Personal Aircraft Use

Started by Flying Pig, August 22, 2008, 05:36:58 PM

Flying Pig

I have a new member who owns a Cirrus SR-22.  He is getting his form 5 in our 182, but is also wanting to know the process needed to be able to use his Cirrus when the opportunity permits.  Transport flights, etc.  We are already aware that it wont be effective on searches because of lack of CAP equipment.

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

a2capt

Basically, a check pilot has to have taken themselves a checkride in said aircraft in order to give one in said aircraft.

At least.. thats what the last few years have been like. Hard as hell to renew the C172 Form 5, way easier to do it in a 182.

But since you also have to renew all lower group aircraft with a higher group aircraft and not the other way around, it's no difference anyway.

ricecakecm

Quote from: a2capt on August 25, 2008, 03:02:42 AM
Basically, a check pilot has to have taken themselves a checkride in said aircraft in order to give one in said aircraft.

At least.. thats what the last few years have been like. Hard as hell to renew the C172 Form 5, way easier to do it in a 182.

But since you also have to renew all lower group aircraft with a higher group aircraft and not the other way around, it's no difference anyway.

Not quite.  Check Pilot qualifications are based on Aircraft Group.  So as a check pilot, you're qualified to give checkrides in Group 1, 2, 3, 6, etc. aircraft.  I've been qualified to give checkrides in Groups 1, 2, and 6 and I've given checkrides in all groups.  I've given checkrides in Bonanzas (Group 2), even though I've never had a Form 5 in that airplane.  Same with a Cessna 310 (Group 6). 

Now, this doesn't apply with some airplanes.  Specifically the Nav III 182's and the GA8, which NHQ has said you have to be qualified in the specific make and model to give a checkride in it.

DG

Quote from: a2capt on August 25, 2008, 03:02:42 AM

Not so.

a2capt

Not so.. or so.. but [darn] near every check pilot says it when you present them with "Please give me a check ride in a C172"..

..so I go read 60-1 in explicit detail and find this paragraph: (Page 19)

(5) Be current and qualified in at least the aircraft group used for any flight check. 
Individuals who do not possess a current medical certificate and cannot maintain currency in
group may function as a CAP check pilot as long as they are approved in writing by the
region/wing commander, can show prior currency in CAP aircraft within the group aircraft in
which they will be administering check flights, and are not the pilot-in-command of the flight
activity.

..and I am not current CAP wise, I have not had a Form 5 since 2004, (expired in 2005) and the Form 91 expired in 2006, and wish to get re-current.

For the previous four Form 5's I took, the first time in my own C172, the next time in a C182, one later  in a C206 and then the last one in my C172 again. Which at the time, it did not renew the C182, C206- as the reg. changed that renewals counted towards aircraft in the same or lessor group only.

But ever since the first one, which was at a SAREX - they (being every check pilot I could find) told me it had to be that the check pilot had to have had themselves gotten a Form 5 in the TYPE in order to conduct a check ride in the type. It's always been a battle of politics of sorts, which was why I did it in the C182 one year- aside from doing it to add it to my available aircraft to fly, and the C206 after that. When I went to renew again I "had" to resort to the Wing check pilot as he said no problem, and everyone else said they had not had one in a C172 and could not do one.

On the bit about the aircraft needing to be in the same groups to renew and the paper only renewals of subsequent aircraft needing to be in the same or lessor groups. It does make sense to me, but it was not the case for the first three years, and became an issue later for me. Only it wasn't the check pilot that told me, it was that the others were not updated in the online records. (I can't remember if it was WMU or MIMS (as it was) that 'enforced' the restriction)

It just seems that they are collectively making it more interesting to use any other-than corporate aircraft in this organization.

Even if you have the "equipment" installed- sometimes you can get yourself and a crewmember to your own aircraft a whole lot faster than the nearest corporate asset, and if your unit does not have one, that presents a whole other challenge as lots of units don't like you to use 'their' aircraft. ;-)

An argument this weekend was "why do you want to wear out your own aircraft" when you can use someone else's for "free"?

Well, if you're not as proficient with someone else's (read: CAP's) than you are with your own, in the end- what counts more here? Getting the mission done or getting 200 hours on an airplane?

It's a huge sticky wicket that will never be settled.

As for the group vs. the type, okay- maybe it was type, maybe it was never and it was easier for the check pilots to also say it was rather than truly understand the reg. Looking at past 60-1 releases is pointless, it is what it is- now. not what it was- then. (or might have been, as I said- it's been three years since I was  CAP current)

All I know is I want to get CAP current again now that I am also getting the C172 back in currency. I will have it ready in a couple weeks and will probably do a Form 5 and 91 in a C182 to renew both of them.

caprr275

I know this does not completely answer the question but I did my CAPF5 in the SR-20 and SR-22 when I took my FAA checkride and just had the DPE sign the CAP Form.  If he is planning on taking a check ride I would suggest he goes that way and just have a CAP check pilot complete the first section of the form which is specific to CAP