Another ABU Question

Started by mmouw, December 18, 2008, 01:22:45 AM

IceNine

^ We don't know.  We currently don't know anything about ABU's as it refers to CAP in any capacity.  This includes them ever being authorized, what we will wear on them, etc.  Everything you see here is speculation no matter how reliable the source.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on December 19, 2008, 08:34:39 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2008, 02:36:17 AM
From a reliable source.....we will go to ABUs....it is just a matter of when.  The discussions are taking place as CAP-USAF level.

I think the ABU's would be great for CAP. Only problem. Would we be using same insignia?

I hope not. Hopefully, with an updated uniform, they'll update insignia, too.

MIKE

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on December 19, 2008, 08:34:39 PMI think the ABU's would be great for CAP. Only problem. Would we be using same insignia?

According to the proposal I saw, no... Unfortunately.

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 19, 2008, 08:45:49 PM

You'll have to see it.

Mike Johnston

Timbo

I doubt CAP will ever see anything but ultramarine blue. 

I would like to get the boots fast tracked for wear with the BDU's though.  All they offer at the local MCSS are the AF style and one pair of black boots that are way expensive, and must be leftovers from before the switch. 

I don't like ordering clothes or shoes or boots on line, as I actually like to stick my feet in the product before I throw cash toward them.  The whole "try before you buy, make sure the quality is good" thing is a real factor in what I buy. 

Eclipse

^ I believe I've already bet people here that we'll have ABU's w/ the same name tapes and identical configuration of full-color insignia.

There's no reason for CAP not to, and there are too many "special interest groups" who will lobby for their patch, not the least of which are the local squadrons.

I also don't believe that the phase-out of BDU's will be any sooner than 2014 and probably more like 2015.  There will be discussion with no authorized wear through and past the military phase outs, and I'd say there's just as much chance that CAP will either stay with BDU, or adopt the blue field uniform as the only authorized uniform.

Frankly, there is far more justification for taking either of those actions than in authorizing ABUs.

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: MIKE on December 19, 2008, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on December 19, 2008, 08:34:39 PMI think the ABU's would be great for CAP. Only problem. Would we be using same insignia?

According to the proposal I saw, no... Unfortunately.

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 19, 2008, 08:45:49 PM

You'll have to see it.

That will be pretty exciting! The old insignia would look horrible, on the ABU's. If we do get ABU's it will not be for quite a long time.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Timbo

^ Why cant we get the ABU pattern as the background for the patches, and use white for the lettering, and full color for the rank insignia.  That would be distinctive enough, and keep costs somewhat lower as the tape and material stock is being produced for the military already.

That would be too easy I suppose,  got to KEEP Vanguard as the sole supplier for everything.  

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Timbo on December 19, 2008, 09:10:34 PM

ABUs with ultramarine would be HIDEOUS.

I'd rather see the insignia/lettering itself be white/gold instead of blue/brown, but on the same tan background.  "Civil Air Patrol" and the name in white should stand out enough to avoid confusion with RM but wouldn't clash as bad as ultramarine.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Timbo on December 19, 2008, 09:14:40 PM
^ Why cant we get the ABU pattern as the background for the patches, and use white for the lettering, and full color for the rank insignia.  That would be distinctive enough, and keep costs somewhat lower as the tape and material stock is being produced for the military already.

That would be too easy I suppose,  got to KEEP Vanguard as the sole supplier for everything.  

LOL -- GMTA!

Eclipse

Quote from: Timbo on December 19, 2008, 09:14:40 PM
That would be too easy I suppose,  got to KEEP Vanguard as the sole supplier for everything. 

Color is not going to keep VG as the sole supplier of nametapes.

Its just material, thread, people's names, and english language words in the public domain.

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 19, 2008, 09:17:34 PM

I'd rather see the insignia/lettering itself be white/gold instead of blue/brown, but on the same tan background.  "Civil Air Patrol" and the name in white should stand out enough to avoid confusion with RM but wouldn't clash as bad as ultramarine.

Yeah or get the ABU's back ground for the name tag and CAP tag but put it in Blue lettering so it stands out!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 19, 2008, 09:17:34 PM

Actually they don't look that bad at all:

And with my posting of this photo we have officially circled the discussion back to May, 2006...   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

I mean it is not horrible actuall. I mean it stands out way too much!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

RiverAux

QuoteABUs with ultramarine would be HIDEOUS.
We've been wearing a uniform with hideous ultramarine for 20 years, so theres little reason to think that it would change even though there are plenty of options for coming up with color combinations that are distinctive from the AF, but still attractive. 

TEAM SURGE

Well thats why we have time to work on it right?

It's gonna be a while so don't hold your breath.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

MIKE

I prefer the white on ultramarine for it's distinctiveness for CAP today while still having a history of being "Air Forcey" over something that is uncomfortably close while still needing to be distinctive.

Mike Johnston

RiverAux

The white letters on navy blue background (same color as BBDU) example given in a now ancient thread looked sharp, stood out enough to be distinctive and had the added advantage of making absolute sense for wear on the BBDU.    I don't wear the BBDU, but see no reason to have them looking even gaudier than those in BDUs by having mismatched blue objects on the same shirt.

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DC

I remember proposing white lettering on grey a while back, it might have been on CadetStuff, IDK..

Navy would look decent, it is muted enough to go okay with the colors on the ABU, and it does make a truckload of sense to have the same tapes and insignia for both the ABU and BBDU. If only the military had that much sense when they came up with five different utility uniforms, and three different boots..  ::)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on December 19, 2008, 09:38:02 PM
The white letters on navy blue background (same color as BBDU) example given in a now ancient thread looked sharp, stood out enough to be distinctive and had the added advantage of making absolute sense for wear on the BBDU.    I don't wear the BBDU, but see no reason to have them looking even gaudier than those in BDUs by having mismatched blue objects on the same shirt.
+3

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.