Combat Control Orientation Course (CCOC)

Started by RogueLeader, March 21, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

RogueLeader

CCOC website has been updated to contain all the new information as well as empalining more about what has to happen to be able to attend Selection and the course.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

How did I know that Dave Siemiet was involved? :) Give the good Maj a dope-slap on the back of the head for me, if you think you can get away with it. (He was deployed in 2006 when I was at Bragg so we never got a chance to connect while I was there)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

maverik

Quote from: Senior on April 02, 2009, 02:55:32 PM
The challenge coin idea is an awesome idea.  I would love to see  the look on  PA Ranger's face when the CCOC coin hit the table.   >:D ;D

Let me know if a cadet on here gets a coin because I want him to specifically find a ranger (won't be hard just look for the guy with the bling) take a camcorder and let me see his face when that coin hits I would pay to see that.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

fyrfitrmedic

Why not just merge this thread with the "PAWG Commander terminated" thread and do all the PAWG-bashing in one place?  :P
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

DC

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on April 03, 2009, 03:55:08 AM
Why not just merge this thread with the "PAWG Commander terminated" thread and do all the PAWG-bashing in one place?  :P
:clap: Yeah, seriously, enough is enough. I seem to remember this thread being about some 'Combat Control Orientation Course', or something like that, not a Ranger bash-a-thon.

RogueLeader

^ Thank you.  While I may (or not) have a problem with the whole ranger issue.  this is not the time or place to do so.

I noticed that there are a couple of links that do not work at this time, and they are currently being addressed.  More to follow.

That is all.

(for now) ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

The course is really starting to gel.  we definately get to got to a couple of wind tunnels.  One at the 82nd AirborneAdvanced School.  The other is on Raeford Road, wich is a 16' Wind tunnel.  I won't give away how much time a student gets in there, but it is well over 5 min apeice.  Cadets should be prepared to fire weapons.  Not promising anything about that, but if it all comes together. . . . . ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 02, 2009, 01:38:15 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on April 02, 2009, 01:06:04 AM
I didnt ask why didint I see it on the NCSA website. I asked why I havent seen in on the NAtional website as an official activity sanctioned by Civil Air Patrol

For the simple reason that NHQ does not have to approve the activity.  The same way they do not have to approve your local practice SAR activities.  This is a Squadron run activity, that was blessed off by the NCWG CC.  We, at Fayetteville Composite Squadron, think that this is a great oppertunity, and that we are willing to take the top twenty Cadets that met all the criteria.  As this grows, if everything works out, and this DOES become a NCSA, it will have Nat. HQ approval, and paper selections.  AS IT STANDS, this is a NC007 activity that we are running to give it the best chance of making it a superb activity that the AF will continue to fund.

The AFSOC is very interested in this and they are giving us a big chunk of change to make this happen.  Without that support, it would not be able to run, as the costs of the school would be too much for the cadets to pay.

well, thats the key then. its a local activity. Thats not how you sold it at first. Iwas asking because I thought it may be something I could send my cadets too, but if its local, then I probably could not. its all good. Sounds like a good acitivty. Hope it goes off well.

RogueLeader

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 11, 2009, 02:11:43 PM
well, thats the key then. its a local activity. Thats not how you sold it at first. Iwas asking because I thought it may be something I could send my cadets too, but if its local, then I probably could not. its all good. Sounds like a good acitivty. Hope it goes off well.

No, you still do not get it.  while it is being hosted by NC 007, any cadet may attend.  If an Alaskan Cadet wanted to attend, and met passed Selection, we would be more than happy to have that Cadet.

Never once did I say that this was a NSCA, while I did post it in the wrong section, that did not change any of the information of who is eligible.

To make it absolutely clear:
Any Cadet that is 15, C/SSG+, Attended Encampment, and is phys Cat I is eligible to apply.
Any Senior that is a TFO/1st LT or higher is eligible to attend.

All applicants must attend selection at Burlington NC on 6 June 2009.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2009, 04:17:35 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on April 11, 2009, 02:11:43 PM

No, you still do not get it.  while it is being hosted by NC 007, any cadet may attend.  If an Alaskan Cadet wanted to attend, and met passed Selection, we would be more than happy to have that Cadet.

Never once did I say that this was a NSCA, while I did post it in the wrong section, that did not change any of the information of who is eligible.

To make it absolutely clear:
Any Cadet that is 15, C/SSG+, Attended Encampment, and is phys Cat I is eligible to apply.
Any Senior that is a TFO/1st LT or higher is eligible to attend.

All applicants must attend selection at Burlington NC on 6 June 2009.

Having to make two trips to North Carolina does pretty much make this a "local activity".

I still don't understand why you don't use the same procedure used at PJOC.
You take the PT test when you arrive, if you don't pass, you go home, right now...

But hey, it's your activity. Do what you think is best and good luck!

RogueLeader

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 22, 2009, 03:23:54 AM
I definately understand what you are saying.  I will certainly pass along your coments.  If it should come to pass that it is a full NCSA, we might go that route.  Right now, we are in the crawl stage.  That s why we are doing things pretty rigid in selection.  Provided we get a posative outcome, we will expand to allow for more Cadets. 

One of the reasons that we are being so strict with the PT tests and such is to be sure that we can do all that we can to ensure the highest percentage of graduates that pass the PAST test.  The AF is taking a very close look at this.  We want to be able to offer it to all of CAP.

As far as I know, if all goes well, the face to face selection will be going away to something similar to PJOC.  We all want it to get to that point.  There are also things that are going on that haven't been figured out yet.  Check the website as we will be adding more information as it developes.
Again.

Here's a cross post from CS:

Quote from: Rogueleader
This is posted on behalf of Maj David Siemiet
I appreciate all of the lively discussion on this topic, it has made for a very interesting read. To answer with finality about the Cat I restrictions for CCOC:
- This is a very physically intensive course, and many of the events we will be doing cannot tolerate any physical limitation. This is from a safety stand point.
- The Combat Control School is our sponsor; which also puts some liability on them as well. Having pre-screened, hand selected, Cat I students reduces the risk of injury given some of the highly demanding activities we have planned.
- Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) Recruiting, as well as the 720th Special Tactics Group are putting significant resources (and money) into this program. For the first few years; we need to take extra steps to ensure we only accept applicants that not only meet the highest standards set forth by CAP, but also are at a very low risk of dropping out for physical reasons. Putting our best foot forward will ensure future support.
- Finally, I am personally resonsible for the student's safety and well being at this course. We are going to be pushing the students to the utmost of their limits (and they're going to love it) and Cat I restriction is one way that helps me reduce the risks involved. This is not just me the CAP Officer, but me the Air Force NCO (who works in and is respopnsible to Special Tactics) that is running this activity. I am using both sides of my perona to make this a reality; so I am using every tool available to me to mitigate risks while ensuring we get to accomplish all of our objectives.

To answer the question on the final PT standards, each student will take the Air Force Combat Control "PAST" Test prior to graduation. You can look up those standards at www.specialtactics.com

As for this being a National Special Activity...Let's take this one step at a time. That is my goal, but there are many intermediate steps before we take that leap and pitch it to national. I want to take a few years and refine this product before we go to the big-time. I'm a perfectionist and I want to set this up for success.

If you have any questions for me directly, you can contact me via the contact info on the CCOC website http://www.capnc007.org/ccoc/usafccoc.html

Thanks
Maj David Siemiet, CAP
CCOC Course Director
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

I'll have the CD stop by and put a word in if it would help, or you can contact him directly.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

In response to a cadet who is very interested in attending this course, we are willing to allow for remote application.  This application will consist of the following:

- Remote Applicant Assessment (must be approved before-hand by CCOC Staff)]

- Send via DATA DVD NLT 4 June 2009 (send care of: Maj DavidSiemiet, 112 Holly Oak Cir, Bunnlevel, NC 28308)

- Contain video of each portion of the PT Test in its entirety (allvideo must be viewable w/Windows Media Player)

- Contain pictures (full body, front and back) of applicant in BDUuniform (JPEG Format) - to evaluate uniform

- Contain 1-Page resume (education, CAP experience, Job experience,Extra-curricular activities, Sports, etc)

- All application documents digitized

- Video answering the following questions (no more than 2 minuteanswers each)(video should be of applicant seated with whole body showing toevaluate body language and posture):

1. Why do you think you should be chosen to be a student at CCOC?

2. Why did you join CAP?3. What are your goals in CAP and beyond?

- Applicant will be contacted before 6 June in order to schedule aphone interview.

The Cadet applicant will answer the video questions in a board of review manner.  This must include:  Reporting to the President of the Board, marching movements from entering the room, LEFT, RIGHT, and ABOUT FACE. 

The Remote Application process must be preapproved by CCOC Staff.  Any applicant that is denied approval to apply by remote MUST attend CCOC Selection in Burlington NC on 6 June 2009.  The Course Director is the final authority on whom may be allowed to apply by remote.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Not one bit.  For those who do get to apply by remote, there's a C/Capt from TXWG that made a suggestion, and we happened to find a way that works for us.  Please note that not all applications to apply by remote will be approved.  It is on a Case-by Case basis.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ned

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2009, 08:07:40 PM- Applicant will be contacted before 6 June in order to schedule a phone interview.

The Cadet applicant will answer the questions in a board of review manner.  This must include:  Reporting to the President of the Board, marching movements from entering the room, LEFT, RIGHT, and ABOUT FACE. 

That's the funny part, I think.

I should think it would be fairly hard to evaluate via telephone.

And even if it was intended to apply to the video part, it could be a little tricky.

Perhaps after the staff is selected, the activity could share with us how they objectively evaluated "body language and posture."  Such an evaluation scheme could be very helpful to other activities with geographically-disadvantaged applicants.

RogueLeader

I edited the text as those are the questions to be answered on the Video.  That is so the staff can see body language as well as military bearing.  We will be asking other questions during the interview.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Well... I have one cadet who's going to be applying from here, in New York City. He's going to use his hard-earned money to go to NC and try out. He's on the Lacrosse, Swimming and Diving team at his High School. He's also a certified NYC Lifeguard (NYC Dept of Parks & Recreation). A C/TSgt and he's interested in TCC as a career choice (he's 16 and a HS Junior). He's a good distance runner and has solid upper body strength. He's also on the HS robotics team and attends one of the most advanced public schools in NYC.

All this proves one thing. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.
GEORGE LURYE

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2009, 08:07:40 PM
In response to a cadet who is very interested in attending this course, we are willing to allow for remote application.  This application will consist of the following:

- Remote Applicant Assessment (must be approved before-hand by CCOC Staff)]

- Send via DATA DVD NLT 4 June 2009 (send care of: Maj DavidSiemiet, 112 Holly Oak Cir, Bunnlevel, NC 28308)

- Contain video of each portion of the PT Test in its entirety (allvideo must be viewable w/Windows Media Player)

- Contain pictures (full body, front and back) of applicant in BDUuniform (JPEG Format) - to evaluate uniform

- Contain 1-Page resume (education, CAP experience, Job experience,Extra-curricular activities, Sports, etc)

- All application documents digitized

- Video answering the following questions (no more than 2 minuteanswers each)(video should be of applicant seated with whole body showing toevaluate body language and posture):

1. Why do you think you should be chosen to be a student at CCOC?

2. Why did you join CAP?3. What are your goals in CAP and beyond?

- Applicant will be contacted before 6 June in order to schedule aphone interview.

The Cadet applicant will answer the video questions in a board of review manner.  This must include:  Reporting to the President of the Board, marching movements from entering the room, LEFT, RIGHT, and ABOUT FACE. 

The Remote Application process must be preapproved by CCOC Staff.  Any applicant that is denied approval to apply by remote MUST attend CCOC Selection in Burlington NC on 6 June 2009.  The Course Director is the final authority on whom may be allowed to apply by remote.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 17, 2009, 08:14:36 PM
Are you joking? ^

Even I have to admit, this is a bit much.....

Gunner C

I think it's a great idea.  Quality control at an activity like this is paramount.  You don't need anyone who is

• Out of shape
  • Doesn't represent CAP well to the AFSOC

Why?

• Someone who can't handle the physical side of the course is a danger to himself and others
  • We won't get another chance to get another chance to make a first impression

Way to go RL!  Great way to attack a problem with available technology.