New USAF V-Neck pullover sweater

Started by afgeo4, April 07, 2009, 07:55:26 PM

afgeo4

Quote from: O-Rex on April 20, 2009, 12:30:28 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 20, 2009, 11:23:09 AM
Unless there's an ALCON msg on the AF portal regarding wear of the new woolly pully we don't know about.

The Navy has been using blue wolly-pullies with the leather name tag for years, I think it's a "surface warfare" distinctive-thing.

Perhaps they were sent to USAF MCSS's in error?
The Navy always did and does wear BLACK pullovers. These were AF blue.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 28, 2009, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on April 20, 2009, 12:30:28 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 20, 2009, 11:23:09 AM
Unless there's an ALCON msg on the AF portal regarding wear of the new woolly pully we don't know about.

The Navy has been using blue wolly-pullies with the leather name tag for years, I think it's a "surface warfare" distinctive-thing.

Perhaps they were sent to USAF MCSS's in error?
The Navy always did and does wear BLACK pullovers. These were AF blue.

Slightly OT.

Always, George? That's a really long time. The uniform item described above came out in the '90s, and the prescribed color is black. It is significantly different from the older all wool sweater I wore WIWOAD. (And my dad before me.)

The older item isn't black, it is Navy blue, a really dark Navy blue, and still a sea bag item.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Could this sweater be a Coast Guard uniform item?

The Coasties wear the Air Force Service and Service Dress Uniforms with Coast Guard Insignia.

MIKE

Quote from: PHall on April 29, 2009, 12:58:55 AM
The Coasties wear the Air Force Service and Service Dress Uniforms with Coast Guard Insignia.

Not quite.

Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Why would they do that when, during war time, they are Navy Department? I have never seen a coastie in anything but a Navy uniform with Coast Guard insignia.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

O-Rex

Quote from: davidsinn on April 29, 2009, 10:15:30 AM

Why would they do that when, during war time, they are Navy Department? I have never seen a coastie in anything but a Navy uniform with Coast Guard insignia.

That was true until about the 1970's

The only service or dress uniform that the Coast Guard and Navy currently share is the officer's full dress whites, which CG officers rarely wear.

JayT

Quote from: davidsinn on April 29, 2009, 10:15:30 AM

According to wiki, and my own eyes.......

QuoteIn 1972, the current Coast Guard dress blue uniform was introduced for wear by both officers and enlisted personnel; the transition was completed during 1974. Relatively similar in appearance to the old-style U.S. Air Force uniforms, the uniform consists of a blue four-pocket single breasted jacket and trousers in a slightly darker shade. A light-blue button-up shirt with a pointed collar, two front button-flap pockets, "enhanced" shoulder boards for officers, and pin-on collar insignia for Chief Petty Officers and enlisted personnel is worn when in shirt-sleeve order (known as "Tropical Blue").
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

davidsinn

Wow. I feel dumb now :-\ I could have sworn I saw a Lt Cmdr in Navy dress blues but USCG insignia last year. Of course it was in passing and he could have been Navy.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: davidsinn on April 29, 2009, 01:31:47 PM
Wow. I feel dumb now :-\ I could have sworn I saw a Lt Cmdr in Navy dress blues but USCG insignia last year. Of course it was in passing and he could have been Navy.

Dress blues but non-Navy insignia could have been a USPHS commissioned officer.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

O-Rex

Quote from: Pylon on April 29, 2009, 01:35:36 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on April 29, 2009, 01:31:47 PM

Dress blues but non-Navy insignia could have been a USPHS commissioned officer.

There are also non-line naval officers (Doctor's Lawyers and about a dozen other positions) who have distinctive insignia in lieu of the standard star that you see on shoulder boards or sleeve braid.

Spike

Can anyone who has seen this item actually snap a picture and post it here.  I asked my AAFES clerk, and she knew nothing about it. 

PHall

Quote from: Spike on April 29, 2009, 08:48:37 PM
Can anyone who has seen this item actually snap a picture and post it here.  I asked my AAFES clerk, and she knew nothing about it.

Over the past month I have asked the folks at three MCSS's about this "new" sweater and all said they hadn't heard a thing.

The MCSS's were at March ARB, Los Angeles AFB and Edwards AFB, all in California.

afgeo4

Next time I'm at McGuire I'll take a picture and post it here.
GEORGE LURYE

Spike

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 01, 2009, 01:52:34 AM
Next time I'm at McGuire I'll take a picture and post it here.

Or even better, take a picture of an Air Force member wearing said sweater.

Spike

Quote from: PHall on May 01, 2009, 03:17:28 AM
Or even better, take a picture of an Air Force member wearing said sweater.

"Hey Airman, can I take a picture of you on my cellphone"?   Might come off the wrong way.....

Cecil DP

Saw them yesterday at the MacDill Uniform store. Very few in stock.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

afgeo4

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 01, 2009, 01:16:37 PM
Very few left at MacDill? I didn't know that Florida and CENTCOM were so hard up for sweaters.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 02, 2009, 06:09:33 PM
Very few left at MacDill? I didn't know that Florida and CENTCOM were so hard up for sweaters.

It does get chilly down there every so often. When I lived in the Jacksonville area, I was frequently treated to crunchy grass in the morning when I left for work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 02, 2009, 06:09:33 PM

It could also be that when new items come out they're in limited supply, so a limited distribution to every MCSS would be in order.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85