Main Menu

Undercover lawyers

Started by RiverAux, February 26, 2009, 03:56:44 AM

RiverAux

Quote from: D2SK on February 26, 2009, 10:11:18 PM
You seem very passionate about a lot of CAP regulations.  My suggestion would be to re-write the regulations you do not like and send them through the chain of command. 
I guess I was out of line.  Its not like CAP NHQ posted this draft regulation on the web so members could comment.  Oh, thats right...they did 

Flying Pig

Youd be a complete geek if you wore your CAP uniform to court.  Coming from someone who spends a lot of time in one. 

Short Field

The first thing you want by your side at a court-martial is a lawyer in a pinstriped suit.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on February 26, 2009, 03:56:44 AM
A proposed regulation for CAP legal officers is available here: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R111_001_draft_F128ECEC6CCCA.pdf

I find this provision somewhat troubling (emphasis mine):
Quote8. Uniforms and Insignia:
a. Legal officers are not required to wear a uniform unless required by a specific activity.  When the uniform is worn, it will be worn as prescribed by CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual. Any CAP uniform, including the CAP blazer combination or appropriate civilian attire, may be worn.

Can anyone come up with a reasonable justification for this special exception allowing legal officers to not wear uniforms?  Just how far does this go?  Does this except them from the requirement to wear a uniform around cadets?  Since I assume this would exempt them from wearing a uniform to regular meetings, I suppose it does. 

Are doctors going to be exempted now? 

So what is the problem here and why do you even care?

Does it effect you personally?

You seem to have problems with many CAP Regulations.

Maybe you need to find another organization to participate in because all of this stress you seem to have about CAP Regulations can't be good for you.

RiverAux

QuoteMaybe you need to find another organization to participate in because all of this stress you seem to have about CAP Regulations can't be good for you.
I appreciate your concern.

Gunner C

Don't forget that our former national commander was a lawyer.  I don't think he ever bought a mess dress until he became a brig gen (saw him at a wing banquet in his home state in a tuxedo).  I think he might have had some input into this.

dhon27

Quote from: Gunner C on February 27, 2009, 08:11:48 AM
Don't forget that our former national commander was a lawyer.  I don't think he ever bought a mess dress until he became a brig gen (saw him at a wing banquet in his home state in a tuxedo).  I think he might have had some input into this.

Well, the provision that people are taking issue with has been in the regulation since November 1993.  As such, it's not something new and apparently noone has seen it as a significant issue in over 15 years.

RiverAux

If you're talking about TP, he was a police officer if I recall. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on February 27, 2009, 07:26:02 PM
*BUZZ*
Try again. Think "safety pledge," I believe.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Flying Pig

He is a retired Special Agent with the Florida Dept. of Justice.

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 28, 2009, 04:34:39 AM

He is a retired Special Agent with the Florida Dept. of Justice.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement, but you're close enough. ;)

Gunner C

Nope, his predecessor.  (Crap, I can't remember his name - he was national legal officer before CC).  He got removed from office for a "quiet scandal" (resigned to spend more time on his law practice - that was the official reason; actual reason was a personnel matter at NHQ).

DG

Gen Dwight Wheeless

Manteo NC

A premier lawyer.

MikeD

No next up are engineers, who can wear whatever they want, and get free beer after every meeting/event.  Good beer even.   :P

RogueLeader

Quote from: MikeD on March 02, 2009, 01:38:12 AM
No next up are engineers, who can wear whatever they want, and get free beer after every meeting/event.  Good beer even.   :P
Does being an army Engineer count? or only CAP Engineers?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Quote from: MikeD on March 02, 2009, 01:38:12 AM

Semi seriously, a doctor or an engineer will rarely, if ever, be preforming his/her professional duty for CAP.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."