Wearing a white t-shirt under a corporate polo golf shirt

Started by ascorbate, May 29, 2009, 02:12:07 PM

ascorbate

Recently, we had a senior officer show up at a weekly squadron meeting wearing the corporate uniform (dark blue polo golf shirt and dress grey trousers). After opening formation, I approached the senior officer and commented about the white crew neck t-shirt he was wearing as an undergarment beneath his dark blue polo golf shirt. One of the other senior officers overheard me and pointed to another senior officer in an olive green flight suit who was also wearing a white t-shirt as an undergarment.

I proceeded to find CAPM 39-1 and ascertained that a white t-shirt is authorized for wear as an undergarment with the flight suit but I could not find any mention of whether a white t-shirt could also be worn as an undergarment while also wearing the corporate dark blue polo golf shirt.

I'd like to propose that if a senior officer chooses to wear a t-shirt beneath the corporate golf shirt that the senior officer please wear a dark blue or black t-shirt... any thoughts please!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

cap235629

you are joking right?

If not, I suggest you rethink your approach.

Gigging someone for wearing a white t-shirt with a polo is ridiculous.  Also most people wear a t-shirt when dressing in a business casual atmosphere, which is exactly what the polo/grey is intended to be
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ascorbate

The senior officers portraying the wear of the corporate uniform in CAPM 39-1 are not wearing a white t-shirt as an undergarment.

I'm not against the wearing of a t-shirt as an undergarment... but if the senior officer wants to wear a white t-shirt... maybe that t-shirt should be a v-neck instead?

davidsinn

Quote from: ascorbate on May 29, 2009, 02:12:07 PM
I'd like to propose that if a senior officer chooses to wear a t-shirt beneath the corporate golf shirt that the senior officer please wear a dark blue or black t-shirt... any thoughts please!

My first one would be: why? It's normal everywhere else in the world to wear a white tshirt under a polo and since it's not specified in writing that I would just leave it alone.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

I've never seen anyone wear a t-shirt under a polo shirt, but imagine it would look ridiculous.  Especially white under dark blue.

Maybe an unofficial conversation with fashion tips?

cap235629

also, if you ever brought it up to me in person, you probably would not like the response you would get.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ascorbate on May 29, 2009, 02:25:41 PM
The senior officers portraying the wear of the corporate uniform in CAPM 39-1 are not wearing a white t-shirt as an undergarment.

I'm not against the wearing of a t-shirt as an undergarment... but if the senior officer wants to wear a white t-shirt... maybe that t-shirt should be a v-neck instead?

Unless there is a reg cite like the wear of t-shirts under the blues shirt, I wouldn't worry about it, so long as the t-shirt doesn't look stretched out or dingy. There are some who won't walk outta the house without wearing a t-shirt under a shirt.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ascorbate

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 29, 2009, 02:30:48 PM
I've never seen anyone wear a t-shirt under a polo shirt, but imagine it would look ridiculous.  Especially white under dark blue.

Unfortunately, I've seen it firsthand... and I'll reserve my use of an appropriate adjective!

Rotorhead

Quote from: ascorbate on May 29, 2009, 02:33:51 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on May 29, 2009, 02:30:48 PM

Unfortunately, I've seen it firsthand... and I'll reserve my use of an appropriate adjective!

Why not a v-neck t-shirt? That's what is mandated for the white & greys, IIRC.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

pixelwonk

Granted, there's a certain dweeb factor to wearing a white crewneck under a dark blue polo.

Having said that, if that's the very last thing you need to address to make your unit perfect in every way, then more power to you.  Though I'd doubt that's the case. 
Pick your battles according to the regs, or safety issues.  This falls under neither.

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 29, 2009, 02:32:48 PM
There are some who won't walk outta the house without wearing a t-shirt under a shirt.

Put me in that category. I wear polo/t-shirt daily in the business world and that is also what I wear under my blue polo for CAP and even under regular t-shirts when just hanging out.

I almost never go without a white t-shirt undergarment.

Rotorhead

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on May 29, 2009, 03:22:41 PM
There are some who won't walk outta the house without wearing a t-shirt under a shirt.
Why is that?

(I'm asking honestly.)
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Pumbaa

(I'm asking honestly.)

Modesty for one...  I will not go out without a t-shirt under under a shirt either.  Many cotton shirts are somewhat see-through. 

Also, the purpose of under garments is to protect the shirts from stains from sweating etc.   Don't you love the guy (or gal) that lifts their arms and the sweat is pouring through or you see the yellow stains?  ugh...

This enables easier cleaning as well as letting you to wear the shirt more often with less washing.  ie I can wear a shirt twice before washing vs once without an under garment.  This is actually the original purpose of undergarments as early in history washing clothing was difficult, expensive, time consuming.

Also residue from deodorants/ antiperspirant are kept from staining clothing too.

SilverEagle2

I wear a white undergarment for religious reasons and always wear a crew neck style with both my polo and my flight suit.

Never, EVER, been an issue and looks jut fine. In fact, many Polo wearing seniors here are crew neck wearers too.

Reg....Appropriate undergarments will be worn. Crew neck white seems appropriate enough for the polo.

I used to wear a crew neck with my blues when it was authorized (Cadet Days). I now have a U-neck for them. I wish the crew would come back to the blues. Looks cleaner to me, but MABLUE says U or V.

I also do not like the feel of anything on my chest/neck area that is not my undergarment.

Aside from the nasty, un-uniform look of chest hair protruding, it is a cleaner, healthier, nicer look to wear an undergarment.

And frankly, I think the white under the blue is just fine. Look at the BBDU pics in 39-1. Clean, neat, uniform.

As for the flight suit, if I had to wear a black shirt under it, I would be 3 layers at that point (incidently what happens with my BDU's which are not worn much ;) ), and in Utah in the desert, uncomfortable.

My 2 Cents

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

DogCollar

I also wear a white crew t-shirt under my blue polo, and for the same as reasons stated by others.  I also prefer the crew neck to any other kind of t-shirt.  In my opinion a white t-shirt looks a lot better with the blue polo than either a blue or especially a black t-shirt!!

All that said, a t-shirt is not mentioned at all in 39-5, therefore a white crew is perfectly acceptable.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Climbnsink

I wear a black T-shirt under the polo sometimes.  I gotta ask, What is the offending members specialty track?

Chappie

I always wear the v-neck under the blue polo....and the rest of my shirts.  On a rush to CAP event once I grabbed the wrong set of t-shirts -- crew necks.  Had to convert them to v-necks for the CAP event since I was wearing the blue uniform.  Decided that it would be easier to stick with v-necks.   And I wear them for the same reasons cited by others.  Besides...Hanes makes me feel good all under (if you remember that ad  :o ).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

I wear undershirts as a matter of habit. My dad was in the Navy, and required that I wear them when I was a kid. Twenty-one years in the Navy reinforced that habit. I wear mostly V-necks under my everyday clothes (even T-shirts), and crew necks under those CAP uniforms requiring them.

I endorse most of the reasons above. My outer shirts stay nicer, the sweaty stink stays in the undershirt, and it doesn't seem any more uncomfortable in the summer with the extra layer.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Well now, I think I've heard just about everthing now... I guess there are no more subjects that can be discussed on CAPTALK anymore.  Oh well.....

Talk about a slow news day :o

BTW, I wouldn't be caught dead without a T under my polo  ;D

biomed441

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on May 29, 2009, 04:01:48 PM
I used to wear a crew neck with my blues when it was authorized (Cadet Days). I now have a U-neck for them. I wish the crew would come back to the blues. Looks cleaner to me, but MABLUE says U or V.

Agreed. The blues would look much better with a white crew neck under them.  IIRC the Navy uses white crews under their khakis or whatever the name of that uniform is. Looks clean and sharp.

As for the polos, regs just say appropriate undergarment and as far as I see it, white, black, blue, with any kind of neck looks fine.  Personal preferance of course, I always have a white or black t-shirt under my polos. Don't have a CAP polo yet but will likely be using black or white with that as well.

es_g0d

Perhaps a more important issue is the polo shirt itself.  I like the uniform; mated with a good set of EMT pants (that's 39-1 bait for the sticklers) and sturdy boots I'm ready to work GT, mission base, or aircrew.  It looks professional in front of a camera, and fits in well during interagency incidents.  All big wins.

There are serious detractors with the actual construction of the uniform.  The particular polyester blend withholds body heat in the summer badly, and therefore odors up rather quickly -- if you're working outside, you're going to get about a day out of a shirt before you can't stand it any more.  That's not deployment-friendly in my book.  Next, and more critical, is the fact that it IS a synthetic blend.  In an aircraft (or any other) fire that shirt would shrink-wrap and you'd get to wear it forever.  Most natural fibers and a few synthetics would be much better from this standpoint (the synthetics including aramid nomex and kevlar).  I have my opinions on the natural fiber choices, but I realize that cotton would be the most commercially viable.  (Cotton kills when it gets wet, a very poor survival clothing choice -- merino wool would be better, but it is expensive).

It would be very easy to make the same shirt in another fabric, thus retaining all of the positive characteristics while improving usefulness and utility.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Mustang

A quick Google search reveals NOMEX polo shirts and EMT-type pants are widely available, if on the pricey side:

http://www.aramark-uniform.com/q3/style.html?assort=clearance&style=5030
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

majdomke

I agree with the majority of previous posters, the wear of a white v-neck t-shirt should be the reg. I wear one with mine and you can never see it unless I leave my bottom button unbuttoned. Something I learned at TLC from a former Spaatz cadet, buy the t-shirts one size smaller than you normally wear. They fit better and look better under our military uniforms and polos. I did exactly that and what a difference it made.

Major Carrales

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on May 29, 2009, 03:22:41 PM

Put me in that category. I wear polo/t-shirt daily in the business world and that is also what I wear under my blue polo for CAP and even under regular t-shirts when just hanging out.

I agree, a tee shirt plain while crew neck style is an undergarment.  The only V-necks I have are for use with CAP service dress because it is mandated in the regulations.

I almost never wear a polo/golf shirt for any purpose (the only occasion being the one I wear for the school I work at) and I always wear it with a white crewneck tee shirt.  It serves to preserve the color and protect against deoderant stains.

By the way, there is no "dweeb factor" for wearing a crew neck...unless some of you want to take it up with the NAVY and MARINES.  Please think before you post.

Go ahead...tell a Marine he's a dweeb.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spike

I do not understand why people wear an undershirt with the polo shirt.

The Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

Let me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

Two cotton shirts make me perspire more....

If you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

As for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!  We have so much more to be concerned with than if your white undershirt shows under the CAP Polo.  Unless the 39-1 specifically says "Wear a V-Neck with the CAP Polo blah blah blah.....then be concerned.

LETS not invent more ways for the Uniform Nazis to trash others.   

OK

DG

This sounds like a bunch of women.

Discussing fashion.

You guys got nothing else to work on?

Give me a call.  I'll give you some serious issues to work on, for the corporation.

Spike

Quote from: DG on June 06, 2009, 08:24:27 PM

Discussing fashion.

Give me a call.  I'll give you some serious issues to work on, for the corporation.

Excuse me.  There is nothing wrong with discussing fashion.  Many MEN have successful careers in that industry.....not to mention I like to dress well.  Maybe you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt everyday.....that does not mean others do the same.

Please apologize to all the women on this board as well.  That was a shot at them too.

How simple minded you are sir.

I agree this thread is trivial.....but don't ridicule those that are taking part.

Shame on you.

Flying Pig

I think its more of a location thing.  Where I am, most men I see always have t-shirts under their polo shirts if they are wearing them.  The majority of CAPers I see are wearing either balck or white crew necks under their polo shirts.  I personally think the white looks sharp.  So does the black.  Who cares.

Gunner C

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on May 29, 2009, 04:01:48 PM
I wear a white undergarment for religious reasons and always wear a crew neck style with both my polo and my flight suit.
I do, too.  In NC, it was difficult to get the "V" neck variety - I bought all of mine while still in the Army and the crew neck was the required type.  I explained to the CAP folks that it was a religious requirement and they understood.

QuoteAs for the flight suit, if I had to wear a black shirt under it, I would be 3 layers at that point (incidently what happens with my BDU's which are not worn much ;) ), and in Utah in the desert, uncomfortable.
Have you tried to get the brown variety from the distribution center?  I showed my CAP membership card and they didn't have a problem with it.  That way I don't have to wear three layers in BDUs.

SarDragon

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PM

The Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

Let me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

Two cotton shirts make me perspire more....

If you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

As for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!  We have so much more to be concerned with than if your white undershirt shows under the CAP Polo.  Unless the 39-1 specifically says "Wear a V-Neck with the CAP Polo blah blah blah.....then be concerned.

LETS not invent more ways for the Uniform Nazis to trash others.   

OK

See my post on page 1. Also, I don't worry about deodorent stains cuz i don't generally use (but you would never know if I hadn't told you).

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
Quote from: DG on June 06, 2009, 08:24:27 PM

Discussing fashion.

Excuse me.  There is nothing wrong with discussing fashion.  Many MEN have successful careers in that industry.....not to mention I like to dress well.  Maybe you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt everyday.....that does not mean others do the same.

Please apologize to all the women on this board as well.  That was a shot at them too.

How simple minded you are sir.

I agree this thread is trivial.....but don't ridicule those that are taking part.

Shame on you.

I concur, lets try not to demean the sexes here by making such generalizations.  Especially when, this occasion, the generalization seems to be FALSE.

It should be, and has, been pointed out that the UNIFORM threads of these forums overflow what is considered natural convention for posting topics.  I would say that there are LOTS of MEN discussing CAP fashion to the Nth degree on all these forums.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Hawk200

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PM

Do you wear briefs? To many people, it's the same thing. The wear of undergarments in general is less than comon anymore.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMThe Polo shirt is casual.....to be worn casually......unlike a dress shirt.

How is it "not casual? to wear an undershirt. It's not a fashion statement to wear an undershirt, it's a matter of personal comfort.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMLet me ask....those that wear a polo with an undershirt....do you also wear an undershirt with your golf polo when out on the links??

To many here, that's not even a relevant question. A polo shirt is not restricted to a golf course, anymore than "tennis shoes" are restricted to a court.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMIf you are afraid of deodorant stains.......buy natural deodorant (it is better for you anyway!!!!!!)

Personally, I'm not worried about deodorant stains so much as sweat stains. It does reduce the appearance of them for me. It might not for others, but that's not a concern to me.

Quote from: Spike on June 06, 2009, 08:20:05 PMAs for an answer to the original posters question.......Who CARES!

That's pretty much the question, although your own questions indicate that you do care. Why bother to feign disinterest when it apparently matters to you? It's not hurting you at all either way, and it's doesn't present a sloppy appearance, just one that many people are not used to.

Spike

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 07, 2009, 07:12:42 PM
Do you wear briefs? To many people, it's the same thing. The wear of undergarments in general is less than comon anymore.

Boxers 

I think the majority still wear undergarments. 

Pumbaa

Boxer Briefs for me....

My wear of a t-shirt is to protect the overshirt, in this case the polo from body sweat and stains.  This ensures that the garment has longer life.  You do not have to wash it as much. 

This is the original reason under clothes were invented, that and modesty.

stkgc

hi i join 2 months ago im wearing the polo shirt and greay pants im kind of heavy what other uniforms can i wear ? like to know if i can wear my polo shirts and bdu pants ? thanks shawn

Spike

^ Hi I join many years ago I wear polo sometimes you wear polo too you wear white shirt blue pants now too you not allow to wear polo with bdu pant it not allowed.  spike

>:D

Eclipse

I just left an activity with a member wearing this exact thing - it looked sharp "retro" and I would never make an issue of it because there is no comment on it in the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: Spike on June 08, 2009, 01:35:11 AM
^ Hi I join many years ago I wear polo sometimes you wear polo too you wear white shirt blue pants now too you not allow to wear polo with bdu pant it not allowed.  spike

>:D

^You are evil Spike. This made me LOL so hard, soda shot out of my nose!

On-topic: I don't see a problem with someone wearing a crew neck t-shirt under their polo. Some people (like me) can sweat a flood doing the most minor of tasks. The undershirt soaks up the sweat, which keeps that person looking professional...well at least somewhat professional.

As far as the v-neck vs. crew neck debate, it doesn't matter until NHQ says something official stating one or the other or both. Both of them look professional and the crew neck covers the disgusting chest carpets...I mean chest hairs that so many of our members sport.

I think NHQ should standardize the color of undershirts for the polo too (especially if the undershirt is visible). I've seen black, white, many shades of blue, brown/tan, orange (yes orange), and <sarcasm>my personal favorite flannel!</sarcasm> From what I have seen, black, white, and navy blue look the most professional.

SarDragon

IMHO, BDU trousers don't fit the definition given in CAPM 39-1.

QuoteFigure 4-3
4. CAP knit shirts are worn with gray trousers or slacks (see Table 4-4).

QuoteTable 4-4. Men's and Women's Golf Shirt/Summer Uniform

L
I
N
E

Item

Wear Instructions/Materials
1Slacks/TrousersCommercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

YMMV.

We now return you to t-shirts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SilverEagle2

QuoteHave you tried to get the brown variety from the distribution center?  I showed my CAP membership card and they didn't have a problem with it.  That way I don't have to wear three layers in BDUs

Haven't since rejoining, but will soon. Incidently, as flight crew, I am mostly in the green bag anyway. Thanks for the remider though.

For those that don't wear undershirts.....ew!  >:D
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 08, 2009, 03:52:09 AM
IMHO, BDU trousers don't fit the definition given in CAPM 39-1.

QuoteFigure 4-3
4. CAP knit shirts are worn with gray trousers or slacks (see Table 4-4).

QuoteTable 4-4. Men's and Women's Golf Shirt/Summer Uniform

LINE
Item

Wear Instructions/Materials
1Slacks/TrousersCommercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

YMMV.

We now return you to t-shirts.

We had this discussion here before - BDU pants, per se, don't , but there are more than plenty of tactical pants which do meet the spec.

"That Others May Zoom"

es_g0d

I'm a huge fan of EMT pants with the blue shirt combination.  They're not the easiest to find in gray, but it can be done.  5.11 makes a nice tactical pair of pants at a reasonable price in gray, with a choice of cotton (ok for fire, poor for survival) or nylon (horrible for fire, ok for survival).  I can only continue to dream for barrier wear to make their pants in kevlar.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Always Ready on June 08, 2009, 03:49:18 AM

As far as the v-neck vs. crew neck debate, it doesn't matter until NHQ says something official stating one or the other or both. Both of them look professional and the crew neck covers the disgusting chest carpets...I mean chest hairs that so many of our members sport.

What the heck?  Several posters have made comments about chest hair being disgusting, nasty, or unclean. Some of us have it, some of us don't.  Grow up!  What next?  Make us shave our arm hair?  Men, get ready to start shaving your legs too!  Jeez!  Get with the CAP program, we even have special uniforms for people sporting facial hair (among other things).

Bottom line, the Air Force and CAP ban crew necks in some uniforms.  Until that changes you'll see some chest hair.  Deal with it.  In the mean time chill out on your derogatory comments or go somewhere else where it's accepted to make such comments about individual traits like hair, weight, and maybe even skin color.   >:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 08, 2009, 11:12:23 AM

What the heck?  Several posters have made comments about chest hair being disgusting, nasty, or unclean. Some of us have it, some of us don't.  Grow up!  What next?  Make us shave our arm hair?  Men, get ready to start shaving your legs too!  Jeez!  Get with the CAP program, we even have special uniforms for people sporting facial hair (among other things).

Bottom line, the Air Force and CAP ban crew necks in some uniforms.  Until that changes you'll see some chest hair.  Deal with it.  In the mean time chill out on your derogatory comments or go somewhere else where it's accepted to make such comments about individual traits like hair, weight, and maybe even skin color.   >:D

Ditto - let's remember that the legend of the v-neck t-shirts is that Gen. McPeak's wife thought it looked unmanly to not show chest hair.

"That Others May Zoom"

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: Pumbaa on May 29, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
(I'm asking honestly.)

Modesty for one...  I will not go out without a t-shirt under under a shirt either.  Many cotton shirts are somewhat see-through. 

Also, the purpose of under garments is to protect the shirts from stains from sweating etc.   Don't you love the guy (or gal) that lifts their arms and the sweat is pouring through or you see the yellow stains?  ugh...

This enables easier cleaning as well as letting you to wear the shirt more often with less washing.  ie I can wear a shirt twice before washing vs once without an under garment.  This is actually the original purpose of undergarments as early in history washing clothing was difficult, expensive, time consuming.

Also residue from deodorants/ antiperspirant are kept from staining clothing too.

+1!

Always Ready

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 08, 2009, 11:12:23 AM

Dude...I'm one of those members who has a chest carpet. As a person who has a chest carpet, I am heavily offended by your derogatory comments towards my post! *shoots flames and puts on pink Nomex v-neck/crew neck undershirt combo to protect my beloved chest hairs* :D  The last time I checked, I can make fun of myself without fear of retribution. But I appreciate that there are people out there looking out for guys like us. :)

I realize that sarcasm doesn't show well on the internet, but I said
Quote from: Always Ready on June 08, 2009, 03:49:18 AMAs far as the v-neck vs. crew neck debate, it doesn't matter until NHQ says something official stating one or the other or both. Both of them look professional and the crew neck covers the disgusting chest carpets...I mean chest hairs that so many of our members sport.
Emphasis mine. I didn't say that we should only have crew neck undershirts to cover-up hairs. I said that both styles look professional.

Stupid flame wars...I hate posting on here because of them. This place makes the emo terrorist forum I post on look sane >:D (btw-I'm kidding!)

RiverAux

I suppose I've seen this done before in CAP, but I guess I never gave it much thought.  I don't think it would be all that practical to require blue shirts in order to "match" since you would never find exactly the right color to match the shirt, so they would always be a bit off. 

But, I suppose that it would probably be better to follow the same t-shirt policy for all uniforms so as to keep things simple as possible.  that being the case, I would recommend going to crew neck for everything. 

Rotorhead

Quote from: RiverAux on June 08, 2009, 09:13:18 PM
I suppose I've seen this done before in CAP, but I guess I never gave it much thought.  I don't think it would be all that practical to require blue shirts in order to "match" since you would never find exactly the right color to match the shirt, so they would always be a bit off. 

No one will ever find a perfect match in color, and a "little" off looks really bad.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

jimmydeanno

I'm pretty sure the rules of fashion dictate that the undershirt not match the color of the over shirt.  Finding a similar color would clash... :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 08, 2009, 09:46:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the rules of fashion dictate that the undershirt not match the color of the over shirt.  Finding a similar color would clash... :)

I dunno about that.  I think that ODUs look better with the matching blue t-shirt.  Better than white or black for the CAP Field Uniform anyway.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

from "fashion4nerds.com" :)

MEN'S POLOS

Another good casual choice. Again - most of the time, go with a layered look - just make sure your undershirt is not the same color as your overshirt. On the other hand, you don't want your undershirt to contrast too much with your overshirt - this is pretty easy to do - just avoid wearing white under a black shirt - i.e. go with gray.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

wuzafuzz

Just go with orange t-shirts under the blue polo that can clash with lime green vests.  Don't forget ultramarine name tapes on the whole mess.  Suddenly chest hair and v-neck tee shirts don't seem so bad.

BTCS1*

C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

wuzafuzz

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 09, 2009, 05:04:35 AM
LIME GREEN VEST!?!? You mean ORANGE vest! LMAO
Nope, I meant lime green vests. They are even more hideous than orange vests.  Sarcasm isn't always pretty! 

MY vest is orange, but some folks wear lime green...right or wrong.