Squadron commander promotions

Started by Dutchboy, September 18, 2008, 02:40:52 PM

Dutchboy

Does a squadron commander become eligible for (honary) promotion to Captain after 1 year of service? Has this changed at all? Citation please.

Eclipse

Yes.  Eligible.

It is not an "honorary" promotion, it is a "special appointment".

Quote from: CAPR 35-5, Page 10  http://level2.cap.gov/documents/R035_005.pdf
d. Squadron Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member to the grade of first lieutenant concurrent with the member's appointment as squadron commander. He or she becomes eligible for promotion to captain at the end of 1 year's service as squadron commander. NOTE: Commanders of State Legislative Squadrons may be advanced to the grade of lieutenant colonel concurrent with the member's appointment.

There has been no change to this in the 9+ years I have been a member.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Yes. 

CAPR 35-5, pp. 6: (Special Appointments)

d. Squadron Commander. Wing commanders may advance a senior member to the grade of first lieutenant concurrent with the member's appointment as squadron commander. He or she becomes eligible for promotion to captain at the end of 1 year's service as squadron commander. NOTE: Commanders of State Legislative Squadrons may be advanced to the grade of lieutenant colonel concurrent with the member's appointment.

Or, what Eclipse said.  That works too.   ;D

Dutchboy

Who is suppose to officially request the promotion? Squadron PDO, GROUP CC or the Squadron CC? Also, is it done through a 2a?

Eclipse

Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:16:01 PM
Who is suppose to officially request the promotion? Squadron PDO, GROUP CC or the Squadron CC? Also, is it done through a 2a?

There is no CAP reg on this, its based on local SOP.  Inmy opinion, the Group CC or PDO would be the appropriate party as
Group is a Unit CC's "commander" (however some Wings don't have Groups).

It has to be done on a 2A because eServices does not accommodate SA promotions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dutchboy

17Aug07 - 17AUG08 is the one year in question. But capwatch shows he is not eligible for promotion untill Feb09. Does it not take into account the member is Squadron CC?  Which date should be used? The actual one or capwatch?

arajca

Eservices only shows requirements for Duty Performance promotions, not special promotions. It does not take into account the member's duty position.

Use a CAPF 2A and submit through channels based on the actual dates served as commander.

Dutchboy

Quote from: arajca on September 18, 2008, 03:50:51 PM
Eservices only shows requirements for Duty Performance promotions, not special promotions. It does not take into account the member's duty position.

Use a CAPF 2A and submit through channels based on the actual dates served as commander.

He does not know I am doing this, I am trying to surpise him, do I submit it to my group CC? or does it have to goto commander even though it is for him?

Eclipse

Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:53:12 PM

He does not know I am doing this, I am trying to surprise him, do I submit it to my group CC? or does it have to goto commander even though it is for him?

It goes direct to Group, and they should be the requesting officer.  A unit CC does not approve his own promotion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dutchboy

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2008, 04:05:25 PM
Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:53:12 PM

He does not know I am doing this, I am trying to surprise him, do I submit it to my group CC? or does it have to goto commander even though it is for him?

It goes direct to Group, and they should be the requesting officer.  A unit CC does not approve his own promotion.

So a squadron PDO would not submit it to group?

Eclipse

There's no reason they can't, but this is the kind of thing that the Group CC is supposed to be on top of, and the unit CC's are his direct subordinates for any approvals of their PD.

I would suggest a quick reminder email to the Group CC is all you should have to do to get things moving.

If your unit CC is on top of things you'll never be able to surprise him, anyway, as the promotion will appear in eServices as soon as its approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dutchboy

Thanks. Yea, I did that just now, I included the dates and for the heck of it I cited the regs in the reminder email.

Cecil DP

Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:16:01 PM

CAPF 2, is for promotions
CAPF2a is for personnel actions
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Camas

Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:53:12 PMHe does not know I am doing this, I am trying to surpise him, do I submit it to my group CC? or does it have to goto commander even though it is for him?

Absolutely - go ahead. CAPF2 is normally filled out by "immediate superior" (CAPR35-5 Sec A Para 8B) and then to unit commander. In this case since we're dealing with a unit commander the form should simply be filled out and forwarded up the chain of command. If your wing has groups then it goes to the group commander for final approval; if not then it goes directly to wing.

airdad

Uh, guys, if you submit a promotion request on a Form 2a, it will bounce back to you faster than you sent it.  You need a Form 2 for promotion.  Hope that speeds things up
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

Al Sayre

Quote from: Camas on September 18, 2008, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: messofficer on September 18, 2008, 03:53:12 PMHe does not know I am doing this, I am trying to surpise him, do I submit it to my group CC? or does it have to goto commander even though it is for him?

Absolutely - go ahead. CAPF2 is normally filled out by "immediate superior" (CAPR35-5 Sec A Para 8B) and then to unit commander. In this case since we're dealing with a unit commander the form should simply be filled out and forwarded up the chain of command. If your wing has groups then it goes to the group commander for final approval; if not then it goes directly to wing.

Have the Personnel Officer fill it out  That way he/she is generally staying in their own lane... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Dutchboy

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 18, 2008, 04:58:41 PM
Quote from: Camas on September 18, 2008, 04:54:04 PM

Have the Personnel Officer fill it out  That way he/she is generally staying in their own lane... 
I am the acting personnel officer & admin officer. I have been PDO but less than two hands worth of those and they are not even active. About half are. What do I do since the form says flight or squadron commander for the signature? For this scenario ignore it and fill it out and send to Group CC?

Eclipse

Quote from: messofficer on September 20, 2008, 02:02:55 AMFor this scenario ignore it and fill it out and send to Group CC?

Yes.  A commander cannot approve his own promotion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dutchboy

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2008, 02:12:54 AM
Quote from: messofficer on September 20, 2008, 02:02:55 AMFor this scenario ignore it and fill it out and send to Group CC?

Yes.  A commander cannot approve his own promotion.

Ok, thanks.