Another ABU Question

Started by mmouw, December 18, 2008, 01:22:45 AM

mmouw

OK, I know we all have speculated about when we are transitioning to ABUs over the last year, but I would like to know from anyone that can say as officially as possible if the discussion has taken place. I know it must be voted on before it happens, but are the wheels in motion for this next year?

The reason I am asking is that I am in need of replacing my BDUs for the first time in almost 10 yrs and want to know if I should wait a few short months or just buy more BDUs. I know that we will be able to wear BDUs long after the AF phases them out, but as you can tell, I take care of them and hope that the replacements will last another 10 years.

Please, no information from a guy who knew a guy who heard it from another guy. Thanks everyone!
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

citizensoldier

I have no idea on what will be done on the ABU.  I would say get some used but servicable BDUs and go with them.  They are cheap.  They will have a wear out date down the line.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

JayT

What happened when CAP went from fatigues to BDU's?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

lordmonar

From a reliable source.....we will go to ABUs....it is just a matter of when.  The discussions are taking place as CAP-USAF level.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I seem to recall watching one of the national meetings over the internet this spring and hearing something to the effect that it was expected that we would switch over at some point.  But, after that I heard from a person in a position to know such things that I shouldn't hold my breath. 

I think we can be certain that the changeover probably isn't going to happen in the next year, so if your uniform is trashed, go ahead and get a new BDU.  More than likely even after we do switch the BDU will continue to be an approved uniform for several more years, so you've got plenty of time to get your money out of it. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JThemann on December 18, 2008, 02:33:43 AM
In the interim, we went to OD jungle fatigues. There were a couple of phase-in periods, yada yada, but yes, we had jungle fatigues after the OG 507s and before the BDU.

I miss the OG 507s. They were so easy to take care of, and always looked neat.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Trouble

Quote from: JThemann on December 18, 2008, 02:33:43 AM

In MDWG got to the point that we had folks that could not get a fatigue uniform due to the lack of regular sizes. We had tons of XS tops and bottoms but not much else.  Then our Wing reluctantly allowed the wear of BDUs, with strings attached, until the mandatory wear date took effect. Back then each Wing or Region Commander had he final say as to when their unit could finally transition.  So unless NHQ provides other direction this time around, even though CAP gets approval to wear the ABU, each Wing can hold out on doing so until the mandatory wear date.  I believe this is something that must be addressed when NHQ gets that AF approval for ABUs.

Though on the other hand CAP did not have the BBDU back then. So there was no legal alternative if you could not find fatigues in your size, and did not meet the Wing mandated requirements for wear of the BDU prior to the mandatory wear date.
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

Timbo

^ That makes no sense.  The Mandatory Wear date is not supposed to be the date the Commander "first allows wear" of a particular uniform, it is the date that all members are supposed to be wearing a particular uniform instead of the old one.   

IceNine

Not in this organization it isn't.

Try strolling through our regs, and stop thinking about how the military does things.

Mandatory wear date's in CAP is the date that you are required to be in compliance with a particular change this can be adding a patch or accessory or when you are no longer allowed to wear a certain uniform and change to the new one.

Most uniforms and uniform items will have a phase out date as well where that particular item is no longer authorized and you must then choose from an appropriate alternative.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: IceNine on December 18, 2008, 08:28:46 PM
Mandatory wear date's in CAP is the date that you are required to be in compliance with a particular change this can be adding a patch or accessory or when you are no longer allowed to wear a certain uniform and change to the new one.

Ya.....thought I said that.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

IF you can hold off until the National Board meeting in March, there may be a more definitive answer available to you then.  If your uniforms make you look like a homeless veteran, by all means, buy a set of BDU's.

In March we are likely to have better answers for you, as opposed to speculation. 
Another former CAP officer

DNall

A configuration for ABUs may well be proposed in March depending on some human factors. There is little doubt it'll be approved by AF, but phase in is a completely different matter. CAP will not do the initial authorized date till ABUs are generally distributed to the great majority of AF/AFRes/ANG. So far, that is not really the case. They have been transitioning rather slowly for a number of reasons. In any case, BDUs will remain authorized till most likely in the 2013/14 range, so certainly if you need a new set then don't hold off on the expectation of ABUs.

As far as Wg/CCs not allowing transition within their sphere of influence in the way they did with BDUs or currently with Wg patches. That will not occur. We have one system of CAP uniforms that are controlled at the national level & the national level only. There are no exceptions. Wg/CCs need to keep their focus on things like internal operations, safety, and governmental relations issues.

Eeyore

^ Except for when there are exceptions, such as the CAWG GT uniform.

DNall

Granted, but there's only so much I/we can do at one time. I can't go fix the state of California right now, I don't have time, plus I'm not sure anyone can fix that weird state. My point is it won't be CAP driven.

Wings are going to stop doing their own thing & get on board with this being a national organization, just like CAP is going to quit doing its own thing & get on board with a FEMA driven national ICS system & with working within the AF structure as a subordinate organization. I think we can all pretty much agree with that. Lets just start small with fixing the uniforms though, huh?

PORed

In a perfect world DNall. I wish people would worry less about the new ABUs and more about volunteer rention, modernization to stay relevent and being a true Auxiliary again.

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on December 19, 2008, 03:00:53 PM
Wings are going to stop doing their own thing & get on board with this being a national organization, just like CAP is going to quit doing its own thing & get on board with a FEMA driven national ICS system & with working within the AF structure as a subordinate organization. I think we can all pretty much agree with that.

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a single shred of evidence that the above is the case - I wish it was, I'll support initiatives that get us there, but I don't see it today.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Read deeper I'm pretty sure this is a

Microsoft Works
Military Intelligence

Type arguement
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

I know in NVWG we are modernising, using IMU, complying with the ICS system, and working closely with the USAF as a full partner.  We work on our little corner of the world and do the best that we can.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2008, 02:36:17 AM
From a reliable source.....we will go to ABUs....it is just a matter of when.  The discussions are taking place as CAP-USAF level.

I think the ABU's would be great for CAP. Only problem. Would we be using same insignia?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"