Saw CAP encampment while doing National Guard stuff

Started by flyguy06, June 26, 2009, 02:55:29 PM

flyguy06

What a small world. last week, I was at Ft McClellan, AL in Anniston. I am a National Guard officer and was being a TAC officer at the National guard Accelerated OCS program.

As I was checking in, I noticed the barracks down the street a few familiar looking white vans. iwent to investigate and sure enough theyhad that familiar CAP emblem onit. The AL/MSWG joint summer encamoment was also being held there the same week.

In fact, they ate in the same DFAC we did so I saw them everyday. It was interesting seeing two very important parts of my life in the same setting. i am sure the cadets loved seing us TAC the Officer candidates. Can saythe other way around though.

Funny story. At OCS, we make the candidates go trhough DFAC procedures which is basically a series of pull ups, sit ups and push ups. While doing this they must recite various things such as the 5 paragraghs in an OPORD, the 8 troop leading procedures and soforth. if they get it wrong, they earn an express trip to the sand pit where they pratice their low crawling skils until they get the required information correct.

Anyway, we were doing this oneday and here come the CAP cadets. Iguess intheir mind they wanted to help. They began chanting "fired up OC's, fired up" There intent was to motivate the Candidates. And i am sure it did, however it was pissing us (the TAC Officers) off. Not because of the cadrs, but becaue the CAP cadets were actually sounding off louder than the adult officer candidates. So, that made us (the TACS) turn the hea tup even more on the candidates.
Ihad a blast and I was glad the CAP cadets were there. Maybe I will volunteer for that encampment next summer and intorduce them to the sand pit  ;D

Nolan Teel

Many years ago I went to the ALWG Encampment as Staff at Ft. McClellan.  Ironically that was a base I lived on growing up since my dad was stationed there.

We had a blast that week during encampment and I remember vividly seeing the guard OCS class going on.  Our goal each morning was to be out in formation first for PT before the OCS class was out. Some of the instructors for the OCS Class got to know a few of us CAP cadets during chow.   At chow one evening while in line explaining what CAP was to some of the OCS Instructors I asked them if they would like to come over and inspect our barracks and cadets.  I've never seen smiles on NCO's faces like I did that day.  The encampment commander approved since he was standing right there.  So the next day after breakfast all the cadets lined their racks and waited for the NCOs.  We made sure they new most of the cadets were 12-15 so keep it PG and not to scare them away from the military.  It was a great experience had by all, including when they turned to inspect the staff barracks.  Good thing we were prepared!

LtCol Hooligan

I was the commander of an encampment at Camp Grafton, ND back in 2006 and i actually had Army personnel ask if the cadets could tone it down a little when they were doing PT in the morning.  Apparently they were too loud at 0500!!  What was even better is that by the end of the week the Army had moved the start time for their PT from 0530 up to 0445 just to be out there before the cadets.  That was priceless!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

smitjud

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 26, 2009, 02:55:29 PM

Anyway, we were doing this oneday and here come the CAP cadets. Iguess intheir mind they wanted to help. They began chanting "fired up OC's, fired up" There intent was to motivate the Candidates. And i am sure it did, however it was pissing us (the TAC Officers) off. Not because of the cadrs, but becaue the CAP cadets were actually sounding off louder than the adult officer candidates. So, that made us (the TACS) turn the hea tup even more on the candidates.
Ihad a blast and I was glad the CAP cadets were there. Maybe I will volunteer for that encampment next summer and intorduce them to the sand pit  ;D

Yep, those are my cadets :)

Thanks for dropping by, Capt. Bell, it was nice to meet you there!
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

Quote from: Nolan Teel on June 26, 2009, 03:20:07 PM
Many years ago I went to the ALWG Encampment as Staff at Ft. McClellan. 

dude!  you're making me feel old!  it wasn't THAT long ago!

come back sometime!

does this look familiar?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4004336&l=9f357b531d&id=7005926
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: smitjud on July 15, 2009, 09:01:09 PM
Quote from: Nolan Teel on June 26, 2009, 03:20:07 PM
Many years ago I went to the ALWG Encampment as Staff at Ft. McClellan. 

dude!  you're making me feel old!  it wasn't THAT long ago!

come back sometime!

does this look familiar?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4004336&l=9f357b531d&id=7005926

Hey, what's up with the state trooper-style salute?  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

smitjud

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 26, 2009, 02:55:29 PM

In fact, they ate in the same DFAC we did so I saw them everyday. It was interesting seeing two very important parts of my life in the same setting. i am sure the cadets loved seing us TAC the Officer candidates. Cant say the other way around though.

Funny story. At OCS, we make the candidates go trhough DFAC procedures which is basically a series of pull ups, sit ups and push ups. While doing this they must recite various things such as the 5 paragraghs in an OPORD, the 8 troop leading procedures and soforth. if they get it wrong, they earn an express trip to the sand pit where they pratice their low crawling skils until they get the required information correct.

Anyway, we were doing this oneday and here come the CAP cadets. Iguess intheir mind they wanted to help. They began chanting "fired up OC's, fired up" There intent was to motivate the Candidates. And i am sure it did, however it was pissing us (the TAC Officers) off. Not because of the cadrs, but becaue the CAP cadets were actually sounding off louder than the adult officer candidates. So, that made us (the TACS) turn the heat up even more on the candidates.

I think this is the exact moment you speak of:

ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower