Helicopter to Fixed wing David Clarks

Started by hatentx, September 15, 2008, 02:45:21 AM

hatentx

Alright so I am in the Process of converting a Head set I got from the military so that it will work for the 172.  Does anyone have wiring Schematics for the David Clarks with the Y Connector.  I bought one and the Helicopter end was the wrong size so I figured I am an Avionics Guy I can make it work.

smj58501

I am no avionics guy at all, but I have a similar headset. My local A and P shop aquired an impedience adaptor for the helo headset and it now works great in a GA fixed wing a/c. The nice thing is all I need to do is unplug it from the adaptor and I can use it when traveling by Blackhawk
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

hatentx

Yeah I am in the same boat but I got the adaptor but the wrong size.  I have one that will fit I just need to solder it on but dont know which wire goes to which connector.

lordmonar

Okay.....

If you have a miltary spec head set (with the dynamic mike and the single fat plug)....you have to have a Y-Cable that also has an impedance matcher to correct for differences between the military mike and the comercial radio set.

If you have a comercial helecopter head set (with the comercial mike but the military single fat plug)...you only need a simple y-cable that splits the mike leads from the headset leads.

Both types of cables are available from DC....the one with impediance matcher is around $70 IIRC....the other is maybe $40.

Trying to do it your self will cost you more (unless you have the componeants on hand or are going buy in bulk and make 50 sets  ;D).

I know this because I was tasked to modify military head sets to work with a comercial radio set we use in older MQ-1 Ground Control Stations......even with a full eletronics workshop sitting around....it was cheaper to just buy the adapters from DC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

I can fully attest to that, Patrick.  My SPH-4 helmet (fat 4 conductor plug) works great in a civilian aircraft with the adapter from DC.   (although I had a rig for my video camera that allowed me to plug my mic input into the intercom.. worked like a champ.. Wired that up myself, but it was MUCH simpler)

Spend the $70 or so. Its worth it.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

I'm pretty sure I've seen these things all over eBay...

"That Others May Zoom"