Pre-encampment worries

Started by Daniel, May 06, 2009, 04:25:23 AM

Daniel

i frankly worry about everything when it comes to the CAP not like worried for my health but worried about letting my flight down and making myself look like a fool (I was even scared during o-flights.) This year, I'm going to encampment and am very worried about being thrown out.. how strict is this gonna be?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

whatevah

just relax and have fun, CAP encampments really aren't that hard.  They're designed for learning, not for being tough. Just bring the required items on the packing list, don't bring any contraband and do what you're told.  Just try to enjoy everything and remember that everything happening is so you can learn as much as you can in as short a period as possible.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PHall

About the only way to get thrown out of encampment is by being so insubordinate that you won't do anything you're told to do.

So I don't think you need to worry about that.

Daniel

Well i've read it said on the contraband list

**If you bring items marked with ** for
enterainment or to snack on during travel
be aware that they will be taken upon arrival

so does that mean we get it back at the end?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

C/MSgt Lunsford

Hmmm. I am a little bit nervous about encampment (Only the flight part) but I should get over that in the first 5 minutes of flight.  :)

Wright Brothers #13915

whatevah

most likely no.  any food stuffs are usually thrown away (or eaten by staff).  So if you're gonna bring them for the trip, finish them before you get there.  I don't recommend bringing an ipod or anything like that, either.  Try not to bring anything on the contraband list, you can probably do without it for the short duration of your trip. ;)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on May 06, 2009, 04:25:23 AM
i frankly worry about everything when it comes to the CAP not like worried for my health but worried about letting my flight down and making myself look like a fool (I was even scared during o-flights.) This year, I'm going to encampment and am very worried about being thrown out.. how strict is this gonna be?

As long as you come prepared, listen carefully, and follow instructions, you will be fine.

Encampments are not basic training, and there is no objective test or evaluation for getting credit.
Most wings have things like Honor Flight and Honor Cadet, of course, and these are great to strive for,
however don't get so wrapped up in those that you forget to learn and enjoy yourself.

First and foremost an encampment is supposed to reinforce skills and knowledge you already have.
The abilities you possess as a cadet performing at grade level for Curry or higher should be more than enough to get you through an encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

One last thing? how good are they at helping with disabled people..?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on May 06, 2009, 04:36:17 AM
Well i've read it said on the contraband list

**If you bring items marked with ** for
enterainment or to snack on during travel
be aware that they will be taken upon arrival

so does that mean we get it back at the end?

It depends on the encampment, however most work along the same lines.

Usually there is a list of things that would get you sent home immediately and/or worse.  Generally these are common sense like weapons, tobacco, etc.

Next there is generally a list of common items most cadets own, but are in appropriate for the encampment, cel phones, media players, etc.  Anything of real value is confiscated, marked in a bag or envelope, and then returned on your way out.  If you drove in, the encampment will require you turn in your car keys once the vehicle is parked in a secure location.

Consumables are a different story.  Some locations may not be allowed to have any food in the housing area, so they might just toss it in the trash when you get there.

Your best bet is not to bring much of anything of real value that you don't need, and limit the amount of cash in your pocket as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on May 06, 2009, 04:45:40 AM
One last thing? how good are they at helping with disabled people..?

Accommodations for the disabled depend on the location and the disability.

Most CAP people want to do their best to help everyone have a good experience, regardless of any physical limitations they may have, however there are some practical realities that may be out of their control.

Bottom line, don't hide it or play games.  Make sure you are 100% honest on the application, and it you have concerns call the Encampment Commander or his designated staffer to discuss the situation.

If you hide something or try to surprise them, it will just be uncomfortable for everyone and you may wind up wildly disappointed because of some situation outside the Commander's ability to mitigate (like housing on an upper floor in a building with no elevator, etc.).

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Funny story:  First night of my first encampment I got put in a room on the third floor of the barracks... Got moved to the first floor and put in with some cadets who were on staff once a face was put with the name. 
Mike Johnston

Daniel

kinda an older thread

but my commander said.. I would be allowed to take my cell phone to call home when we get there. Also it was normal for cadets to do this and that Id receive the phone back at the end as long as I surrendered it when we went through the checkpoint and didn't play games with them
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

MIKE

WIWAC they had us call home collect on the barracks pay phone... cell phones were not as common.
Mike Johnston

USADOD

yummy, Snack from the C/Basics just adds so much more flavor and taste. ::) Staff Rules
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Daniel

Actually

Im not a C/Basics (unless you mean going to camp as a basic then yes.. I am but i think you mean Amn Basic)

Im c/amn and hopefully soon to add a FC on to that :)!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

USADOD

Quote from: Daniel L on May 10, 2009, 05:43:51 AM
Actually

Im not a C/Basics (unless you mean going to camp as a basic then yes.. I am but i think you mean Amn Basic)

Im c/amn and hopefully soon to add a FC on to that :)!
No, I meant cadet basics not the cadet  grade "Airman Basic". If in fact this is your first encampment then you are a basic member of the encampment body and/or Cadet Corps. I'm glad to hear your motivation and dedication to the Cadet Programs, hopefully you will make 1C rather than FC. Enjoy Encampment!
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385