Main Menu

nywing med staff

Started by kc2ush, June 02, 2009, 11:52:31 PM

kc2ush

im going to my basic encampment this year and next year i want to go back as med staff what are the requrments
thanks

notaNCO forever

You should wait to see how you like basic encampment before deciding to go back. After deciding you like encampment you need to apply for and be accepted as staff, which requires being a high speed cadet.

Pylon

In NYWG, the current staff requirements include being a C/TSgt or above and having graduated a CAP encampment.  However, merely meeting the minimum requirements and applying does not mean you will get a staff slot.  For example, about 90 cadets applied for 50 staff positions this year; that means that 40 fully qualified cadet NCOs and officers did not get accepted to come back as staff. 

How cadets are selected depends entirely on a variety of factors.  Part of the selection process involves a staff selection workshop weekend at the encampment site in the month of May.  Cadets who apply for staff come to the workshop and are evaluated on their performance and suitability for encampment staff.  The staff essay, past performance at encampment(s), your achieved cadet grade and experience at your squadron, other training activities and outside CAP all factor into who gets selected.

The best advice?  Do really well as a basic cadet.  Strive to be the best.  Go back to your squadron and work hard.  If you don't have a staff position yet, be an exemplary cadet and strive ultimately for opportunities to serve your unit.  Advance in grade.   Attend training activities, both CAP and outside CAP.  Build your "CAP Resume", in other words.  The more you have under your belt and to your credit, the better your chances are for being selected.

But as the poster above me suggested, the first challenge you have in front of you is this year's encampment as a first-time cadet.  Keep an open mind, try your hardest, learn as much as you can, live the core values, and strive for excellence.  Good luck.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ThorntonOL

To be on NY Wing's med staff you almost have to have at least basic EMT training, why? The better trained you are the more they want you there, the less trained not so much. (If you want to go for other postions first aid and cpr isn't bad at all and you should at least have the basics of it down  if your doing ground team.)
Back in 2003 when I went as a cadet the only cadet staff member who's training was lower than EMT basic was a female cadet with first aid training and CPR and was there to help with the female cadets who the male med staff wasn't allowed to work on alone with.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron