Ground School Instructor?

Started by Flying Pig, October 21, 2008, 11:21:08 PM

Flying Pig

Having completed my CPL-Rotorcraft and CPL-Instrument SEL, and Private Glider, my next goal is CFI.

However, the Mrs. has been very gracious and throwing out the idea of doing the full CFI right now would probably, well....get me thrown out! ::)

Any Ground Instructors here?  From what I can tell, its the Ground Instructor test, Fundamentals of Instructing test, and then an oral with an examiner?  Is there any differentiating between helicopter or fixed wing G.I.?

caprr275

yea im a AGI, the tests were semi easy I always use the Gleam softwear and just go though the whole database a few times.

I strogly sugges you take the the CFI writen at the same time you take the Basic or Adcanced ground instructor writen. just go for the AGI it is only a few more questions. and the CFI writen is the same question pool with about 10 different questions in the pool.

Flying Pig

OK....

Im hoping within the next year or year and a half I can do the full CFI, but thought AGI would be a way to do it in stages, and still be able to get something out of it vs. slappin' down $5k all at once for the full CFI.

ray

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 21, 2008, 11:21:08 PM
Any Ground Instructors here?  From what I can tell, its the Ground Instructor test, Fundamentals of Instructing test, and then an oral with an examiner?  Is there any differentiating between helicopter or fixed wing G.I.?

There is no oral exam to become a ground instructor.  Just take the two tests (fundamentals of instructing and advanced ground instructor, forget the basic test) and take the test reports to your local FSDO (make an appointment) and they'll anoint you ground instructor right on the spot.

There's no difference between helicopter and fixed wing ground instructor tests.  You could probably pass the advanced ground instructor and instrument ground instructor tests now without any additional studying.  The hard one will actually be the fundamentals of instructing test.  Caprr275 is right that if you think you'll be finishing the CFI within 2 years you should just do the CFI written at the same time - it's easier than the AGI test.  Also, none of these written tests require an endorsement from an instructor.

Keep in mind though, that the ground instructor ratings are relatively useless.  You probably won't find many opportunities to use it, even volunteering your time.  But they're basically free ratings, so you might as well do it.  You can also do a lot of prep work for your CFI in your spare time at relatively low cost.  The oral is the bulk of the CFI exam, and as I understand it, where the vast majority of failures occur.  Start working on a private and commercial pilot syllabus.  Learn parts 61 and 91 inside out, and learn to write all of the various endorsements more or less from memory (advisory circular 65E).  Practice flying from the right seat (which as a helicopter pilot, I don't imagine you'll have problems with).  With a lot of advance prep work, it could cost a lot less than $5000 to become a CFI.

- Ray (month old CFI)

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: ray on October 23, 2008, 01:46:23 AM
Keep in mind though, that the ground instructor ratings are relatively useless. 

Yes and no.

The FAA does not keep track of written failures for ground instructors so if you sign off people for a written, use your CGI certificate.

I've used mine (CGI-AI) to sign members off for a written over the years.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it