Main Menu

New NCSAs?

Started by RiverAux, February 19, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Ned

Quote from: DBlair on March 21, 2009, 10:54:21 PM
Also, I think many of the ideas listed in the original post above would make great NCSAs- I'm kind of surprised these things haven't been thought of before.

Daniel,

National is never short of great ideas for NCSAs.  As you point out, this could be a good one.  But what they are short of is dedicated CP leaders who can take a great idea like this and put together an activity.  And after a couple of successful iterations as a wing or regional activity, offering to make it an NCSA.

As I see it, the problem is a shortage of dedicated CP officers to undertake the task.  It is a lot of work putting a new activity together, and nearly every CP officer I know is already overtasked with squadron and wing activities.

Now if we could just figure out a way to retain more former cadets as senior member CP officers . . .

RADIOMAN015

Actually it's been reported that the "CAP road show" briefing at the MA Wing annual conference, that there will be an AF Red Horse Squadron (Tyndall AFB FL) cadet special activity, and this will cover fire protection & emergency repairs to runways, etc.
See:  http://www.afcesa.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-090227-119.pdf

RM 

DC

Quote from: olefido on March 22, 2009, 01:57:57 AM
ATC Orientation Course is now the AETC Familiarization Course. Of course, they used to give the top cadet an O-ride in a T-33, T-37,or T-38. I would like to see the return of the Air Force Academy Survival Course as I have said in a similar thread.
I think they were talking about something related to Air Traffic Control, not the Air Training Command. And it is no longer called AETCFC, it is now Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training Fam Course, SUPTFC. It changed a couple years ago... Now the top few cadets get rides in a T-1...

ol'fido

I stand corrected, sir.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CadetProgramGuy

How about AF Careers, such as working on an Active NG Base or AFB?

DBlair

Quote from: Ned on March 22, 2009, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: DBlair on March 21, 2009, 10:54:21 PM
Also, I think many of the ideas listed in the original post above would make great NCSAs- I'm kind of surprised these things haven't been thought of before.

Daniel,

National is never short of great ideas for NCSAs.  As you point out, this could be a good one.  But what they are short of is dedicated CP leaders who can take a great idea like this and put together an activity.  And after a couple of successful iterations as a wing or regional activity, offering to make it an NCSA.

As I see it, the problem is a shortage of dedicated CP officers to undertake the task.  It is a lot of work putting a new activity together, and nearly every CP officer I know is already overtasked with squadron and wing activities.

Now if we could just figure out a way to retain more former cadets as senior member CP officers . . .

I'd love to get more involved with CP and be involved with organizing a NCSA. The CP is one of the big reasons why I got back into CAP and I would love to get more involved. That being said, most of the ideas for NCSA are military-based concepts and I don't really have such a background- in a few months, I'll be going to Marine OCS (joining the Reserves), but even this probably won't be of much help as its the wrong branch since most of the ideas are obviously AF-based in nature.

You make a great point about needing more former Cadets to become SM CP Officers, this is something I've often found true as well and personally, I find my Cadet experience to be extremely valuable now in facilitating the program. As I'm sure we've all noticed, when Cadets go away to college, they seem to be lost from that point onward- if there was only some way to keep them involved, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

AlphaSigOU

Back in the days WIWAC (when I was a cadet) in Florida Wing they used to hold an OJT 'job shadowing' special activity over at then-Homestead AFB. For those who missed out slotting for a national special activity this activity got people interested in the many careers within the Air Force. Jobs ranged from shadowing a crew chief and working in one of the maintenance shops to slinging hash in the chow hall. Not sure if it's still done today.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DC

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 20, 2009, 02:55:45 AM
Back in the days WIWAC (when I was a cadet) in Florida Wing they used to hold an OJT 'job shadowing' special activity over at then-Homestead AFB. For those who missed out slotting for a national special activity this activity got people interested in the many careers within the Air Force. Jobs ranged from shadowing a crew chief and working in one of the maintenance shops to slinging hash in the chow hall. Not sure if it's still done today.
It's still done, but it has become quite competitive, as there are usually very few slots available.

http://www.flcadet.com/CareerShadowing.aspx

DBlair

What does everyone think of the idea of a Wilderness Survival School as a NCSA?

A lot of Cadets have been asking for such an activity to be held locally or at Wing level, and I was curious if there would be interest at a National level for such an activity.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DC

Quote from: DBlair on April 29, 2009, 05:41:16 AM
What does everyone think of the idea of a Wilderness Survival School as a NCSA?

A lot of Cadets have been asking for such an activity to be held locally or at Wing level, and I was curious if there would be interest at a National level for such an activity.
I think there used to be one back in the 80s, run out of USAFA.