what you are looking for.

The advantage of the "soft" start is we can still make changes based on feedback before the system goes to the "official" start.

Still working on the tutorial that will be embeded into the ORMS menu.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Eclipse

Quote from: badger bob on November 02, 2009, 02:23:45 AM
Please let me know what you think of the new database and if you can find what you are looking for.

The links are working and it looks like it works fine, but who chose LIME GREEN for the menus?

MY EYES!  THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Eh, not horrible. Could be worse - BofA blue on red.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

If I might be so bold as to suggest a stocking stuffer for the folks at NHQ this holiday season...

http://designinginterfaces.com/

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Actually, I think the obnoxious color makes sense. There is no way you could confuse this test system with live application in Eservices. (Unless you're color blind)

The only problem I am having is the Comm gear reports don't work. I keep getting an "Unexpected Error" message.

SarDragon

It may be from too many people trying to access it at the same time. It all worked one time for me, and then I got inconsistent errors, then it all worked again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2009, 06:01:34 AM
Actually, I think the obnoxious color makes sense. There is no way you could confuse this test system with live application in Eservices. (Unless you're color blind)
Is that why they are green?

Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2009, 06:01:34 AM
The only problem I am having is the Comm gear reports don't work. I keep getting an "Unexpected Error" message.

Comm gear worked for me, I got the same error on the old S-3.

"That Others May Zoom"