Main Menu

Vanguard - ouch!

Started by dwb, June 29, 2006, 06:21:30 PM

dwb

$7.00 shipping for a $12.00 order consisting of patches that, in total, probably weigh less than 1 lb.  :-\  I mean, really, this could be sent USPS for under $2.00.

In the CAPMart days, you used to be able to call and dicker the shipping price.  Has anyone tried this with Vanguard?

Chris Jacobs

I am just avoiding them.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

fyrfitrmedic

Vanguard's CAP 'store' website still borders on gibberish; phone calls made by some of my home unit's members to Vanguard have been considerably less than productive.

Their shipping rates border on rape.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

chadderby

>:(
Vanguard Sucks!, they always get my order wrong, not enough pictures on there website, everything is back ordered.
They are just as back as CapMart was
Major Derby
NCR-ND-119
Happy Hooligans

Psicorp

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 29, 2006, 06:21:30 PM
$7.00 shipping for a $12.00 order consisting of patches that, in total, probably weigh less than 1 lb.  :-\  I mean, really, this could be sent USPS for under $2.00.

In the CAPMart days, you used to be able to call and dicker the shipping price.  Has anyone tried this with Vanguard?

Personally, I place all orders through www.thehock.com.  I figure if I'm going to line someone's pockets, it might as well be a CAP member's.  So far I've only had one order screw up...items left out of an order, no big deal since it was two items just to round out the order.   

Paying shipping always grates on my nerves whether it's CAP stuff or stuff I buy on Ebay.  I always pay more than the actual shipping plus packaging costs.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on September 12, 2006, 04:20:11 PM
Personally, I place all orders through www.thehock.com.  I figure if I'm going to line someone's pockets, it might as well be a CAP member's.  So far I've only had one order screw up...items left out of an order, no big deal since it was two items just to round out the order.

Don't care for the quality of some of the stuff from The Hock, other stuff is better... My preference is to shop around.  I'm willing to pay more or shop elsewhere including shopping at civilairpatrolstore.com if it means I get better stuff, but not necessarily better service.

My unit uses the package deals for BDUs and Field Uniforms from The Hock a lot... You get what you pay for quality wise though.
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on September 12, 2006, 05:14:30 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on September 12, 2006, 04:20:11 PM

Don't care for the quality of some of the stuff from The Hock, other stuff is better... My preference is to shop around.  I'm willing to pay more or shop elsewhere including shopping at civilairpatrolstore.com if it means I get better stuff, but not necessarily better service.

My unit uses the package deals for BDUs and Field Uniforms from The Hock a lot... You get what you pay for quality wise though.

That is normally the case in regards to quality, Sir, you do generally get what you pay for.

But I can't really believe that the Wal-CAP store is much better.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on September 12, 2006, 05:19:40 PM

For white on blue cloth grade insignia and badges and wings, I think civilairpatrolstore.com is better.  The Hock has their stuff on a thicker backing that I find hard to work with and sometimes the color is a bit off... purplish.

Tapes I get from 1800nametape.com.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on September 12, 2006, 05:47:13 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on September 12, 2006, 05:19:40 PM
Tapes I get from 1800nametape.com.

I always got very quick service, good quality, and very reasonable prices from nametape.com (8th street tailor).

A buck fifty for shipping, no matter how many nametapes you order?  And no minimum order?  That's gotta be a pretty good deal, especially when you compare it to Vanguard on that service.

I agree with Mike in that I don't think any one vendor corners the market for CAP supplies, insignia, and whatnot.  Different vendors have their pluses and drawbacks, and it's up to the individual shopper to figure out what to buy from which vendor.  In the end, it's probably a near wash anyways.

:P  *shrug*
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Xeno

I have tried to avoid Vanguard as best as possible. I order everything I can from alternate sources nowadays.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

afgeo4

I've placed a handful of orders from Vanguard and their merchandise is of much better quality than the Hock's, but... and this is a BIG but...

It takes these guys 4 to 6 business days to pull the items and get them shipped.  Then , since they've wasted almost two weeks of their time they feel obligated to send everything FedEx overnight at a cost of $7 even if you're just ordering one ribbon!  Come on folk!  We're volunteers, not Microsoft executives!  Just imagine if military personnel (who get allowances for uniforms) had to deal with that type of service.  There's a reason why AAFES doesn't charge for shipping.  It's an outrage!  Frankly, I'm seeing less items (try ordering a US flag w/ velcro for your flightsuit) and less pictures at Vanguard, not to mention the fact that items seem to appear in weird categories (try finding the senior rating denoting bronze star for cadet programs badge).  I never thought I'd say this, but I miss CAPMart.  At least I knew I could count on them to supply me with what I need in a reasonable amount of time.

By the way, my last order was placed on the 22Sep06 and is yet to be confirmed to be shipped.
GEORGE LURYE

Smokey

I too miss Capmart.  I always had good luck with them.  They knew the 39-1, quickly answered questions, had reasonable shipping charges and most orders were shipped with a day or so.  It was easy to order items and the catalog you could hold in your hands was a big plus.

I've placed one order with Vanguard.  It did arrive in a reasonable time, but the shipping for mostly patches and ribbons was outrageous. However, a few days after I placed the order, I checked on line my order status and it still was pending.   Then the package arrived two days later, but the online status still showed it was pending!!!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

jacklumanog

Quote from: Pylon on September 12, 2006, 07:25:41 PM
I always got very quick service, good quality, and very reasonable prices from nametape.com (8th street tailor).
Thanks for the lead on this!  Never heard of this website before you mentioned it here.  The shipping cost makes this a steal!
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

mawr

Though Vanguard is far from perfect, my last order with them was shipped with some ribbons and a shirt back ordered.  Vanguard shipped the items as they became available at no additional charge for shipping.  I recieved the initial shipment in about 3 weeks.  The second in another week and the final in about another 2 weeks.

Timely? No, but I did recieve the additional shipments without me have to harrass them and all for $7.00 shipping.  A fair deal.

I now need a fight cap device and I'm hesitant to order until I need enough to justify the seven bucks.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

afgeo4

CapMart never had problems with shipping partial orders if some things were backordered.  They too never charged additional shipping charges.  The charges were just a lot smaller to begin with.  I think this is another government type business deal where the lowest bidder became the biggest gainer.
GEORGE LURYE

flyguy06

I miss the days when I could just hop on I-85 south and 2 hours later I am at Maxwell shopping at the CAP Bookstore

Psicorp

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 03, 2006, 11:17:05 PM
I miss the days when I could just hop on I-85 south and 2 hours later I am at Maxwell shopping at the CAP Bookstore

*grin*  I've made quite a few of those pilgrimages to CAP Mecca myself, usually with a car load of cadets.  *sigh* Why does that make me feel old?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

flyguy06

I live in Atlanta so its not that long of a drive. Havent done it in a while. I will make another trip down there to visit HQ soon

CAP006

Chadderby, That is so true! CAPMart has everything you need for cheaper.  :)
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

SarDragon

Quote from: CAP006 on October 13, 2006, 12:21:43 AM
Chadderby, That is so true! CAPMart has everything you need for cheaper.  :)

? ? ? ? ?

CAPMart is dead. Hadn't you heard?  :o

Did I miss something here? Please enlighten me.  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret