Wearing a white t-shirt under a corporate polo golf shirt

Started by ascorbate, May 29, 2009, 02:12:07 PM

es_g0d

Perhaps a more important issue is the polo shirt itself.  I like the uniform; mated with a good set of EMT pants (that's 39-1 bait for the sticklers) and sturdy boots I'm ready to work GT, mission base, or aircrew.  It looks professional in front of a camera, and fits in well during interagency incidents.  All big wins.

There are serious detractors with the actual construction of the uniform.  The particular polyester blend withholds body heat in the summer badly, and therefore odors up rather quickly -- if you're working outside, you're going to get about a day out of a shirt before you can't stand it any more.  That's not deployment-friendly in my book.  Next, and more critical, is the fact that it IS a synthetic blend.  In an aircraft (or any other) fire that shirt would shrink-wrap and you'd get to wear it forever.  Most natural fibers and a few synthetics would be much better from this standpoint (the synthetics including aramid nomex and kevlar).  I have my opinions on the natural fiber choices, but I realize that cotton would be the most commercially viable.  (Cotton kills when it gets wet, a very poor survival clothing choice -- merino wool would be better, but it is expensive).

It would be very easy to make the same shirt in another fabric, thus retaining all of the positive characteristics while improving usefulness and utility.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Mustang

A quick Google search reveals NOMEX polo shirts and EMT-type pants are widely available, if on the pricey side:

http://www.aramark-uniform.com/q3/style.html?assort=clearance&style=5030
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

majdomke

I agree with the majority of previous posters, the wear of a white v-neck t-shirt should be the reg. I wear one with mine and you can never see it unless I leave my bottom button unbuttoned. Something I learned at TLC from a former Spaatz cadet, buy the t-shirts one size smaller than you normally wear. They fit better and look better under our military uniforms and polos. I did exactly that and what a difference it made.

Major Carrales

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on May 29, 2009, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 29, 2009, 02:32:48 PM
There are some who won't walk outta the house without wearing a t-shirt under a shirt.

Put me in that category. I wear polo/t-shirt daily in the business world and that is also what I wear under my blue polo for CAP and even under regular t-shirts when just hanging out.

I almost never go without a white t-shirt undergarment.

I agree, a tee shirt plain while crew neck style is an undergarment.  The only V-necks I have are for use with CAP service dress because it is mandated in the regulations.

I almost never wear a polo/golf shirt for any purpose (the only occasion being the one I wear for the school I work at) and I always wear it with a white crewneck tee shirt.  It serves to preserve the color and protect against deoderant stains.

By the way, there is no "dweeb factor" for wearing a crew neck...unless some of you want to take it up with the NAVY and MARINES.  Please think before you post.

Go ahead...tell a Marine he's a dweeb.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spike

I do not understand why people wear an undershirt with the polo shirt.

The Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

Let me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

Two cotton shirts make me perspire more....

If you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

As for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!  We have so much more to be concerned with than if your white undershirt shows under the CAP Polo.  Unless the 39-1 specifically says "Wear a V-Neck with the CAP Polo blah blah blah.....then be concerned.

LETS not invent more ways for the Uniform Nazis to trash others.   

OK

DG

This sounds like a bunch of women.

Discussing fashion.

You guys got nothing else to work on?

Give me a call.  I'll give you some serious issues to work on, for the corporation.

Spike

Quote from: DG on June 06, 2009, 08:24:27 PM

Discussing fashion.

Give me a call.  I'll give you some serious issues to work on, for the corporation.

Excuse me.  There is nothing wrong with discussing fashion.  Many MEN have successful careers in that industry.....not to mention I like to dress well.  Maybe you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt everyday.....that does not mean others do the same.

Please apologize to all the women on this board as well.  That was a shot at them too.

How simple minded you are sir.

I agree this thread is trivial.....but don't ridicule those that are taking part.

Shame on you.

Flying Pig

I think its more of a location thing.  Where I am, most men I see always have t-shirts under their polo shirts if they are wearing them.  The majority of CAPers I see are wearing either balck or white crew necks under their polo shirts.  I personally think the white looks sharp.  So does the black.  Who cares.

Gunner C

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on May 29, 2009, 04:01:48 PM
I wear a white undergarment for religious reasons and always wear a crew neck style with both my polo and my flight suit.
I do, too.  In NC, it was difficult to get the "V" neck variety - I bought all of mine while still in the Army and the crew neck was the required type.  I explained to the CAP folks that it was a religious requirement and they understood.

QuoteAs for the flight suit, if I had to wear a black shirt under it, I would be 3 layers at that point (incidently what happens with my BDU's which are not worn much ;) ), and in Utah in the desert, uncomfortable.
Have you tried to get the brown variety from the distribution center?  I showed my CAP membership card and they didn't have a problem with it.  That way I don't have to wear three layers in BDUs.

SarDragon

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PM

The Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

Let me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

Two cotton shirts make me perspire more....

If you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

As for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!  We have so much more to be concerned with than if your white undershirt shows under the CAP Polo.  Unless the 39-1 specifically says "Wear a V-Neck with the CAP Polo blah blah blah.....then be concerned.

LETS not invent more ways for the Uniform Nazis to trash others.   

OK

See my post on page 1. Also, I don't worry about deodorent stains cuz i don't generally use (but you would never know if I hadn't told you).

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
Quote from: DG on June 06, 2009, 08:24:27 PM

Discussing fashion.

Excuse me.  There is nothing wrong with discussing fashion.  Many MEN have successful careers in that industry.....not to mention I like to dress well.  Maybe you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt everyday.....that does not mean others do the same.

Please apologize to all the women on this board as well.  That was a shot at them too.

How simple minded you are sir.

I agree this thread is trivial.....but don't ridicule those that are taking part.

Shame on you.

I concur, lets try not to demean the sexes here by making such generalizations.  Especially when, this occasion, the generalization seems to be FALSE.

It should be, and has, been pointed out that the UNIFORM threads of these forums overflow what is considered natural convention for posting topics.  I would say that there are LOTS of MEN discussing CAP fashion to the Nth degree on all these forums.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Hawk200

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PM

Do you wear briefs? To many people, it's the same thing. The wear of undergarments in general is less than comon anymore.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMThe Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

How is it "not casual? to wear an undershirt. It's not a fashion statement to wear an undershirt, it's a matter of personal comfort.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMLet me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

To many here, that's not even a relevant question. A polo shirt is not restricted to a golf course, anymore than "tennis shoes" are restricted to a court.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMIf you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

Personally, I'm not worried about deodorant stains so much as sweat stains. It does reduce the appearance of them for me. It might not for others, but that's not a concern to me.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMAs for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!

That's pretty much the question, although your own questions indicate that you do care. Why bother to feign disinterest when it apparently matters to you? It's not hurting you at all either way, and it's doesn't present a sloppy appearance, just one that many people are not used to.

Spike

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 07, 2009, 07:12:42 PM
Do you wear briefs? To many people, it's the same thing. The wear of undergarments in general is less than comon anymore.

Boxers 

I think the majority still wear undergarments. 

Pumbaa

Boxer Briefs for me....

My wear of a t-shirt is to protect the overshirt, in this case the polo from body sweat and stains.  This ensures that the garment has longer life.  You do not have to wash it as much. 

This is the original reason under clothes were invented, that and modesty.

stkgc

hi i join 2 months ago im wearing the polo shirt and greay pants im kind of heavy what other uniforms can i wear ? like to know if i can wear my polo shirts and bdu pants ? thanks shawn

Spike

^ Hi I join many years ago I wear polo sometimes you wear polo too you wear white shirt blue pants now too you not allow to wear polo with bdu pant it not allowed.  spike

>:D

Eclipse

I just left an activity with a member wearing this exact thing - it looked sharp "retro" and I would never make an issue of it because there is no comment on it in the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: Spike on June 08, 2009, 01:35:11 AM
^ Hi I join many years ago I wear polo sometimes you wear polo too you wear white shirt blue pants now too you not allow to wear polo with bdu pant it not allowed.  spike

>:D

^You are evil Spike. This made me LOL so hard, soda shot out of my nose!

On-topic: I don't see a problem with someone wearing a crew neck t-shirt under their polo. Some people (like me) can sweat a flood doing the most minor of tasks. The undershirt soaks up the sweat, which keeps that person looking professional...well at least somewhat professional.

As far as the v-neck vs. crew neck debate, it doesn't matter until NHQ says something official stating one or the other or both. Both of them look professional and the crew neck covers the disgusting chest carpets...I mean chest hairs that so many of our members sport.

I think NHQ should standardize the color of undershirts for the polo too (especially if the undershirt is visible). I've seen black, white, many shades of blue, brown/tan, orange (yes orange), and <sarcasm>my personal favorite flannel!</sarcasm> From what I have seen, black, white, and navy blue look the most professional.

SarDragon

IMHO, BDU trousers don't fit the definition given in CAPM 39-1.

QuoteFigure 4-3
4. CAP knit shirts are worn with gray trousers or slacks (see Table 4-4).

QuoteTable 4-4. Men's and Women's Golf Shirt/Summer Uniform

L
I
N
E

Item

Wear Instructions/Materials
1Slacks/TrousersCommercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

YMMV.

We now return you to t-shirts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret