Main Menu

Airbus crash

Started by davidsinn, January 15, 2009, 08:59:15 PM

davidsinn

US Airways A320 just ditched in the Hudson River. Intact and floating down river. At 2100Z.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eeyore

News is saying that everyone survived and that there were no crash related injuries, just cold weather/water complicating things.

davidsinn

Quote from: edmo1 on January 15, 2009, 09:17:13 PM
News is saying that everyone survived and that there were no crash related injuries, just cold weather/water complicating things.

Awesome.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eeyore

Fox news just spoke with a survivor and he said that he saw the left engine blow, flames were coming out of it and they could all smell fuel. The crew said to brace for a hard impact and they hit. The passengers were banged around and came out with bruises and some blood but they think everyone got out. They are comparing the injuries to that of a survivable car accident.

Divers have just come back saying that there isn't anyone left on board and are checking the manifest to make sure that everyone made it off safely.

It is believed that the plane hit a number of birds just after takeoff and lost both engines.

Now they are towing the plan back to shore with tugboats.

NIN

Tremendous effort there, fantastic. That the plane was still intact and floating an hour after its ditching is a testament to aerospace engineering.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Timbo

Quote from: NIN on January 15, 2009, 09:38:15 PM
Tremendous effort there, fantastic. That the plane was still intact and floating an hour after its ditching is a testament to aerospace engineering.

and to the awesomeness of the aircrew. 

stratoflyer

I heard a new report on the radio minutes ago and the interviewer was speaking to a survivor and it seemed as though she wanted an exciting story. Other than the forced landing, the survivor said everyone was relatively calm and rather organized and spoke well of the captain.

News media wants carnage. For once we got proof that aviation, even in emergencies, are very survivable, even in heavy iron like an airbus.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

♠SARKID♠

I caught the story on CNN while sitting at Subway for lunch.  BZ to the crew, passengers, USCG and all the other teams/boats that responded.  155 souls on board, thats a lot to bring home safely.

I was sitting there thinking, how are they going to get the plane out?  Even if you get it to shore, you'd still have to take it apart to transport it.

JAFO78

Hats off to the flight crew. It very well could have been a lot worse. :clap:
JAFO

Timbo

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 16, 2009, 03:20:27 AM
For once we got proof that aviation, even in emergencies, are very survivable, even in heavy iron like an airbus.

When you put down in a river.....yes.  Planes (most planes) can survive water landings, and are actually preferred to other locations. 

Plus I would imagine that the pilot also thought about the carnage it could create if he were to ditch into a New York neighborhood.  He most likely was also trying to save lives on the ground.  The reports coming out is he was a F-15 pilot, a NTSB Investigator and crash scene tech. 

He is absolutely a hero today!

CASH172

I heard a report the pilot considered Teterboro as a possible emergency landing site but he decided not to.  Also, whenever I fly the Hudson corridor, I've considered where to put myself in the event on engine failure.  The Henry Hudon Hwy (which runs along the Manhattan side) has been my primary plan of action in the event of an emergency; never had to use it yet.  A large aircraft like a A320 would never have landed safely on a highway that changes elevation constantly with obstacles on all sides.  The Jersey side has a wide road long road, but the amount of obstacles on the sides of the road would prevent a landing there.  The river was really the safest landing site available in that position. 

BuckeyeDEJ

"They float better than they fly."

-- David Letterman, on Airbus planes (the plane crashed while The Late Show was taped)

:clap:

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

davedove

Quote from: Rob Goodman on January 16, 2009, 03:40:52 AM
Hats off to the flight crew. It very well could have been a lot worse. :clap:

Hats off to them for doing their job well, the passengers for remaining calm, the responders for their quick response, and the New York authorities for running the practices that made the quick response possible.

This is an excellent example of things going right in an emergency. :clap:

I found it almost comical how the press kept trying to make it more sensational.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Just watched a news story saying that the investigation would take about a year to complete.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?  Why will it take so long?  So far the news reports that shortly after takeoff the flight hit some birds which caused engine failure.  This lead to the landing in the Hudson. 

What more do they need to know or investigate?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

^^^
Personally, no experience...

But if you follow NTSB investigations... most of it revolves around reconstruction of the incident.

I am sure the basics of interviewing the flight crew, ground eyewitnesses, recovering the cockpit voice recorders, etc

In all fairness, one year isn't really that long of a wait.  For an "agency"  they do some really detailed work and in some pretty nasty conditions. For all that, I would appreciate a unbiased and detailed view.

For "agency" standards... one year is pretty short when other agencies can take as long as 20 years or more over something "less important."

The reports NTSB put together are considerably more important and detailed than a CAPM 39-1 and really doesn't change with the wind like that document... AND that is comparing apples and oranges for CAP'er that are ready to flame away>>>>

isuhawkeye

You may see a short preliminary report in the next few months.  a year is not that unreasonable for the full report to be filed. 

This link shows the timeline of an accident that I worked a few years ago.  you can see that the report was nearly a year after the accident, and this was a small event
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp

Hoorah

WASHINGTON – Investigators said Wednesday they have found the remains of what may be a bird in the engine of the US Airways jet that made a dramatic landing in New York's Hudson River. The National Transportation Safety Board said an examination of the Airbus 320's right engine revealed evidence of "soft body damage" and that "organic material" was found in the engine and on the wings and fuselage.
Samples of the material have gone to the Agriculture Department for a complete DNA analysis, the board said.
A single feather was found attached to a flap track on the wing and will be examined by experts at the Smithsonian Institution.
The pilot of Flight 1549, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, reported a "double bird strike" and a loss of power in both engines before gliding the plane to an emergency river landing last week. All 155 people on board the flight to Charlotte, N.C., survived.
The board also reported Wednesday that:
_divers located the airliner's left engine in about 50 feet of water near the area of the river where the aircraft ditched. The board predicted the engine would be recovered Thursday.
_on Jan. 13, two days before the accident, the aircraft's right engine experienced a power surge. Subsequent maintenance work included the replacement of a temperature probe. "Investigators from the NTSB's maintenance records group are researching this report by examining applicable maintenance records and procedures," the board said in a statement. New York Police Department and New Jersey State Police harbor officers working with a sonar expert from the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration got a reading Tuesday of an object 16 feet long and 8 feet wide near the spot where Flight 1549 made its emergency landing. Divers went into the icy, murky water and located the left engine in about 10 minutes, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. Investigators want to inspect the engine to better understand how it stopped running after the plane hit a flock of birds shortly after taking off from LaGuardia Airport. Most of the Airbus A320 is at a New Jersey marina, where investigators will study it.
Police already located several pieces of debris from the flight, including 35 flotation seat cushions, 12 life jackets, 15 pieces of luggage, two briefcases, 11 purses, 15 suit jackets and shirts, four shoes and two hats, Browne said.

IceNine

FYI- Stuff like that is much better as a link, and your comments. 

Now I can't go see the article as it was published
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 21, 2009, 09:19:58 PM
Just watched a news story saying that the investigation would take about a year to complete.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?  Why will it take so long?  So far the news reports that shortly after takeoff the flight hit some birds which caused engine failure.  This lead to the landing in the Hudson. 

What more do they need to know or investigate?

Its perception. They give a far out estimate to keep everyone from banging down their door.  Its nice when you can set our own deadlines.  it was a non-fatal, so regardless of how popular this incident was, there will be others that take priority.  Like someone said, they will have the investigation wrapped up soon, but give 1 year until the report if DONE....bound, sealed and cataloged with a nice blue cover.

Al Sayre

Most of the time, they will issue an initial report within a day or two.  If the situation is very complex you may see an interim report every 6 months or so, and normally the final report comes out about a year after the incident (unless it's very complex).
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

a2capt

The NTSB will investigate everything related to this accident -

They will ultimately figure out every dent in that airplane, what order the birds went through the engines, etc. The weight and balance, before any luggage is returned, it's all weighed, dried, weighed again, plotted where it was in the aircraft, etc.

A year is pretty fast. :)

Fifinella

Results in.  Here's what brought down the flight  ;) :D:

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753