Main Menu

Benefits of NASAR?

Started by KyCAP, July 20, 2008, 07:19:08 PM

KyCAP

Is there a magazine or any educational benefits to just 'joining" NASAR?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

IceNine

there are a bunch of discounts on books, gear, software and stuff.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

KyCAP

OK - I've often wondered and looking more for "Educational" SAR things that CAP's Volunteer Mag doesn't provide for SAR planning, etc.   So... I gave 'em a credit card 5 minutes ago... We'll see.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Tubacap

What is the NASAR credentialing card?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

_

Quote from: Tubacap on July 20, 2008, 08:08:13 PM
What is the NASAR credentialing card?

If you complete one of the SARTECH levels that can be used as your credentials for when you show up at a search and such.  Think of our 101 card.

Quote from: KyCAPOK - I've often wondered and looking more for "Educational" SAR things that CAP's Volunteer Mag doesn't provide for SAR planning, etc.   So... I gave 'em a credit card 5 minutes ago... We'll see.

I am not currently a member of NASAR even though I am a SARTECH.  I cannot attest to any benefits to being a member.  I highly suggest though that you buy the "Fundamentals of Search and Rescue" book.  It can be bought through NASAR or ordered through most bigger book stores.  It covers the materials you would need to pass the SARTECH II exam but it stands on it's own as a very good book covering many aspects of SAR.  It's not a planning book for mission staff type folks, it's a manual for the boots in the field.   The CAP GTM Reference Guide is in many ways a direct copy of the NASAR book.  Some sections are word for word identical but the NASAR book is more complete on a whole.

JC004

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on July 20, 2008, 08:20:47 PM
I am not currently a member of NASAR even though I am a SARTECH.  I cannot attest to any benefits to being a member.  I highly suggest though that you buy the "Fundamentals of Search and Rescue" book.  It can be bought through NASAR or ordered through most bigger book stores.  It covers the materials you would need to pass the SARTECH II exam but it stands on it's own as a very good book covering many aspects of SAR.  It's not a planning book for mission staff type folks, it's a manual for the boots in the field.   The CAP GTM Reference Guide is in many ways a direct copy of the NASAR book.  Some sections are word for word identical but the NASAR book is more complete on a whole.

Concur.

isuhawkeye

NASAR as an organization has some excellent material.  Their text books are first rate, and their certifications are building as a nationally recognized platform.  NASAR's SARTECH is very similar to CAP's ground team certifications. 

their MLPI material is excellent

The online book store has some great materials.  I would recommend you look at ERI's Handbook for managing lost person operations is one of the best I have sean.  The Iowa wing purchased a case of them to use in training mission staff. 

Otherwise the membership is a little steep, and it doesnt get you a hole lot.  There use to be a magazine, but I believe that "Advanced Rescue Technology" folded in with either "Firehouse" or "Fire Engineering" (Im not sure which)

The One NASAR event that I would love to participate in is their conference I hear it is one of the best places to meat and mingle with top notch SAR professionals.

KyCAP

Received my packet today.

Found a benefit already - > $10,000 AD & D Insurance Benefit.   Pretty good for $54/yr after first year + other "normal" benefits.

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

Benefits of NASCAR?
What was the reason behind getting rid of the CAP Nascar car other than los of funding?

My mistake...
Misread the the title.
BTW what is NASAR?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

KyCAP

Quote from: ThorntonOL on July 26, 2008, 05:22:47 AM
My mistake...
Misread the the title.
BTW what is NASAR?

http://www.nasar.org/

Mission Statement
The National Association for Search and Rescue, Inc., (NASAR) is a not-for-profit membership association dedicated to advancing professional, literary, and scientific knowledge in fields related to search and rescue. NASAR is comprised of thousands of paid and non-paid professionals interested in all aspects of search and rescue - the humanitarian cause of saving lives - throughout the United States and around the world. "...that others may live."

Response to persons in distress has long been an honorable, charitable tradition. The professionals in search and rescue have carried on this tradition of helping others by dedicating time, information, skills, equipment and funding to the relief of suffering. We are actively working toward the development of improved coordination and communications among federal, state, local, and volunteer groups. Our primary goal is to develop and provide professional credentialing products and services for your search and rescue community.

I just joined... Been eyeballing this for many of a years to see "what's in the box".   Think association for our ES functions for people not in a large organization like CAP.   Then there's the CAP member who start looking for more formalized SAR education (like me) who join.  I can only read the CAPR 60-3 and GTM / MB/ Aircrew field guides soo many times and run SAREXes until I need more power Scotty... (sorry)

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011