Main Menu

Temp Tattoos

Started by CadetProgramGuy, June 02, 2009, 05:32:49 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Aside from asking permission from Nat/HQ....

Our local airshows / Flight breakfasts use alot of Temp Tattoos for advertising ect....

Has CAP ever done or approved a Temp Tattoo for events?

Do you think we could get approval for Temp Tattoos?

PhoenixRisen

If NHQ is sending C&D letters to websites telling them to remove CAP logos and products, I wonder what they'd do to little Johnny with a CAP temporary tat on his arm...

I shudder to think...  ;D

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 02, 2009, 06:18:57 AM
If NHQ is sending C&D letters to websites telling them to remove CAP logos and products, I wonder what they'd do to little Johnny with a CAP temporary tat on his arm...

I shudder to think...  ;D

However I do think it is a recruiting tool....(not a great one, but it is one)

es_g0d

I'm not sure the image of a tattoo -- even a temporary one -- really is in line with the ideals of Civil Air Patrol.

On the other hand, I allow my children to use temporary tattoos of Smokey the Bear and cartoon characters.  So its a topic worthy of discussion!  It will be interesting to see what the consensus will be.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

♠SARKID♠

Harmless advertising and recruiting.  Unless you count the fact that temp tattoos are somewhat cutesy and aimed at small children who can't yet join, making it brand imprinting for future recall, turning them into sleeper agents who will have a subconscious urge to give us their money, lives, and souls at a later age.  This is diabolical, I LIKE IT!  :D

swamprat86

They are also popular in the marathon/triathlon environment.  Participants wear them to advertise the club that they are with or some vendor that either sponsors the race or their club.

That being said, if we had CAP ones I would wear them at events like this to advertise.  They are relatively cheap and a good way to show support in a non-CAP activity.  That is until CAP comes out with a bike jersey or triathlon top.   ;)

alamrcn

Well, for little things like this you could go with the "easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission" theory. We're really just assuming National's problem with only Vanguard (or the PA/PR dept) providing these first anyway.

I think this is a new and outstanding recruitment booth idea.

Git-r-done!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Flying Pig

I dont see any military recruiters going that route giving temp GLode and Anchor tats out at airshows, so as CAP I wouldnt.  Even if they were, I wouldnt.  Do face painting of airplanes or something.

dwb

That reminds me, I still have some CadetStuff.org temporary tattoos kicking around...

NIN

Quote from: dwb on June 02, 2009, 04:03:45 PM
That reminds me, I still have some CadetStuff.org temporary tattoos kicking around...

I still have a hundred or so.  Those were from the "CadetStuff Does Vegas!"  National Board trip.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Visible tattoos are prohibited in uniform by regulation - I don't believe it makes the distinction regarding temporary.

Poor / wrong image.

How about face painting and balloon animals too?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2009, 04:27:04 PM
Visible tattoos are prohibited in uniform by regulation - I don't believe it makes the distinction regarding temporary.

That's not entirely accurate Major. My interpretation of the following is that a small tattoo is fine but a large one is not.

From the knowledgebase:

Exposed tattoos must not be excessive. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/brands that exceed 1/4 of the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar USAF style uniform.

See CAPM 39-1 CHAPTER 2 – USAF-STYLE UNIFORMS (SENIOR MEMBERS AND CADETS)  Table 2-5

See Table 2-5 (below) of  CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual

Table 2-5. Clothing/Accessory Standards

Tattoos/Brands- Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the uniform) while in uniform. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/brands that exceeds 1/4 of the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CadetProgramGuy

I will let you all know as soon as i get the denial fron National...

CadetProgramGuy

I just had the thought that Naitonal would most likely deny the use of the red/blue tri-prop for the tattoo, but how about the DDR logo?  That thing is used everywhere...

Thoughts on how I should approach this?  Wing, region, then national?  I need to roam through the regs, I think.

dwb

I would probably just make them and not tell anybody.  But that's just me, and I've been known to get in trouble from time to time.

Always Ready

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 02, 2009, 03:54:01 PM
I dont see any military recruiters going that route giving temp GLode and Anchor tats out at airshows, so as CAP I wouldnt.

Actually, I remember getting an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor temp tat back when I was 10 (so...a decade ago). The Marines always had the coolest fundraisers (which is the super secret codeword for 'recruiting activity for military dependents'). They did facepainting too (usually camo :D ).

I know my younger sister got a AF temp tat (Hap Arnold symbol with "AF Brat" under it) a few years ago at a base Family Day that I skipped out on.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: dwb on June 02, 2009, 07:07:56 PM
I would probably just make them and not tell anybody.  But that's just me, and I've been known to get in trouble from time to time.

Sorry ain't gonna happen, either I get approval or it dies.

In other words, I won't take the fall alone.

Now I have looked into CAPR 900-2, The emblem (my first choice) is controlled by the Exec Director at the review of the General Council.  However it can be used for recruiting purposes as issued by Nat/HQ.
Either way approval must come from CAP/HQ/XPP

The Hap Arnold however, "Commanders may use the symbol effective immediately on "perishable" products and those involving limited expense, such as printed material, clothing, coins, etc. The symbol should not be applied at this time to other "nonperishable"
ses such as aircraft and vehicles. Commanders retain discretion to decide how  the symbol is used in their organizations, consistent with these guidelines."

alamrcn

Take off your "WWNHQD" bracelets, you guys.

This is an awesome idea, now think like a 10-12 year old and come up with a good design.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

notaNCO forever

Quote from: alamrcn on June 02, 2009, 08:08:59 PM

This is an awesome idea, now think like a 10-12 year old and come up with a good design.

Maybe cappy the bird can be integrated into them >:D.

Chappie

Quote from: NCO forever on June 02, 2009, 08:16:33 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on June 02, 2009, 08:08:59 PM

Maybe cappy the bird can be integrated into them >:D.

And have Cadet Ken distribute them .... slam dunk, can't miss idea  :D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)