Mission Notification via SMS/Text Message

Started by Stonewall, January 03, 2009, 06:09:52 PM

Stonewall

Has anyone thought to use SMS/Texting as a means to notify a large group for a mission?

At work we have a 911 notification system that sends an automatic email to the emergency response team anytime 911 is called from a landline on our property.  It gives the extension and time the call was made.  Unfortunately if I'm not sitting at my work station when the call occurs, I won't get it.  But of course, I have a blackberry.  But there can be as much as a 19 minute delay of recieving emails on my blackberry.  So I discovered the option to email a text message to my blackberry.  We've tested it and used it for real several times and the longest gap between the 911 call and notification on my blackberry is 1 minute.

Here's the scenario.  Wing IC is notified of an ELT in Northeast Florida.  He has a duty roster of 10 members to notify.  He walks over to his computer and sends a short "burst" email using their phone number followed by the "@" sign and then their cell carrier's address for such messages.  See list below.

It may not be the best option, but a single email sends notification with some details to an entire alert roster in less than a minute.  A lot less time than it would take to call all of these people.

Sample Message of 160 characters:
REDCAP - ELT SARSAT hit in Northeast FL area at 01:20 local.  Meet up for A/C & UDFT launch at CRG by 02:30.  Reply to IC Smith at 904-555-5555 by 01:45.

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on January 03, 2009, 06:09:52 PM
Has anyone thought to use SMS/Texting as a means to notify a large group for a mission?

That's how my wing does mission call-ups - simultaneous, wing-wide, sms & email blasts.

Generally something like:

Miss #: 08-M-0101, ELT near Fairbanks, need GTs and a/c, respond to IC, Mitchell at 800-588-2300

From there, depending on the SOP at the unit, some units call direct, some spin a team and the leader or CC calls in.

Ongoing messages are sent with small status reports or requests for additional personnel, and one to let everyone know its closed.

Miss #: 08-M-0101, closed, a/c found in ditch at side of road of runway, deactivated, no injuries, thanks to all who helped.

One issue was wing needing to get permission to send messages in that quantity vis SMS - just a matter of contacting the vendors and establishing the relationship and the need.

"That Others May Zoom"

argentip

MIWG has implemented this type of system.  Each squadron has an Alert Officer that is on this list, as well as anyone else who would like to be included on it.  I have never been notified using the system for an actual mission, but it has been tested several times and seems to work, in my opinion.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Short Field

We use the Alert Pager function in the WMU to send Text messages to members.  There are options to limit it to specific specialities, unit positions, and units.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

♠SARKID♠

WMU has a utility in it to send an alert message to a roster or selection of members.  Someone with the authority has to set it up and activate an account with the cell/pager company though.

IceNine

One thing I've found if you try to do this is that the email must be sent direct.

If you attempt to forward these messages from an email account the header will come through but no the body.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

I've played with text message alerts over the years.  Recently I have watched as a few teams have started using Twitter to alert teams.

LtCol057

I think NC Wing is using the text/SMS alerts. Only problem is that some people don't have cell phones or pagers and seems that powers that be don't seem to understand that.  They seem to think that everyone has cell phones, pagers, and computers.

Eclipse

Quote from: LtCol057 on January 04, 2009, 01:08:16 AMThey seem to think that everyone has cell phones, pagers, and computers.

We live in a world where 7-year-olds carry cell phones, decent used computers cost $100, and basic (real basic) internet access is $5 a month.

If you don't have at least one of the above, whether its financial hardship, or simply being a Luddite, you won't be much use to CAP as an emergency-deployable ES asset.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2009, 01:23:39 AM
We live in a world where 7-year-olds carry cell phones, decent used computers cost $100, and basic (real basic) internet access is $5 a month.

If you don't have at least one of the above, whether its financial hardship, or simply being a Luddite, you won't be much use to CAP as an emergency-deployable ES asset.

[SARCASM ON]

Whatever did CAP do before the invention of such modern conveniences?

[SARCASM OFF]

I just cannot agree with this mentality, and I DO have all of the above.  I practically live on my computers, but I've never had one wake me out of a sound sleep.  The same goes for the text message notification on all of the cell phones I've ever had.  The phone on my bedside table on the other hand...
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

NIN

Well.. my Blackberry does go kinda bonkers when I get certain kinds of text messages.  Its loud enough.

I always had a beef with our old wing ES officer doing alerting via email.  I'd wake up in the morning and find out that an ELT had been silenced on the airport 500 yards from my house, where my squadron met, and the notification went out via email.   It became quite the joke until my squadron's ground team all just said "Who do we even bother with keeping up our qualifications if the wing is only ever going to call the guy who incessantly hits *refresh* on his email at 3am?"

The week I started as the IT director at the college I was at, one of our staff members who was our chief head shrinker for the students called me up and railed on me about email. He claimed that he didn't get an important message about an emergency in a timely way.  (he was an on-call/backup counselor for a nearby boarding school, and they had a problem and needed him in the middle of the night, and the only way they tried to get him was via email.)  I said, "Brian, would you dispatch the fire department via email?"  He says "Of course not!"  and told him "This is the same thing. If you're relying on the email system for life & death-type stuff, you're wrong. If they needed you that badly, shouldn't they have called you? Your phone does work, right?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

I wouldn't dispatch or alert anyone via only email, either - the emails go out with the SMS, however for those of us with a connected mobile device, email is the same, if not better than SMS, and a nice back up.

Text page / email is the first line, not the only.

If in the rare case we don't get responses, or enough people, they start waking the babies, however in an increasingly large number of cases, the "home" number is the cel phone anyway, the same one that received the SMS, as people are dumping their land lines, especially our younger members.

As to not being awakened by the text page, you must not have been on call for a "real" job, because when its important, you get a device that will wake you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fireball

Yes we have used text alerting for several years here in NC. Yes we had our share of teething problems, but now it has evolved into an effective and efficient means of alerting our ES resources.
R. N. Brock, Maj, CAP
NCWG

smj58501

We have used Text Messaging with great success for notifying our squadron during the past few alerts and missions. I basically hammer out a simple message to our members detailing the basics of the callup, what is needed, and instructions to 1) reply detailing their immediate availability, and then go to eServices to update their long term availability (using the Mission Availability tool), and 2) go to their email account for more detailed info (you generally have 150 charecters to work with in texting) on the mission.

I am on Verizon, and they have a Text To Landline feature which allows me to send the text message as as a voice message to land line phones. It costs a whopping 25 cents per message to do this, but I made some adjustments in other areas of my budget and made it work.  :P I get a message back stating if the message was either delivered to a live person or an answering machine/ voice mail. Members can also reply back to the Text To Landline with a voice message, which I can retrieve by calling a toll free number.

I like the text option because I can rapidly alert the entire squadron of 35 members in about 5-10 minutes, and I get positive feedback that they either got the message or it is waiting for them on a voice mail. Using this system has also cut down our response time launching the initial sortie tremendously, and we can also start planning future operational periods almost immediately after the first launch because we already have a good picture as to who is available when.

I highly recommend using text messaging if you are not already. It is not a good method to spell out the details, but it is a good system to let folks know something is going down, that their talents are needed, this is what I need you to do to let me know you can participate, and this is where you go to get more details.

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

MSgt Van

We're notified via text message; then I can notify our squadron members via the service provided at www.call-em-all.com.  I have call groups for ground, air, support, SM, cadets, etc.  So far it's worked great.

Stonewall

I knew paging wasn't new technology but I had no idea it was used so much in CAP.  I think my squadron is notified by phone.  I'm still trying to get on the alert roster but I think I still need to prove myself.

Guess this wasn't such a great [new] idea after all.  Am I getting old?
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on January 04, 2009, 05:44:28 PM
Guess this wasn't such a great [new] idea after all.  Am I getting old?

Getting...?    ;D

Watch that same 7-year old text the contents of the Gettysburg Address on his cell phone with only a regular phone keypad, then you'll see how old you really are.

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

On our wing's website we can sign up for text messages alerts (indicating our sms text phone address), and there's a utility that allows authorized personnel to send these sms text messages, which also are concurrently sent out as internet emails. 

Page's normally indicate mission number, general area, & specifics types of ES personnel needed to respond.

Sometimes when I check my emails, I find the IC's, especially during the wee morning hours (e.g. 0100 to 0500 hrs local), seem to get a bit desperate trying to get people to respond (because most are sleeping & have their cellphones off).  Personally, I took myself off the SMS message page (was getting charged for each message (most not within our response area) & not cost effective to add to my plan) & rely on the internet email as well as my Commander giving me a call IF we need to respond.  Some IC's end up calling on the telephone select personnel, rather than just depending upon the one way text page. 

I also think that IF you set up the system, the unit's ES Officer/Commander, should concur with who gets paged (or at least have a list from the wing as to who is signed up from the unit), because we want active member's to respond & not someone we haven't seen for 3+ months!!!   
RM

RiverAux

I have a very hard time seeing this sort of system as being terribly useful.  I just don't see how the IC doesn't end up talking on the phone with just as many people as they would if they had to call around to rustle up the resources themselves since theoretically a lot more people would call in to participate than are needed.

If I'm an IC and need a UDF team and an airplane, 1 or 2 calls should be all it takes to get a particular squadron rolling and after that, the squadron commander should be calling out the personnel with the training needed to answer that tasking. 

Having been a squadron commander for a larger than average CAP squadron, I usually had the people I needed within 15-20 minutes by calling them myself.  I'd rather be proactive and do that than put out an SMS call and sit around sucking my thumb hoping someone calls in. 

I can see it being useful in the very largest missions where you're trying to get every hand on deck in the wing.  And as a way to try to confirm the status of CAP personnel in an area that might have been damaged in a disaster. 

The other situation where this would be helpful would be the not uncommon incident where the IC can't get hold of any of the leadership from a squadron and this would possibly let him get a call out to all the unit members so that he could put the teams together himself. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2009, 03:33:05 AM
If I'm an IC and need a UDF team and an airplane, 1 or 2 calls should be all it takes to get a particular squadron rolling and after that, the squadron commander should be calling out the personnel with the training needed to answer that tasking. 

Not all states deploy based on a squadron model, many deploy based on resources scattered all over.

"That Others May Zoom"