Main Menu

Flight Sims

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 10, 2008, 02:50:45 PM

Rob Sherlin

Does anyone here also fly Flight Sims?

I have a few of them and think they help quite a bit. I've mainly been flying Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 (I know they have FSX, but 2004 is good enough for me) and it's helped with learning the instruments, adjusting to weather and wid conditions and so fourth. I even got the CAP/SAR add on for it.

I also have "Dawn of Aces" which is a WWI combat sim....

I'm looking for a good WWII combat sim.........

And the other I fly a lot is "F-16 Multirole Fighter" which I'm trying to see if I can get a network game going, but I haven't had any luck.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

LoyalNine

I use MS Flight Sim X with a bunch of add ons...  (I cringe at the money I have spent).   I used to spend a lot of time on IL2 (WWII flight sim) as well as Falcon 4.  Since my interest in obtaining my PPL has peaked its been all FSX for me.  Its an amazing program.

As far as any sort of combat flight sim goes - Falcon 4 still has no rival.

Rob Sherlin

I'll have to try Falcon 4 a try. I agree very much so on the Microsoft Flight Sims (I would have bought X, but I wanted the CAP add on which was made for 2004, and my graphics card isn't that great anyway (I heard the visuals in X are awesome)).
   The MS Flight Sim was recommended to me by a flight instructor who said it teaches you a lot, and even has lessons where you earn your certifications (at least "sim"wise). What I've found is......I'm not only learning, I'm having a blast at the same time because, I'm able to fly over places that I normaly would be hard to do anywhere else (fly by the Pyramids , through the Grand Canyon, etc.) and the add ons are real cool too.
    I've even played around with it and said,"Hmmm! Lets see how long it would take a short run, and fly from Clearwater to Orlando in a Cessna 182, OK.....now lets try it in a F-16 (ha ha ha). The cool thing about the add ons is you get to see how the different aircraft handle.......It's just cool all together.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

MIKE

Not really into sims on the PC, I have a few of the old Jane's ones that came in multi-packs from back in the day... Ace Combat fanboy though.
Mike Johnston

SJFedor

Using FS2004 (and more recently FSX) really helped me earlier on when I was interested in, and learning how to fly. I used to hook it up to VATSIM (www.vatsim.net) which REALLY helped me get my phraseology down for ATC communications. Also helped a lot when I did my instrument, because I could run all the approaches on the sim the day before we were going to go out and fly them, and I found I had a much easier time with them

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

LoyalNine

I am just starting to jump into VATSIM.  That is completely amazing beyond anything I have yet seen online.  If anyone else is not aware of what it is go to www.vatspy.com and download the VATspySetup.exe  - you don't need to have FS2004 or FSX installed to run it but it shows you all the current virtual pilots flying in the Vatsim servers.  altitude, heading, destination airport, takeoff airport, pilot stats... it is just nuts.

I just picked up the CAP add on for FSX but have yet to really play it much. 

Rob Sherlin

The CAP add on is pretty cool. You can choose what you need to find (a downed aircraft, auto collision, 1 to a group of people waiving, etc.) and where (woods, desert, mountains,etc.) and the search pattern you want to take. It also gives you the Cessnas with the CAP paintjob (old and new) that you can use in regular flights.

I'll definitely check out the VATSIM, sounds real cool and helpfull.

LoyalNine

...yep I figure I'll hang my full nerdyness out for all to see.   Here is my setup - well kinda (I built a special desk for my setup a few weeks ago) but this is the gear I have for FSX. My setup for Falcon and IL2 switches to a HOTAS setup.

vawgcadet

^That's an awesome setup you got there! I've flown on FS2002, 2004, and FSX. It's been 2004 for the most part, as FSX doesn't run that great on my computer.
Quote from: LoyalNine on November 11, 2008, 04:50:02 AM
I am just starting to jump into VATSIM.  That is completely amazing beyond anything I have yet seen online.  If anyone else is not aware of what it is go to www.vatspy.com and download the VATspySetup.exe  - you don't need to have FS2004 or FSX installed to run it but it shows you all the current virtual pilots flying in the Vatsim servers.  altitude, heading, destination airport, takeoff airport, pilot stats... it is just nuts.
I use to fly on VATSIM a lot, not as much now. It can get pretty hectic online... just wait until your flying in a busy, uncontrolled airspace (JFK/LGA over the weekend can get pretty crazy).
C/MSgt Michael Perkins
MER-VA-141|Hampton Roads Composite Squadron

MIKE

I hear FSX is a pretty big system hog even on high end rigs.
Mike Johnston

Rob Sherlin

I downloaded the FSX trial version (wanted to try it before I buy it), and it did require a lot of space and sytem resources. I found FS 2004 wasn't as demanding on my system, but I still have to keep the graphics at a minumun so I don't get "frame stuttering" when I fly (that's a pain). I can fix it by putting in a better video card with it's own memory (which I have), but I only have 1 pci slot in my system, and it's being taken up by a wireless adapter (I'll probably change that soon).

SilverEagle2

I have FSX running like a champ on my machine however, I have a beast of a machine. (I'm an extreme gamer).

QuoteI can fix it by putting in a better video card with it's own memory (which I have), but I only have 1 pci slot in my system,

A PCI video card may improve your graphics, but unlikely as the PCI cards of today are lousy. Do not Confuse PCI with PCI-e. They are not the same. If you are running a wireless adapter then you more than likely have only a PCI slot. Not to many PCI video cards that are going to be better than your on-board video.

PCI-e however is the standard used for today's high end graphics. I have a dual PCI-e SLi setup that is smooth as butter on glass.

Just an advisory if that is your setup.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

C/MSgt. White

I've been trying to set up a CAP Flight sim session. At first it was just going to be WA wing but that would be too small. now I am thinking just go national, so... If anyone wants to host a session go for it. I am usually on every other weekend, look for me-- White446357 on FSX.

Also, here is a repaint for the Cessna 172SP skyhawk in FS9, I heard there was one for FSX but I will stick with the Maule because it looks cooler. duh...

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/listfiles/aircraft-repaints/general-aviation-repaints/1.html
Derek White, C/MSgt. CAP
PCR-WA-015