Airlines and Airliners

Started by JAFO78, November 15, 2008, 01:31:35 AM

JAFO78

Anyone here into Airlines and Airliners. Building model airplanes, taking photographs, listening to ATC?

It is another great part of Aviation.  8)
JAFO

tarheel gumby

I am into model airplanes, but have not found any airliners in any of the local hobby shops.
I have mainly built WW2 Navy and 1950's USAF aircraft in 1:72, as I need the space
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

vawgcadet

I am... in a way. I use to be a serious airliners.net freak, but lately I haven't been on the site too much. Luckily, I live right underneath the approach path of Norfolk International's Runway 5. I get a show everyday, particularly during the late afternoon.

C/MSgt Michael Perkins
MER-VA-141|Hampton Roads Composite Squadron

Rob Sherlin

I am starting to build and collect model aircraft (not much to do here in the winter). I'm starting with WWI models, and then moving to WWII, and so on. I am trying to get all the same scale so one can get a feel of size comparison. I am also considering getting some "Civie" aircraft too.
  I never had too much interest in Airliners, but am gaining interest (the more I talk to schools) as I am trying to work towards my PPL, and considering the cost of doing so, and the cost of flying, it seems like the only way I'm going to make this happen is to go to an Academy, get the Financial Aid, and become an Airline Pilot. This way, I'll get my PPL (and more), and make enough money to buy my own plane to fly.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

JAFO78

I used to build scale model airliners 1:144 scale, and models of military jets but the problem I ran into was space. getting too many. When I got married I stopped as I was worried that the small parts would break off and get into the kids mouths.
JAFO

BuckeyeDEJ

I guess if you're into it, that's good. I can't do it. For me, airliners are to aviation what school buses are to motor vehicles!

I did see a site the other day -- but can't remember what it is -- that organized crash photos by type and by registration.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Rob Sherlin

I am only going 1:72 scale because of the whole room thing (especialy if I plan on any bombers in the collection). Also, I'm just getting a few of the more popular aircraft (WWI- Sopwith Camel, Fokker Dr-1, Albatross (what were they thinking when they named that plane!...Ya' ever see an Albatross land?), Spad, etc.)... I only have one wall to put them on, with one shelf for each era. So, I cant get too carried away. I was thinking about hanging some, but with my RC planes, those spaces are allready spoken for (don't have a garage and just my RC F-16 is about 3 1/2 ft. long...The RC stuff takes up a lot of space).
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

JAFO78

You can always hang some with thread or fishing line from the ceiling and make them dog fight.

WW1 in one part, and WW2 in another.
JAFO

Rob Sherlin

Yeah, it would look kinda' odd with a P-51 firing at a Fokker DR-1  ;D

NC Hokie

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 19, 2008, 03:01:07 PM

How about an F-14 Tomcat firing on an A6M Zero?

Now, who can tell me where that idea came from?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Rob Sherlin

I remember that movie! Considering it was time travel, it was a pretty cool scene (especialy the looks on the Japanese pilots faces when the F-14's "ripped" by them)....WAY TA' GO MIKE!

DC

Quote from: NC Hokie on November 19, 2008, 04:24:34 PM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 19, 2008, 03:01:07 PM

How about an F-14 Tomcat firing on an A6M Zero?

Now, who can tell me where that idea came from?
They actually used AT-6s for the movie.

A lot easier to find than actual Zeros, postwar.  ;)