Main Menu

Specialty tracks

Started by seniormember1976, August 01, 2009, 03:16:32 AM

seniormember1976

I have a few questions in this area.  What if my commander does not approve a specialty track that I would like to do?  Also, can you work on more than one specialty track?  I am interested in Health Services, but would also like to do personell.  Our units current personell officer does not file and update records in a timely manner.  We have a senior member and cadet who have completed their 101 certification a month and a half ago and it is still not updated in WMU.  Our personell officers response is that they need to be patient as she "has a life outside of CAP".  So my thinking is that I can ease up the workload a bit, and everyone can be happy.  Senior members and cadets will see their achievements in a timely manner.  Is that something that is common in the squadrons (having several specialty tracks)?  Thanks in advance for any responses!   :)

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Part of following a track is serving as a staff officer. Those are decided by the unit commander. So he/she has to be on board. Unless you are a nurse or doctor, your unit would most likely be better served by the personnel track. Ideally you would serve as the Assistant Personnel Officer, learning the ropes from the current one. While it is possible to pursue multiple tracks I'd start simple.

RiverAux

Really there aren't much in the way of actual duties associated with being in Health Services in CAP, so I would definetely encourage you to consider an additional track. 

Frankly though, your squadron commander is very unlikely to fire a personnel officer (who has probably been around for a while) or force them to take on a assistant that they apparently don't want in favor of someone who just joined and may not last 3 months. 

Camas

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 01, 2009, 03:16:32 AM
We have a senior member and cadet who have completed their 101 certification a month and a half ago and it is still not updated in WMU.  Our personnel officers response is that they need to be patient as she "has a life outside of CAP".
Personnel is a great specialty track to pursue. A good personnel officer is a valuable asset to any unit.

As a side note I don't really think the personnel officer is responsible for entering 101 info into the WMU; you might want to check with your ES officer on that question. Members should be entering their own information into operations qualifications but that's not the point of this discussion.

arajca

Alot will depend on how you approach the issue with your commander. If your personnel officer is firmly entrenched and refuses to accept help, look at Admin. It is related, and, unless the personnel officer keeps the files at home, you would be in a position to work on them.

seniormember1976

As of Dec. 2010 I will graduate with my RN degree.  In the meantime, I am looking at something that will help our unit run smoother.  I would not expect the commander to fire the current Personnel Officer.  I would actually be happy with being an assistant at this time because I am new.  I also think the current Personnel Officer would be happy with the offer of assistance.  She has made several comments that she just does not have time to do it all and that CAP is not her life.  I have not put in my request yet for a specialty track, I have just completed lvl 1 training and am now looking at the next step to see what my options are.  I guess for me at this point I would like to see the cadets recieve their promotions updated in a timely manner, not have to wait a month or two to actually see that everything is finally checked off.  That their ranks are updated in the system as well.  I know how frustrating it is for me to complete/accomplish something and not have the recognition in a timely manner.  I can only imagine the impaience of a teenager wanting their recognition  ;).

seniormember1976

Our personnel officer has told us that we are not to enter that into the WMU, it is her job.  So it is a bit confusing, hence the issue of wanting to ease the burden to make things more enjoyable for everyone.

arajca

This may sound mean, but you don't need to enter anything into WMU. You can enter your qualifications/training/etc in Eservices. WMU will pull them down from there. Eservices is set up to allow members to enter their own task completions and to allow the commander to approve electronically. This is a preferred method, since WMU does not feed into Eservices. Using Eservices allows National and any Incident Commander to see what your qualifications are. Eservices is the official record, regardless of what WMU shows.

Short Field

Check out the ES Training Officer duties.  It would put you in the ES track.  That is what I am now and I update all the ES records for the members. 

I was the Asst. Personnel Officer and did the same thing.  However, we finally got good staff in other positions and farmed out their jobs to them.  FYI - I have a Senior Rating in ES and a Master Rating in Personnel.  Personnel is really good about teaching you how CAP works - on paper. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Lt Oliv

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 01, 2009, 03:57:35 AM
As of Dec. 2010 I will graduate with my RN degree.  In the meantime, I am looking at something that will help our unit run smoother.  I would not expect the commander to fire the current Personnel Officer.  I would actually be happy with being an assistant at this time because I am new.  I also think the current Personnel Officer would be happy with the offer of assistance.  She has made several comments that she just does not have time to do it all and that CAP is not her life.  I have not put in my request yet for a specialty track, I have just completed lvl 1 training and am now looking at the next step to see what my options are.  I guess for me at this point I would like to see the cadets recieve their promotions updated in a timely manner, not have to wait a month or two to actually see that everything is finally checked off.  That their ranks are updated in the system as well.  I know how frustrating it is for me to complete/accomplish something and not have the recognition in a timely manner.  I can only imagine the impaience of a teenager wanting their recognition  ;).

Personnel is a pretty good track.  I became the Group Personnel Officer because when I arrived, we didn't have one and I was willing to do it.  Prior to my arrival, squadron commanders either dumped everything on the group commander or tried to bypass him and went straight to wing.

An ineffective Personnel Officer makes life difficult.  But with almost everything electronic now, it isn't as disastrous as it used to be.  First, I would caution you as a new member to not criticize someone who has been there that long too heavily.  The Personnel Officer may well be inputting data and sending it through the chain of command, and maybe it is getting stuck somewhere else.  In which case, it really isn't their fault, they are doing their part, someone else is holding things up.

The odds on your commander firing a willing volunteer for another willing volunteer are slim.  However, if you can be appointed an assistant (if the commander and personnel officer feel such a position would be justified), you can help ease the burden.

In squadrons where we already have a personnel officer and someone else wants the job, we have historically guided the second person into being the Admin officer so that the two can work together and there are no hurt feelings.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 01, 2009, 03:16:32 AM
What if my commander does not approve a specialty track that I would like to do?

Our personel officers response is that they need to be patient as she "has a life outside of CAP".

So what is your commander suggesting as your "career" track?

CAP does seem to be marching more to an on line "paperless" personnel & administrative system, rather
than member's (and units) spending lots of money/time copying & printing out documents & filing in a file cabinet (that depending upon the units' facilities might have to be removed after each meeting).  Hopefully the cadet achievements will also go into the National data base soon!

As others have stated to you, your upcoming BSN would be an
asset to your squadron's Emergency Services program, perhaps again as a ES Training Officer.

I think EVERY unit has volunteers in positions that really just barely do the job (and it can be long term members)  These are still good people, but personal circumstances -- family, medical issues, etc can affect their availability/capability to contribute as they once did :-[  It's a tough call for commanders because they do have to fill all those positions on the CAP organizational chart & surely it looks better with different names in each position, rather than some "super" volunteer doing all of the tasks and the risk that volunteer will "burn out" or also incur some personal circumstances that will limit participation, than a mutiple of staff positions will have problems all at once :'(

I also think that it is important to utilize a volunteer in something he/she has an interest in.  Some members really have no interest in doing the same type of volunteer work that they do all day long at their paid job.

Of course you may be in a unit that just doesn't like constructive criticism even with your willingness to help out :-[  Come to think of it,  this "sensitivity to constructive criticism" is the CAP organization as a whole :-\  (perhaps that's a new topic of discussion >:D)
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on August 01, 2009, 04:16:21 AM
This may sound mean, but you don't need to enter anything into WMU. You can enter your qualifications/training/etc in Eservices. WMU will pull them down from there. Eservices is set up to allow members to enter their own task completions and to allow the commander to approve electronically. This is a preferred method, since WMU does not feed into Eservices. Using Eservices allows National and any Incident Commander to see what your qualifications are. Eservices is the official record, regardless of what WMU shows.

No, its not.

There are several states which direct members to enter tasking into the WMU.

Follow the durections given to you by your state.

"That Others May Zoom"

seniormember1976

Well the commander has no real recommendations for a track.  He does not like our current ES officer and suggested that we take over his position (my fiancee is also a senior member).  But talking with the cadets and other seniors, the current Es officer does an excellent job.  I also try not to criticize the commanding officer, but when I am told I do not have to know any of the rules and regs and that I should not even be reading them.  Or the other times when I hear that his weekends are for his trains and we will not do a community service project it makes it kind of hard not to criticize.  I do realize that life does not neccesarily revolve around CAP, but with no training opportunities available or motivation on the commanding officer's part it makes it hard.
Oh, and I didn't think you sounded mean arajca  ;D  If I wasn't up for constructive critiscism I wouldn't post.  I am already figuring there may be things I do not want to hear, but I should really listen to anyway.

Short Field

EVERYONE should be reading the regs.  To not do so reminds me of the Islamic terrorists who can't read the Koran but rely on the Iman to tell them what it says.....

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 02, 2009, 04:06:46 AM
Well the commander has no real recommendations for a track.  He does not like our current ES officer and suggested that we take over his position (my fiancee is also a senior member).

Or the other times when I hear that his weekends are for his trains and we will not do a community service project it makes it kind of hard not to criticize.  I do realize that life does not neccesarily revolve around CAP, but with no training opportunities available or motivation on the commanding officer's part it makes it hard.

Looks to me like the ES officer is the "career" track for you & your fiancee  (oh boy another potential family member involved in the same CAP unit :angel:).  Work with the current ES officer to enhance that program.   Perhaps you need to "slow down" a bit on your approach to being the "super" volunteer.   Remember that a squadron generally takes on the organizational personality that the current commander wants it to have. 

BTW IF your commander has other interests that take up his/her weekend than that is his/her choice, there's nothing in a CAP regulation that says anyone has to do anything on a weekend!

Also as a 25+ year high ranking member in CAP told me, don't get discouraged, because in CAP it take time to get things done, and it may take a lot longer than you think :-[

As far as community service projects, IF there's plenty of other volunteer groups in your community that do this, than maybe that's where you should consider volunteering for this type of service.   Not sure what your commander's view is on community service projects, BUT my viewpoint is that it should stay within somewhat of our mission parameters e.g. "helping out at an air show", maybe cleaning up around the local airport, versus "keeping a 5 mile stretch of roadway clear of litter" (that's what we have jail inmates for >:D) ) or mowing mrs. x's lawn >:(   

I think in the end as a new member you are just going to have to decide if your current unit is where you want to volunteer at or would it be better to find another unit given the personalities currently involved.  IF there's no other unit close to you, you may have to lay low for awhile till things change or reevaluate where you want to spend your volunteer discretionary time available.
RM

Rotorhead

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 02, 2009, 04:06:46 AM
I am told I do not have to know any of the rules and regs and that I should not even be reading them.  Or the other times when I hear that his weekends are for his trains and we will not do a community service project it makes it kind of hard not to criticize.

You need to join a better squadron, if your posts are honest.

The complaints you have would not necessarily extend to other units.

This is why people recommend visiting for several meetings before joining--you find out what the unit is really like.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Airrace

Find a Specialty Track you want to do. Don't be forced into one that you may regret as time passes. I would suggest finding a Specialty Track that has no one doing it in your squadron. This way you will be filling the need of a postion that is not taken. There is no reason why you can't hold multiply Specialty Tracks down the road as you grasp the duties of the first one.

Logistics is a good Specialty Track to get your feet wet and learn all the asets the squadron has.

Hawk200

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 02, 2009, 02:20:48 PM...there's nothing in a CAP regulation that says anyone has to do anything on a weekend!

True, but there's nothing that says that all training has to be done on your schedule, either.

SLS and CLC are typically done on weekends. RSC is over a week. Sure, you don't have to attend, but you may need them to get promoted.

If you don't get them, you don't promote. Eventually, someone quits after getting mad about not being spoonfed, and everyone else breathes a sigh of relief that the whiner is gone. Had one quit a few weeks ago because he didn't get training the way he wanted it. Nobody really seems to miss him. If they do, it's more of a case of: "I promise to miss you, as long as you go away!"

My commander pretty much tells people that even though it's volunteer, things need to get done in a timely manner. If you wanna play football or join the glee club, then there is a choice that needs to be made.

Sure, volunteers don't get paid, but then again, no one gets paid to play high school football either.

I think a commander that forbids weekend training sessions to pursue their own priorities needs to be replaced. A commander does not have to be present at every single function the squadron has, just needs a competent person to be in charge of it.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2009, 04:06:32 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 01, 2009, 04:16:21 AM

No, its not.

There are several states which direct members to enter tasking into the WMU.

Follow the durections given to you by your state.

You can enter the tasking in WMU, but that doesn't prevent you from entering the specialty tracks in E-services, simultaneously.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

seniormember1976

Thanks for the tip!  I went ahead and entered not only my stuff but my daughter's as well into e-services.  Just waiting to see what flak I get for this  :D!

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 02, 2009, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 02, 2009, 02:20:48 PM...there's nothing in a CAP regulation that says anyone has to do anything on a weekend!

I think a commander that forbids weekend training sessions to pursue their own priorities needs to be replaced. A commander does not have to be present at every single function the squadron has, just needs a competent person to be in charge of it.
It has been my experience that a leader of a volunteer organization who acts as described would be far too insecure to allow someone else to "run" an event at which she/he was not present.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 02, 2009, 08:12:14 PM
Sure, volunteers don't get paid, but then again, no one gets paid to play high school football either.

I am so tired of hearing the "But I'm a volunteer" rationale for not following the regs or wanting special treatment that I now have to restrain myself from physical violence when I hear it again.

My new stance is that anyone who attempts to justify anything with that excuse should be 2b'd instantly.

I'd rather have five committed members than 25 who say that they can do what they want the way they want because they are volunteers.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 03, 2009, 09:10:16 PM
I'd rather have five committed members than 25 who say that they can do what they want the way they want because they are volunteers.

+10

CAP's #1 priority should be to do whatever it takes to quash the "You're lucky I showed up at all..." mentality.  Those of us who are holding up the table leg on this little tea party are tired of hearing it.

If that means 30% attrition, so be it.  We'll all be better off for it, and the "new guys" that replace the 30% won't have those issues because expectations will be set properly from day 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2009, 10:06:22 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on August 03, 2009, 09:10:16 PM

+10

CAP's #1 priority should be to do whatever it takes to quash the "You're lucky I showed up at all..." mentality.  Those of us who are holding up the table leg on this little tea party are tired of hearing it.

If that means 30% attrition, so be it.  We'll all be better off for it, and the "new guys" that replace the 30% won't have those issues because expectations will be set properly from day 1.

I agree.

25 whiners don't accomplish all that much.  They just take up space.

5 committed members who want to get the job done, I'd take it any day.

seniormember1976

It's really great to hear that other people feel that "it's a volunteer organization" is a bad attitude to have.  We have heard that attitude from day one in our squadron.  Started to feel like we were maybe weird or something for thinking we have to put effort in, not only for ourselves but our cadets as well.  I do want to say that I really appreciate all the advice and opinions that I have read from everyone.

Rotorhead

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 09, 2009, 12:27:12 AM
It's really great to hear that other people feel that "it's a volunteer organization" is a bad attitude to have.  We have heard that attitude from day one in our squadron. 

As I said, you ought to find a  new squadron.

They're not all the way you describe. If they were, i wouldn't be a member of CAP.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ