What does 'PJOC' stand for?

Started by AvroArrow, August 21, 2008, 01:23:46 AM

AvroArrow

I know what PJOC is, and I (think I) have the general gist of how "things work there"

But what does it stand for?

Pararescue (J = ???) Orientation Course, isn't it?

lordmonar

Quote from: AvroArrow on August 21, 2008, 01:23:46 AM
I know what PJOC is, and I (think I) have the general gist of how "things work there"

But what does it stand for?

Pararescue (J = ???) Orientation Course, isn't it?

USAF Pararescue are called PJ's for Parachute Jumper (IIRC),  No one calls them Parachute Jumpers....just PJs or Pararescue.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Parachute Jumper Orientation Course?

Stonewall

PJs are sometimes and have been refered to as Pararescue Jumpers, that's where they get the name PJ from. 

The term "Pararescue Jumper" is a retronym of the initials 'PJ' that were used on an Air Force Form 5 (Aircrew Flight Log) to identify anyone who is onboard in order to jump from the aircraft. Pararescuemen originally had no 'in flight' duties and were listed only as 'PJ' on the Form 5. The pararescue position eventually grew to include duties as an aerial gunner and scanner on rotary wing aircraft, a duty now performed by aerial gunners. Currently, aircrew qualified Pararescuemen will be recorded using aircrew position identifier 'J' ('Pararescue Member') on the AFTO form 781.[3]
Serving since 1987.

DC

In short: the activity is called the Pararescue Orientation Course. PJ is synonymous with Pararescue, the actual acronym is archaic and not used.

stratoflyer

Mail Call did a bit on this. Ask Gunny!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on August 21, 2008, 01:39:31 AM
PJs are sometimes and have been refered to as Pararescue Jumpers, that's where they get the name PJ from. 

The term "Pararescue Jumper" is a retronym of the initials 'PJ' that were used on an Air Force Form 5 (Aircrew Flight Log) to identify anyone who is onboard in order to jump from the aircraft. Pararescuemen originally had no 'in flight' duties and were listed only as 'PJ' on the Form 5. The pararescue position eventually grew to include duties as an aerial gunner and scanner on rotary wing aircraft, a duty now performed by aerial gunners. Currently, aircrew qualified Pararescuemen will be recorded using aircrew position identifier 'J' ('Pararescue Member') on the AFTO form 781.[3]

I think thats where the term "J-Coded" came from also.  If your on jump status in the AF your "J-Coded"

alamrcn

Quote from: RiverAuxParachute Jumper Orientation Course?

Yup, that's it. But make sure you say, "PEE-JAY-OH-SEE" and not "PEE-JOCK".

Leaving out the most important part, being "PEE-JAY," will get you push-ups from the PJ Instructors! The "OH-SEE" is Civil Air Patrol's contribution to the acronym.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Stonewall

Quote from: alamrcn on August 21, 2008, 04:33:53 PM

Yup, that's it.

No, it is not PARACHUTE Jumper, it is PARARESCUE Jumper. 

PJOC is called Pee-Jay-Ohhh-Seee, but refered to as Pararescue Orientation Course, no biggie.  But the "P" is for Pararescue and the "J" is for Jumper.

If we'd like, I can get a former Eaker cadet turned PJ (currently deployed) to confirm this. 
Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

I thought maybe the program itself was older than the self-conceived terms "pararescue" or "pararescueman", and at the beginning they were simply "Parachute Jumpers". But I'm just pulling that out of my tail section.

I only know what I've heard from my brother's uncle's cousin's former college roommate. Confirmation from your PJ source may be more reliable, so please do inquire so we're all square with the correct information.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

culpies

well I guess I get to call myself Kirt's secret source.  The right answer has been put out a few times here.  The PJ identifier does in fact stand for Pararescue Jumper.  The bit about being identified on manifests as PJ is the way that the identifier came about.  It has since changed a little bit there is a specific prefix followed by a J.  In some aircrew circles you will hear us referred to as simply "J's". 
Hope that clears things up a bit.

-tom

Stonewall

Thanks, Tom.  TS Fay has our power out so my phone is all I got.  Keegan sends a shout out.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Okay, power is back on.  Lived by lantern, headlamp and candle light for a few hours there.

FWIW:  PJ Tom also graduated PJOC back in the mid-90s.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 21, 2008, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 21, 2008, 01:39:31 AM

I think thats where the term "J-Coded" came from also.  If your on jump status in the AF your "J-Coded"

No, that just means you have the "J" prefix on your AFSC (AF version of MOS).
The J means you're on jump status. You get off jump status and you also lose the J prefix and your jump pay..

DNall

Quote from: alamrcn on August 21, 2008, 04:33:53 PM

Yup, that's it. But make sure you say, "PEE-JAY-OH-SEE" and not "PEE-JOCK".

Leaving out the most important part, being "PEE-JAY," will get you push-ups from the PJ Instructors! The "OH-SEE" is Civil Air Patrol's contribution to the acronym.

-Ace

Is that like... Ugh, Oh-see, PJ, him do push-ups good. Me try that too. 1-2-ow-ow-ow-ow.  ;)