the "Paperless Wing" project

Started by ande.boyer, July 11, 2006, 05:24:46 AM

ande.boyer

Does anyone have any knowledge of / experience with the "paperless wing" project?  Google can't seem to find much on it.  I noticed that it looks like VAWG and SCWG are making use of it, but since I'm not a member of those wings I can't log in an poke around.

Was this a project that was eventually merged into MIMS?  It seems like there's still a lot of work that canbe done to make our organization closer to paperless.

Ande Boyer

CLB

I thought this was a mandatory thing sub 2004 for all wings.  The only thing we have paper for in SC are initial applications.   

Paperless is absolutely awesome.  You can have access to any form, pub, pamphlet, reg...anything that the wing needs to get to it's people QUICK.   Everything is done by E-mail, with an "E-signature".  Speeds the process up like you wouldn't believe.  I actually changed ST's and had a buttload of old credentials transfered to SC in 5 minutes one night.

I can actually send in a form to the wing DC in PDF format via e-mail, have him approve it, send it to the next authority for approval if needed,  send me a signed copy and I print it for a hard copy for my records.   

Speaking of MIMS...here it is not so much in paperless as it is in the NTC page.  When you open the program, you get a bar along the left hand side of the screen with the folowing:

ADMIN
DOCUMENT LIBRARY
MEMBER INQUIRY
COMM DATABASE
ES FUNCTIONS
AIRCRAFT SCHEDULE

More towards the center of the screen you get personal functions, operations functions and various list signups.     

The sad thing is, SC has gone 100% paperless since 2004, and some of the old gents are still trying to mail forms in and order more forms via USPS.  They just don't get it, and when you try to explain it to them, they simply just don't want to learn and act like they are offended that you are trying to tell them an easier way to do their job. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Becks

I agree, paperless-wing rocks.  It simplifies pretty much everything, and the ability to process most things almost instantaneously is pretty nice as well.  However what LT said is right, we do have a few (a very key person when it comes to forums) who just either dont want to, or cant get away from the old paper forums.  Ive had a few awards not go through because he insisted on using snailmail to send them in, which wing wont accept to begin with.

BBATW

CAPSeahawk8

NC Wing is the same way, the system is so much easier especially with WIMRS integration. You can run your mission in cyberspace and all the paperwork comes out at the end.

Capt Andy Wiggs, CAP
CV/Group 3 NCWG

CLB

Quote from: Becks on July 11, 2006, 02:35:37 PM
I agree, paperless-wing rocks.  It simplifies pretty much everything, and the ability to process most things almost instantaneously is pretty nice as well.  However what LT said is right, we do have a few (a very key person when it comes to forums) who just either dont want to, or cant get away from the old paper forums.  Ive had a few awards not go through because he insisted on using snailmail to send them in, which wing wont accept to begin with.

Unfortunately, this is a major problem with paperless.  As a mater of fact, I would be roughly 5 months away from making Capt. if it weren't for not only people refusing to learn the "new" (I saw new at this point 2 years after implementation....ha!) but the particular gentleman in question.  Because of his stubborness, he has put me more than 6 months behind on my PD.  This is the same man that has caused Drew here to miss out on a few awards.   

My Red Service Ribbon, Find Ribbon, he screwed up my promotion to 2 and 1 LT  as well. 

[darn] good thing my wife is now his "boss".  At least she takes the time to learn the new regs and will NOT accept ANYTHING unless it's in the proper format.....E-mail. 

Not to hijack the thread...I sincerely thought all wings were paperless after 2004.  PLEASE, when the WG says you're going paperless...LEARN THE NEW SYSTEM.  You'll appreciate the ease and if you are in an admin position, your SQ will as well. 
Capt Christopher Bishop

Pylon

Quote from: CLB on July 13, 2006, 05:54:13 AM
Not to hijack the thread...I sincerely thought all wings were paperless after 2004.

Haha, are you kidding?  Only a small handful of forms might be able to be emailed here in New York Wing, but paperwork still moves through the U.S. Postal Service in triplicates.  Heck, we're still using paper CAPF 100's to request 101 cards and new ratings!

I'd love to see a "paperless" wing project in action, but alas... we're not out of the weeds yet.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Becks

Ouch Pylon that stinks.  I guess you have to do what SCWG did and just stop accepting paper; tends to make the change come about.

BBATW

ZigZag911

Didn't National give every group & squadron in the country a laptop and printer??
Or is that project still in process??

One thought with unit commanders who are not computer literate would be for the personnel officer to prepare emails and electronic forms, then sit with CC and get 'approvals'.

During my most recent tenure in command we transitioned to 'paperless', first with 101 cards (SQTR? or whatever they're called now)....anyway, my DP used to corner me once a month or so so with a stack of papers needing signature....later on, she sent emails for my approval, or else forms simply showed up in CAP eServices....but that's not the point, people not familiar with computers sometimes need support using them.....they don't understand the machines, and, frankly, some times worry about damaging data.

Becks

Cant say we ever got a laptop at our squadron.  I brought one of my old personal ones in, but a cadet, who volunteered to reformat/unpartition the hard-drive for me,  absent-mindedly sat ontop of it and broke the screen....yay.

BBATW

SarDragon

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 13, 2006, 03:56:29 PM
Didn't National give every group & squadron in the country a laptop and printer??
Or is that project still in process??

Hmmm. I first heard about that four(?) years ago, and we're still waiting for ours. Not holding our breath.

Quote from: ZigZag911One thought with unit commanders who are not computer literate would be for the personnel officer to prepare emails and electronic forms, then sit with CC and get 'approvals'.

During my most recent tenure in command we transitioned to 'paperless', first with 101 cards (SQTR? or whatever they're called now)....anyway, my DP used to corner me once a month or so so with a stack of papers needing signature....later on, she sent emails for my approval, or else forms simply showed up in CAP eServices....but that's not the point, people not familiar with computers sometimes need support using them.....they don't understand the machines, and, frankly, some times worry about damaging data.

Support works when those needing it will accept it. I know several folks who absolutely refuse to touch a computer because they are convinced that they can't possibly learn how to use it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

There are also those who think it is a tool of the devil because it can make their files disappear as if by black magic, and the words "back up your files" are incomprehensible. :(
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Becks

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 13, 2006, 07:36:55 PM
There are also those who think it is a tool of the devil because it can make their files disappear as if by black magic
No no no sir, what youre thinking of is called a mac.  :P

BBATW

SarDragon

Come on folks. If you want to play computer bashing, find a different playground.

A computer is a tool, no more, no less. Trying to proclaim one platform is better than another is like proclaiming Stanley screwdrivers are better or worse than Craftsman screwdrivers. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what you have established a brand loyalty for.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CLB

Quote from: SarDragon on July 14, 2006, 07:00:40 AM
Come on folks. If you want to play computer bashing, find a different playground.

A computer is a tool, no more, no less. Trying to proclaim one platform is better than another is like proclaiming Stanley screwdrivers are better or worse than Craftsman screwdrivers. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what you have established a brand loyalty for.

I think it was supposed to be a tongue in cheek comment sir. 

Sort of like those Mac v. PC vids on TV and the internet. 
Capt Christopher Bishop

Becks

Quote from: CLB on July 14, 2006, 07:29:43 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 14, 2006, 07:00:40 AM

I think it was supposed to be a tongue in cheek comment sir. 

Sort of like those Mac v. PC vids on TV and the internet. 

Chris is correct, just a little bit of sarcasm. 

BBATW

ande.boyer

Quote from: CLB on July 13, 2006, 05:54:13 AMPLEASE, when the WG says you're going paperless...LEARN THE NEW SYSTEM.  You'll appreciate the ease and if you are in an admin position, your SQ will as well. 

Where can one go to learn about such a system?  I do IT for a living, so I'm perfectly comfortable with computers, the internet, web development, etc.....however, if I am to sell the wing brass on such a system, I need to know as much as posssible about it.  But, if I'm not in a wing that uses it, how am I to learn? 

There doesn't seem to be anything on the nat'l site....and Google hasn't found a "manual" or any kind of introduction for me.... does anyone know of any resources such as this?

Thanks,
Ande

Becks

If I took a screenshot of our wing's layout would that help you?
http://scwg.cap.gov is the main site, however you cant really access the paperless part without logging in.

Edit: Also Ande where are you located?

BBATW

ande.boyer

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on July 13, 2006, 03:30:42 PM

Haha, are you kidding?  Only a small handful of forms might be able to be emailed here in New York Wing, but paperwork still moves through the U.S. Postal Service in triplicates.

NYWG staff must be made up of Vogons.  :)