Combat Control Orientation Course (CCOC)

Started by RogueLeader, March 21, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

RogueLeader

There might be a couple of other surprises that I will not release, not until the course that is.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

Quote from: PA Guy on March 23, 2009, 05:35:21 PM
How about a nice plaque with the Combat Control crest?

Someone, somewhere, somehow, will attempt to attach said plaque to their uniform. >:D
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PA Guy

;D  I can see it now.  " But sir, at CCOC they said..............."

DBlair

I presented it to my Cadets tonight and the response was very good- including cheering and overall excitement. The Squadron Commander mentioned that he'll run it past the Wing Commander to get approval for our Cadets to attend, but the Cadets were quite interested- too bad there are so few slots this year.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

NIN

You know, it occurs to me: WIWAC, this would have been one hell of a carrot to dangle in front of me.  :)

I never went to any NCSAs (back then, almost universally, you had to have your Mitchell before you went to most, if not all, the NCSAs), but something like this would have tickled my funny bone.

So keeping that in mind, instead of trying to whammer-jammer a number of cadets from your unit, why not just commit to getting ONE cadet to CCOC?  Say "Hey, you know what, the most outstanding one of you will go to this most outstanding activity.  Want to go to a high-speed event? Prove that you're high-speed enough and we'll send you!"

Sending one cadet is easy. Sending 3 or more is not.  So work it out, see if you can get one cadet up to NC for selection, etc...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DBlair

Quote from: NIN on March 25, 2009, 03:37:41 AM
You know, it occurs to me: WIWAC, this would have been one hell of a carrot to dangle in front of me.  :)

I never went to any NCSAs (back then, almost universally, you had to have your Mitchell before you went to most, if not all, the NCSAs), but something like this would have tickled my funny bone.

So keeping that in mind, instead of trying to whammer-jammer a number of cadets from your unit, why not just commit to getting ONE cadet to CCOC?  Say "Hey, you know what, the most outstanding one of you will go to this most outstanding activity.  Want to go to a high-speed event? Prove that you're high-speed enough and we'll send you!"

Sending one cadet is easy. Sending 3 or more is not.  So work it out, see if you can get one cadet up to NC for selection, etc...

Good idea.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RogueLeader

One thing that I, unforetunately, forgote to mention is that  the cadet must have completed an encampent.  I was going through the requirements, as I was putting an information packet together; it was when I re-read my post that I noticed that the information was missing.
Sorry about that.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

caplegalnc

Quote from: NIN on March 22, 2009, 03:01:20 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on March 22, 2009, 02:53:00 PM
I'll make sure I get pics from the ground.  No way am I getting up on that tower.

You know, I read a thing where they picked 34 feet as the height of the exit trainer specifically because it was the height where people would balk.  Apparently at 33 feet, your brain says "I might survive this.." but at 34 feet, you have to force yourself? :)

I'm afraid of heights (which is why I jump out of planes, rappel, etc, of course!)

Actually, it just the was the height of the telephone poles the original exit training towers were built with at Fort Benning.

Chief Justice
NC-019

NIN

Quote from: caplegalnc on March 26, 2009, 08:13:13 PMActually, it just the was the height of the telephone poles the original exit training towers were built with at Fort Benning.

That answer makes more sense. ;)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

RogueLeader

I'vwe already began to get queries from all over the Eastern US.  The entire staff is getting psyched at the way that this going.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

Why havent I seen this activity on the National website?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

flyguy06

I didnt ask why didint I see it on the NCSA website. I asked why I havent seen in on the NAtional website as an official activity sanctioned by Civil Air Patrol

DC

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 02, 2009, 01:06:04 AM
I didnt ask why didint I see it on the NCSA website. I asked why I havent seen in on the NAtional website as an official activity sanctioned by Civil Air Patrol
When did the national website start listing every activity conducted across the nation??? I must have missed the memo...

RogueLeader

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 02, 2009, 01:06:04 AM

For the simple reason that NHQ does not have to approve the activity.  The same way they do not have to approve your local practice SAR activities.  This is a Squadron run activity, that was blessed off by the NCWG CC.  We, at Fayetteville Composite Squadron, think that this is a great oppertunity, and that we are willing to take the top twenty Cadets that met all the criteria.  As this grows, if everything works out, and this DOES become a NCSA, it will have Nat. HQ approval, and paper selections.  AS IT STANDS, this is a NC007 activity that we are running to give it the best chance of making it a superb activity that the AF will continue to fund.

The AFSOC is very interested in this and they are giving us a big chunk of change to make this happen.  Without that support, it would not be able to run, as the costs of the school would be too much for the cadets to pay.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

maverik

I have a good idea. As a cadet if I scored the highest on the PAST I would like nothing more than a nice CC challenge coin or a custom CCOC coin to slap down in front of a cadet who has one say from hawk mountain. ;D :D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

SaBeR33

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 02, 2009, 02:20:12 AM
I have a good idea. As a cadet if I scored the highest on the PAST I would like nothing more than a nice CC challenge coin or a custom CCOC coin to slap down in front of a cadet who has one say from hawk mountain. ;D :D

Now that would be really sweet!  ;D I can see the challenge now. "Ohhhh, so you've been to Hawk Mountain, huh?"

maverik

Exactly But maybe make a PAST challenge coin a bit different then a regular CCOC coin if youwanted to congradulate all 20 cadets that were (correct english?) selected.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

arajca

On coins, make the one fo rall cadets bronze and the top cadet gold. Keeps visiual distinction and helps keep costs down.

Senior

The challenge coin idea is an awesome idea.  I would love to see  the look on  PA Ranger's face when the CCOC coin hit the table.   >:D ;D