Would you correct them?

Started by RiverAux, May 12, 2008, 03:47:51 AM

Assuming you are a senior member, would you correct another senior member about an obvious uniform regulation violation under these circumstances (choose as many as you would like)?

I would correct them if they were in my unit and I was senior to them in grade
I would correct them if they were in my unit (regardless of grade)
I would correct them if they were not in my unit but only if I was senior to them in grade.
I would correct them if they were not in my unit regardless of their grade
I would correct them only if they were in my unit and I was senior to them in the unit chain of command (for example, if I was their squadron commander)
I would not correct another senior member no matter the circumstances.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 12, 2008, 06:40:10 PM
Chappie, not meant as an insult, but I think you just brought up something.

This year I heard that on the first day of NSC they spent time going over uniforms because one of the attendees had an apple in their blues shirt pocket.

We have uniform inspections at command and executive level events, RSC, RCSC, NSC, etc.  This year at RSC we had a "uniform class."  It just struck me as odd.

Does anyone else think it absurd that we STILL need to actively inspect/go over proper wear of the uniform for our most "experienced" and "qualified" officers?

We put in all this effort on something as simple as putting on your clothes.  I mean, by the time you're going to RSC, NSC, etc you (on average) have 5 years or more in CAP.  We must be doing something wrong, when I put on my uniform I don't even think about where stuff goes, it's just habit - ya know?

Where do we go wrong...(rhetorical)

I have to agree that somewhere along the lines something has happened.  We've all seen it before that someone wears the uniform improperly.  Let's not forget what we saw during the Fosset search.  Of all times not to get that wrong that was one of them.

The only time I could possibly see having a "uniform class" for our more senior officers is if there was a massive change in the regs.  That way they know the changes inside and out so they can bring it back to their people.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

JoeTomasone

When I have someone who thinks they know the regs really well, I will ask them what specific infraction I am committing at the moment.  When they check me over and can't see it, I show them my cell phone and VHF radio on my belt.

Yep.  Look it up. 

Makes for a neat trivia question, though.

Tubacap

huh, didn't know you couldn't have both clipped in.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

You can only have one clipped on to your left waistband.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Chappie

Chappie, not meant as an insult, but I think you just brought up something.

This year I heard that on the first day of NSC they spent time going over uniforms because one of the attendees had an apple in their blues shirt pocket.

We have uniform inspections at command and executive level events, RSC, RCSC, NSC, etc.  This year at RSC we had a "uniform class."  It just struck me as odd.

Does anyone else think it absurd that we STILL need to actively inspect/go over proper wear of the uniform for our most "experienced" and "qualified" officers?

We put in all this effort on something as simple as putting on your clothes.  I mean, by the time you're going to RSC, NSC, etc you (on average) have 5 years or more in CAP.  We must be doing something wrong, when I put on my uniform I don't even think about where stuff goes, it's just habit - ya know?

Where do we go wrong...(rhetorical)

That is true that by the time a person gets to RSC, CSRSC or NSC they should be in a habit of proper uniform wear...but I can cite "horror" stories of uniform wear of "seasoned" members who belong to squadrons that do not enforce proper uniform wear so the error of their ways are not dealt with at the grassroots level.  So they arrive at the event and need guidance.   

I have been on staff for the past two NSCs and the uniform matter is dealt with...not because of the apple in the pocket...but as part of the protocol class since we are guests at Maxwell AFB and the sessions are conducted at the SOC (Squadron Officers College) on the Academic Circle.  Since most of our CAP members (including myself) do not interface with active AF personnel on a day to day basis (and for 7 days NSC students are living in the same quarters as active duty, dining in the same dining rooms, and meeting them at the uniform store and other places on the base), students and staff are reminded of customs and courtesies, base rules, etc (including proper wear of uniform) on day one.  CAP members do stand out in that environment given our distinctive uniforms....but we don't want them to stand out for other reasons  ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Bluelakes 13

At a national AF convention last year, where practically every state-side general was in attendance, there were 6 CAP members at their booth:

1. member had nametag on wrong side
2. another member had slept in their service coat (or looked like it)
3. another member should have stopped wearing their service coat 30 lbs ago

Note, one member was the other's CC!  I tried following member #1 around to tell them to switch the nametag over, but I could not get them alone.

Do you think the USAF noticed...

Quote from: jkalemis on May 12, 2008, 08:11:14 PM
At a national AF convention last year, where practically every state-side general was in attendance, there were 6 CAP members at their booth:

1. member had nametag on wrong side
2. another member had slept in their service coat (or looked like it)
3. another member should have stopped wearing their service coat 30 lbs ago

Note, one member was the other's CC!  I tried following member #1 around to tell them to switch the nametag over, but I could not get them alone.

Do you think the USAF noticed...

What about members 4,5,6?  Were they at least correct? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Bluelakes 13

Yes, #4 and #5 were Cols and looked fine.  #6 had the blazer combo and also looked fine.

What really annoyed me was that the CC's did not correct the uniform issues before manning the booth - at least the correctable ones.   ??? 

Oh well, I tried.

We can only do so much.  It's a shame we can't hang those with gross uniform violations by their toe nails.   >:D

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Camas

This year I heard that on the first day of NSC they spent time going over uniforms because one of the attendees had an apple in their blues shirt pocket. This year at RSC we had a "uniform class."  It just struck me as odd. Does anyone else think it absurd that we STILL need to actively inspect/go over proper wear of the uniform for our most "experienced" and "qualified" officers?

Yup, I was there with JimmyDeanno and a bunch of other topnotch members at the RSC recently held at Nellis AFB NV.  We endured the uniform class but then the seminar leader who conducted the class conceded that, while we were officers who should know better, they've had problems in the past with improper uniforms, lack of military courtesies (saluting AF senior officers) and that sort of thing. I'm often tempted to ask members who violate simple courtesies or proper uniform wear and ask them, "Who conducted you through your Level I?". But I gotta tell ya; most of the participants at the RSC looked pretty sharp for the most part.  Good bunch of folks!

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 12, 2008, 08:31:50 PM
We can only do so much.  It's a shame we can't hang those with gross uniform violations by their toe nails.   >:D

Sounds like a good idea.

Ned

FWIW, I appreciate a gentle correction when I have made a uniform error.

I started out wearing shade 1505 khakis as a cadet then transitioned to shade 1550 shirts without epaulets, then to shade 1550 with epaulets.  Not to mention the way cool 1549 shirt when I wanted to look particularly cool.  And old and new service dress jackets.

I wore OD cotten sateen fatigues, the polyester green utilities, and now the BDUs and BBDUs.  (I also had the light blue smurf suit for a while).  And a green flight suit.

If you look in my closet, you can still find my CAP Guyaberra Shirt, mess dress, IACE short sleeve shirts, the blazer uniform, aviator shirt combination, and the TPU.  And a few golf shirts. 

I've got a couple of tackle boxes full of CAP uniform items -- all stuff that I have or could currently wear on my CAP uniforms.

(Also in my closet is about 23 years worth of Army uniforms as well -- big closet.)

So given my advanced age and the incredible variety of uniforms available to me (both past and present) in CAP, I would not be surprised if I managed to screw something up from time to time.

Please tell me about it -- you are doing me a favor.

Ned Lee
(Old Guy.)

RiverAux

I am more likely to correct silly problems that happen to everybody every now and again (ribbon popped off bar) or things related to uniform items that have to be taken off and on each time (ribbons on wrong side) while I am less likely to get involved (unless I'm in chain of command) on more serious ongoing problems. 

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 12, 2008, 07:55:42 PM
You can only have one clipped on to your left waistband.

Actually not - you can have one but it is not specified where.      The USAF specifies the left side but not the quantity.   39-1 says:

Quote from: 39-1
Pagers, Cellular Phone,
Two-way Radio

Clipped to waistband or purse, or carried in left hand. Only one is
authorized.

That also means you can't hold it in the right hand, which is bad for me since keying a portable with my thumb doesn't work so well.

JohnKachenmeister

It depends on the violation.  Very minor, esoteric violations of 39-1, and areas where there IS ambiguity in 39-1 I would probably overlook.  Serious violations I would correct without delay.  Most violations I would correct at the first discreet opportunity.
Another former CAP officer

IceNine

Little Story that I'm oh so proud of.

WIWAC- C/CMSgt to be exact.  I attended the national board and annual conference.  about 30 minutes before the banquet the new national commander was so nervous that when he was "making up" his uniform he managed to put his newly minted stars on upside down.

I politely and respectfully pulled him aside and told him.  For my "courage" I landed a National Commander's coin. 

Moral of the story, don't be scared... be respectful
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JoeTomasone

Quote from: IceNine on May 13, 2008, 02:27:47 AM

WIWAC- C/CMSgt to be exact.  I attended the national board and annual conference.  about 30 minutes before the banquet the new national commander was so nervous that when he was "making up" his uniform he managed to put his newly minted stars on upside down.

I politely and respectfully pulled him aside and told him.  For my "courage" I landed a National Commander's coin. 

That reminds me of the time WIWAC that we had a newly minted C/WO (Warrent Officer, which is what you got when you passed the Mitchell at the time).   For those who don't remember, the C/WO insignia was just like C/2nd. Lt except gold - one gold circle.   We were at some important function and he was so nervous that we were able to spin him up by telling him he had it on upside down. 

jb512

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 13, 2008, 04:08:57 AM
Quote from: IceNine on May 13, 2008, 02:27:47 AM

That reminds me of the time WIWAC that we had a newly minted C/WO (Warrent Officer, which is what you got when you passed the Mitchell at the time).   For those who don't remember, the C/WO insignia was just like C/2nd. Lt except gold - one gold circle.   We were at some important function and he was so nervous that we were able to spin him up by telling him he had it on upside down. 

Cadet Warrant Officer?  I was a Cadet Flight Officer when I had my gold disk...

BillB

Cadet Warrent Officer was the original title of the grade when you got the Mitchell. It retained that name from the Senior Member grade system before it was changed to Flight Officer. the C/WO title was used for a very short period before changed to C/FO. Both C/WO and C/FO wore the gold pip.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JoeTomasone

Quote from: jaybird512 on May 13, 2008, 10:44:14 AM

Cadet Warrant Officer?  I was a Cadet Flight Officer when I had my gold disk...

Yep, as stated above.   This was in the mid-80's.