BDU: To wear or not to wear that is the question!

Started by Cap Zapped, July 30, 2009, 10:01:58 PM

Cap Zapped

Hello, everyone! Ok, need to get the official word from  you vets out there, as I am totally new at this, and please don't direct me to ask my fellow senior higher ranks for the answer, as they are unsure as well.  Here is the question: Can you wear the BLUE BDU when you are acting as Scanner, Observer, or even pilot? Or...do you have to wear a flying suit?

Thanks!

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

You can wear any CAP uniform unless your Wing or Region has actually mandated something specific (most have not). 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on July 30, 2009, 10:05:06 PM
You can wear any CAP uniform unless your Wing or Region has actually mandated something specific (most have not).

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Cap Zapped on July 30, 2009, 10:01:58 PM
Hello, everyone! Ok, need to get the official word from  you vets out there, as I am totally new at this, and please don't direct me to ask my fellow senior higher ranks for the answer, as they are unsure as well.  Here is the question: Can you wear the BLUE BDU when you are acting as Scanner, Observer, or even pilot? Or...do you have to wear a flying suit?

Thanks!
Since the answer has been given, I will make a comment on checking with your chain of command before posting here - You did it RIGHT. Too many times someone will ask a question here that is properly addressed to their chain. To those who ask here AFTER checking,  :clap: :clap: :clap: you'll find people are more apt to answer politely.

Thank you.

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on July 30, 2009, 10:05:06 PM

Mess dress is not recommended.  ;D  A utility type uniform is best - with a flight suit preferred by most.  But yes, you can wear BBDUs.

Strick

Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Strick on July 31, 2009, 01:55:01 AM
Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that ;D

There's gotta be an after-five air sortie!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DC

If you can, I would recommend getting a flight bag, they are a lot more comfortable than BDUs for those long sorties... They can get a little warm though, if that is a major consideration.

Just my $0.02...

Eclipse

Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that.

its not really that far-fetched, what about a dining out or similar on an airport?

I could see a few commanders from 1/2 a state away jumping in a CAP plane in mess dress or service dress.

It only says a uniform, nothing more (except in CAWG).

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:05:51 AM
Dude !!!! when you said mess dress I fell out of my seat laughing because I could visualize some SM doing something like that.

its not really that far-fetched, what about a dining out or similar on an airport?

I could see a few commanders from 1/2 a state away jumping in a CAP plane in mess dress or service dress.

That's flying in style!

And discomfort!

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on July 31, 2009, 02:05:43 AM
If you can, I would recommend getting a flight bag, they are a lot more comfortable than BDUs for those long sorties... They can get a little warm though, if that is a major consideration.

Just my $0.02...

Or a utility - looks the same, works the same, much cooler in the summer, and costs about 1/4 what a new Nomex costs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on July 31, 2009, 02:07:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2009, 02:05:51 AM

That's flying in style!

And discomfort!

Heh - nothing like turning $50 worth of mini medals into FOD with the seatbelt!  ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Is anyone but me worried that the original poster's squadron leadership wasn't able to answer this simple question?  If this is a non-flying unit, I suppose that would be ok.  But, if this is a flying unit, just about anyone should have known this.  Its not like its some obscure requirement in the supply regulations. 

Eclipse

Yeah, it flew through my mind, but you and I know this is typical.

Commanders can't be bothered to read the regs, instead relying on rumor and hearsay and WIWAC.

Members, poorly trained, who can't be bothered to read them either in an effort to answer their own questions, or support their interpretations.

And the worst - misinformed members, or members with a hidden bias against one uniform or another who simply make things up out of "whole cloth" (pun intended), and then get hyper-defensive when they are called out.

Another place a centralized basic training would be a good idea - kill this stuff before it starts.

The key, for those scoring at home, is that military-style regs tell you what you can do/wear/etc.  Rarely do they tell you what you can't.  If is not in the text, you can't do it.

And anyone arguing with the text needs to have a supplement, ICL, or similar in hand to make the respective argument.

Arguing our regulations are "too complicated" doesn't fly, because the most basic components and wear of CAP uniforms hasn't really changed much in a decade, and nothing worth mentioning has changed in at nearly two years.

And belay the comments here about expiring ICLS - yes, they do expire, and no its not relevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2009, 02:43:45 AM
Is anyone but me worried that the original poster's squadron leadership wasn't able to answer this simple question?  If this is a non-flying unit, I suppose that would be ok.  But, if this is a flying unit, just about anyone should have known this.  Its not like its some obscure requirement in the supply regulations.
Yeah, I was sort of hoping that his unit had no other flyers, and he was headed off to an exercise or school somewhere far removed, otherwise...you'd hope a question that simple would be easily answered.  For that matter, if I didn't know I bet, you know what

wait one...

I'm back.  As I supposed, less than one minute and I had the answer from the CAP Knowledgebase.  Searched on UNIFORMS and FLYING.  Sixth answer down had it.

BTW, that answer also noted that CAPM39-1 authorizes the following for flying:

QuoteTable 1-1. Wearing the Uniform

Members may wear the uniform:
flying in CAP aircraft (corporate and member-owned aircraft used in CAP flight activity). The service uniform, BDUs, utility uniform, field uniform, CAP or AF style flight suit, CAP blazer, aviator shirt, or knit shirt uniform combinations are all authorized. The wing commander, or designee, will prescribe the type clothing to be worn by members while flying or engaging in organized recreational activities. The region commander will prescribe wear policy for members of the region headquarters.

Note the complete lack of MESS DRESS in that list!  I guess somebody thought about it, and decided that wouldn't work so well.

Thom Hamilton

RiverAux

Well, that sword would be a bear in the cockpit.   >:D

Hawk200

Hawk200

OK, a Civil Air Patrol sword. What does it have to do with the cockpit?