Broke my arm

Started by maverik, September 05, 2008, 01:28:02 AM

maverik

Hey guys I broke my arm last night playing football but I caught the interception ;D anyways I was wondering am I still considered a Category 1 cadet? ???
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

arajca

Can you still do push-ups, curl ups, run, and sit and reach? If so, yes. If not, no. Generally speaking, is you cannot perform one of the CPFT events, due to a temporary injury, you are a Category II cadet.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16
Category II – Temporarily Restricted. Cadets assigned to Category II are temporarily restricted from all or part of the CPFT due to a temporary condition or injury. Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity and illness. Normally, cadets will not exceed 6 months in this category without their condition being re-evaluated. To qualify for promotions while assigned to Category II, cadets must pass the CPFT events from which they are not restricted, with waived events being scored as a "pass" (see paragraph 1-2c). However, cadets may not earn milestone awards while assigned to this category; they must wait until they return to Category I, or meet the Category III or IV criteria described below.

Category III is permanently unable to perform one or two of the CPFT events and requires a doctor's certification.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-10. a. (2) Subsequent Assignments. If the cadet's medical condition changes, the squadron commander may assign the cadet to a new category. When changing a cadet's fitness category, the squadron commander should consult with the cadet's parents, and/or review supporting documentation endorsed by the cadet's physician. See CAPP 52-18 for a suggested CPFT waiver request form.

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-10. c. Category II – Temporarily Restricted. Cadets assigned to Category II are temporarily restricted from all or part of the CPFT due to a temporary condition or injury. Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity and illness. Normally, cadets will not exceed 6 months in this category without their condition being re-evaluated. To qualify for promotions while assigned to Category II, cadets must pass the CPFT events from which they are not restricted, with waived events being scored as a "pass" (see paragraph 1-2c). However, cadets may not earn milestone awards while assigned to this category; they must wait until they return to Category I, or meet the Category III or IV criteria described below.
Mike Johnston

maverik

okay does this mean that my promotion will be delayed due to my injury or is their something else I could do?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

MIKE

Not unless you are taking the WBA, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker or Spaatz.
Mike Johnston

Jerry Jacobs

Category II – Temporarily Restricted. Cadets assigned to Category II are temporarily restricted from all or part of the CPFT due to a temporary condition or injury. Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity and illness. Normally, cadets will not exceed 6 months in this category without their condition being re-evaluated. To qualify for promotions while assigned to Category II, cadets must pass the CPFT events from which they are not restricted, with waived events being scored as a "pass" (see paragraph 1-2c). However, cadets may not earn milestone awards while assigned to this category; they must wait until they return to Category I, or meet the Category III or IV criteria described below.

Isn't obesity the reason we have CPFT?  Can someone please clarify this? 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on September 05, 2008, 03:20:05 AM

We have the CPFT to promote a life long habit of fitness and to promote healthy decision making.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: SGT.JOKER on September 05, 2008, 02:10:48 AM
okay does this mean that my promotion will be delayed due to my injury or is their something else I could do?

As MIKE noted above, your promotion will not be delayed by PT unless you are working on a milestone award.   You get an automatic "pass" in events from which you are exempted by your injury, while classified as Category II.  You still have to achieve an overall passing score in CPFT, so you still must attempt and need to pass some or all of the other CPFT events.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on September 05, 2008, 03:20:05 AM

It has to do with cadets who are obese as a result of a medical condition.    Not obesity being the medical condition.

SJFedor

Yeah, like a cadet on medically prescribed steroids who rapidly gains 40 or 50 lbs from it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)