Main Menu

RC Aircraft

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 06, 2008, 07:52:54 AM

Rob Sherlin

I know CAP has rocketry, but does CAP get into building and flyng RC planes? I kind of looked around and didn't see anything on it.

(I didn't know if I should post this here, or in Aerospace Ed or something. I considered it a flying activity so....)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

♠SARKID♠

I've never heard of an official program, but it would definitely be an activity your squadron could get into.  Might be a tad pricey though.  Multiply the number of times every beginner crashes by the number of cadets in your squadron and you're going to go through a lot of airplanes.  I smashed my first one up so bad it has been reduced to an airsoft target in the corner of my room.

notaNCO forever

CAP doesn't have a program for RC aircraft but if your squadron has the funds I'd say go for it.

Rob Sherlin

Well, the cost all depends on what your doing, and skill level. I have RC planes that are basically electric "twin prop" gliders, which only ran me about $30 or so......These are easy to fly (I would consider beginner level), but they still teach the basics that you deal with in flight (speed vs altitude, banking and turning while keeping level, heading, dealing with unexpected air currents and making adjustments, etc ). and they're fun to learn on because they're forgiving enough to get you over the fear of losing control and crashing.
   There are so many, you can go as far as you want. You have "non powered" and "slope soarers" which run from cheap to expensive (but you need a place with updrafts or thermals to stay in the air for a good period). Then you have electric class where the prices also range. I have a little micro helicopter that I fly around the house for kicks sometimes (my cat doesn't know what to make of it) that cost me around $25, and I have an "inducted fan" F-16 that's about 4 feet long (maybe a little more) that I'm building ( don't know where I'm going to fly it because it will need a lot of space.....But, I'm building it anyway), which has ran me $180 so far and I havent even gotten the controller, the servos, etc.
    Then there's gas powered which is the most exspensive, but you can still find deals if you are willing to do the research, get a kit and build it.........I think no matter what level, or type of RC aircraft you're flying, you still learn a lot about flying because you ARE flying! It's just at a smaller scale and you're physically not in the cockpit.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

SilverEagle2

As an avid RC'r/High Power Rocketeer as well as full scale, I would have to agree that it could be very cost prohibitive in CAP.

However, I try to offer my trainer plane any time I can to spark the interest. I do everything from electric to glow fuel to gas large scale. Heli's and Planks, and high speed/high power Rockets.

You should see the kids eyes light up when I bust out the 100cc twin that turns a 28in prop.

It is easy to buy Rockets in bulk. Little harder to get Planes that are worth teaching on that way.

Let me know if I can help with advice...

Here is a sample of one of my "Mid Sized" adventures

Here is an In progress of another more large variant.

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Rob Sherlin

SWEEEET!!!! ...LOOKS AWESOME!!  But, maybe it's a little to much for beginers. I know it's impressive to see RC aircraft of that type and size fly, but you also have to realize that the majority of beginers are going to get turned off at the cost (especially if they are beginers...they'll be worried about spending all that money and crashing it beyond repair the first time out). That's why I like some of the electric planes I have. They're not a lot of money, and they're easy to fly (but still makes you deal with the basics).
   So, people will say, " I can get one of these, come out here and learn to fly.....It's not that much money, and it's fun and a challenge at the same time!".
    Let me put it this way!......would you let someone just learning, fly the aircraft you posted? (I wouldn't!). But, when they ask, "What would it take and cost for me (or my son/ daughter) to get involved in something like that?"...Are you going to tell them, "This plane ran me AT LEAST $300, then I made some modifications and so fourth? Or, tell them, "There are excellent planes to learn the basics with, that only run around $30 or so, as you learn and advance, it's your choice on what you want to spend on RC aircraft and how comlicated you want to go (planes with cameras, PC operated planes, etc.)

SilverEagle2

True. I was not advocating that they fly these. VERY EXPENSIVE.

I would however on my buddy box let them fly this one.

I think a good solid trainer plane with a buddy box would be a great way for a Squadron to support RC Aviation.

Just make sure the pilot on the primary controller is good enough to recover any condition. I always keep my kids 5 mistakes high for that reason.

The set up above is a $400.00 investment that can be used by all purchased by the unit.

Once they catch the bug, let them loose on their own.

Gotta love buddy boxes!

Just some thoughts
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Rob Sherlin

That's not too bad $400 for everything and gas powered is a pretty good deal. If they are flinching at the cost, then they should be aware there are electric models that they can puchase that would be cheaper, and they range in skill and size too (the jets get pretty fast and squirrely).