Review Board Shoe Shine

Started by RiseAbove, May 04, 2008, 12:13:41 AM

RiseAbove

Good evening,

I have my review board tomorrow for my Curry, and I plan on wearing my general-use (concerts, funerals, etc.) dress shoes.  I know my shoes need to be polished, but how much needs to be polished?  Is it just the toe cap, or the entire "body" of the shoe?  If it is the entire "body", does anyone have any tips as to how to get the entire "body" to shine?

Thanks You
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RiseAbove

Thanks for the tip Sir, but do I have to shine the toe-cap or the entire "body."

C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

arajca

From my cadet days, "A toe shine is NO shine."

Do the whole shoe. You use the same process as the toe for the body.

brasda91

Quote from: arajca on May 04, 2008, 12:30:51 AM
From my cadet days, "A toe shine is NO shine."

Do the whole shoe. You use the same process as the toe for the body.

yep.  hope you have lots of time.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

DC

Shine the whole thing.

Or invest in a pair of Corframs for events of this sort.

MIKE

Plastic shoes suck... They scuff easy and can't be fixed... And they're hot.
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on May 04, 2008, 01:09:02 AM

Then be careful not to scuff them.......  :o
What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: MIKE on May 04, 2008, 01:09:02 AM
For the occasional event where extra-glossy-mirror-finish shoes are needed I could tolerate a little heat (I'm a Floridian, for crying out loud, its nearly Midnight and its 80 degrees out...) and they won't scuff if you are careful.

RiverAux

The soles will fall apart on you though....

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on May 04, 2008, 03:32:09 AM
The soles will fall apart on you though....

(I've had two set of plastic shoes: one as a cadet and one on AD for official photos). The last set of corfams I had fell apart on me at my first wing conference after I came back in.  I was driving to the venue and noticed that I felt a breeze on my toes.  I looked down and the shoes had completely come apart.  Since I was two hours from home and I had already payed for the conference and the room, I stopped at a car parts store and bought some wide black electrical tape. My shoes looked like hell, but I I couldn't do anything else (no way to buy plain toe black low quarters).

When I got home, I dug out my issued low quarters (being a paratrooper, I hadn't worn them since jump school, 23 years earlier.  They were, and are in great shape.  They still hold a great shine and have, over the years, actually gotten comfortable.

As far as how much to shine:  Shine the whole shoe!  Use edge dressing on the sides of the soles, and use an old tooth brush to get polish into the area between the sole and the uppers.  The board won't know that you went to all that trouble but you will.  Going the extra mile is a great confidence builder.

Good luck!

Lt Col Gunner Pierce

DC

I started off with corframs in CAP, I had one pair for almost a year, they had some scuffs on them, but they never fell apart, and I was never unduly uncomfortable in them. I grew out of them, and donated them to the squadron uniform supply, they were still in pretty good shape.

RiseAbove

Somebody just gave me the suggestion of spraying Kiwi Liquid Polish on them in layers (letting them dry in between).... it sounds like a great solution, but is this considered cheating and/or would the cadet/senior staff pick up on this?

Thank You
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

mikeylikey

^ NO....DO NOT DO THAT!  It will dry funny, not to mention it will jack the shoes up.  Unless you have 1,000 hours of using spray paint without it running or streaking on whatever you put it on, do not use liquid spray polish. 

Also, I suggest you talk to your SQD Commander or other cadets and see what exactly is inspected for you to get your Curry.  Sure your uniform has to be clean, and pressed and your devices have to be positioned properly, but I can not see them denying you your Curry if you have a small scuff on your shoe. 
What's up monkeys?

RiseAbove

It's not that there are any scuffs on my shoes, they're simply not shiny.  They are the regular, store-bought, black dress shoes.
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

mikeylikey

1 can of kiwi polish, one rag, and a small amount of water.  Follow the directions on the back of the can.  Take two hours and get your shoes shiny. 

Good luck on your review board. 
What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: RiseAbove on May 04, 2008, 04:30:42 PM
It's not that there are any scuffs on my shoes, they're simply not shiny.  They are the regular, store-bought, black dress shoes.
My preference for polish is Lincoln's Wax. I find it much easier to work with and you get to a shine much quicker. But, bottom line, there are no shortcuts. Shoe polish + water + cotton ball + elbow grease + a few hours = a good shine that will serve you well. If you go the extra mile and get your shoes looking really good now it will be very easy to maintain. Once you get them to that point usually it will only take a few coats to restore them.

CAP006

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 04, 2008, 04:40:51 PM
1 can of kiwi polish, one rag, and a small amount of water.  Follow the directions on the back of the can.  Take two hours and get your shoes shiny. 

Good luck on your review board. 

Well I use the parade gloss for my paten leather blues shoes and black shoe polish stainer that the marines use.  I dont remember what the name of the polish is called but I got it at a millitary surplus store and it has worked wonders for my combat boots.

I normaly put in a good two to three hours in my boots and my combat boots almost look like corframes. 
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

MIKE

Mike Johnston

CAP006

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

DC

I'm curious, has anyone here ever tried Shape Up Instant Military Spit Shine? I have heard good things about it.

Someone in my squadron did Leather Luster, it looked good for a few weeks, then looses the glossyness and gets back to a half@$$ed shine look.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: DC on May 05, 2008, 02:45:26 AM
I'm curious, has anyone here ever tried Shape Up Instant Military Spit Shine? I have heard good things about it.

Someone in my squadron did Leather Luster, it looked good for a few weeks, then looses the glossyness and gets back to a half@$$ed shine look.

Did leather luster when I was RM back in the day, lived to regret it all the way.

Lately I have been doing the Liquid Kiwi, doesn't come off to bad on boots, haven't tried it on shoes though.

Although I do have to agree that NOTHING beats a good ol water/spit shine.

SARMedTech

Someone should contact Stonewall.  He is former Old Guard (3d ID). If anyone knows how to shine shoes, its those boys.  They spend more hours on uniform maintenance than they do on actual duty (at least the Tomb of the Unknown boys do).
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

notaNCO forever

As long as the shoes are leather all you need is a rag water and shoe polish. Also for a really good look lots of time

floridacyclist

I wasn't Old Guard, but did stand daily guardmount and inspection as a cop in SAC where we had to be stiffly starched and highly shined. We tried all the shortcuts and always ended up going back to good old-fashioned spit and elbow grease.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

smitjud

Quote from: RiseAbove on May 04, 2008, 04:30:42 PM

Think everyone has made good points on here.  Might want to further add that you purchase or acquire some shoes that are ok to wear with your uniform.  You're typically not going to find "approved" shoes at payless, sears or any of those joints. 

Check and make sure they meet these requirements:

from  CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual   

Table 2-1. Men's Service, Mess Dress, and Semiformal Uniforms
Footwear (Low Quarters)
Black oxford; lace-up style with a plain rounded toe or a plain rounded capped toe; without perforation or design, sole will not exceed 1/2 inch in thickness and the heel will not exceed 1 inch in height (measured from the inside front of the heel); may have low wedge heel; smooth or scotch grained leather or man-made material; high gloss or patent finish.

Had a cadet show up to encampment once with blue Dockers for his pants and wingtips.  Thought I might need an AED right then and there.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

jimmydeanno

Quote from: justin.smith on May 09, 2008, 09:03:07 PM
Think everyone has made good points on here.  Might want to further add that you purchase or acquire some shoes that are ok to wear with your uniform.  You're typically not going to find "approved" shoes at payless, sears or any of those joints. 

Check and make sure they meet these requirements:

from  CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual   

Table 2-1. Men's Service, Mess Dress, and Semiformal Uniforms
Footwear (Low Quarters)
Black oxford; lace-up style with a plain rounded toe or a plain rounded capped toe; without perforation or design, sole will not exceed 1/2 inch in thickness and the heel will not exceed 1 inch in height (measured from the inside front of the heel); may have low wedge heel; smooth or scotch grained leather or man-made material; high gloss or patent finish.

It's actually a pretty generic style of shoe and CAN be found at most of the places you listed above, including Wal*Mart.  Cadets in my squadron have purchased shoes that meet all those criteria for $10.00, which is a great deal considering how mnay times their feet grow.

Even if the shoe doesn't have a "high-gloss" shine a few coats of kiwi and it is acceptable.  Some people just don't accept that "high-gloss" doesn't necessarily mean you can shave in them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

smitjud

Nice.  I'm glad that works for you.  Wish some of our folks had the same luck.

Most of the stuff I've seen around here at those places have distinctly unmilitary appearances and either have odd finishes or are made of some sort of synthetic material that doesn't take kindly to polish.  Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I'll take your word on that and stand corrected.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

CAP006

Use the millitary black stanning wax. It goes on easy and it stays on longer for a better shine. If you but on more than 2 coodings, the shine is 2 times better.

Now I have a question thou. 

What would be better,  hot water or cold?

I use the cold water and it works just fine.

Thoughts? ???

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

lordmonar

Okay...here's a radical idea.

How about apply kiwi was with supplied brush, buff off excess wax with supplied brush, and quick buff toe and heel with supplied buffing cloth.

With everthing we have to do in our lives....spending two hours polishing your shoes is a waste of your time.

It should take 10 minutes max....do it everytime you wear them. 

If you got two hours to kill.....study your aerospace or leadership manuals or do some sit ups/push ups or run for 30 minutes.

Keep things in perspective....sure shiney shoes are cool, but that is about 1% of the total picture when I determine if someone is ready for promotion.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: lordmonar on May 13, 2008, 10:55:42 PM
Okay...here's a radical idea.

How about apply kiwi was with supplied brush, buff off excess wax with supplied brush, and quick buff toe and heel with supplied buffing cloth.

With everthing we have to do in our lives....spending two hours polishing your shoes is a waste of your time.

It should take 10 minutes max....do it everytime you wear them. 

If you got two hours to kill.....study your aerospace or leadership manuals or do some sit ups/push ups or run for 30 minutes.

Keep things in perspective....sure shiney shoes are cool, but that is about 1% of the total picture when I determine if someone is ready for promotion.

I disagree.....How someone prepares their shoes is how they will prepare themselves in life.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 14, 2008, 01:53:56 AM
I disagree.....How someone prepares their shoes is how they will prepare themselves in life.

You're right, taking hours on something that really isn't that big of a deal tells you a lot about someone.  When we hire people here, it isn't based off whether or not they have a mirror shine versus a semi-gloss shine on their shoes, we're looking for their skills and experience.

During review boards, I have never once looked at a cadets shoes - that's what the normal uniform inspection is for.  Sure, if I notice that they're covered in mud and have the black spray paint peeling off of them, I'll say something, but otherwise "clean and maintained" is good enough for me.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP006

Ok, thanks for that but Im still wondering, is cold water better when polishing or hot water?

???

I understand that I do have a fedish on polishing my boots but I like the fact that I can use my boot as a miror.  :D

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

Gunner C

Quote from: CAP006 on May 17, 2008, 01:07:11 PM
Ok, thanks for that but Im still wondering, is cold water better when polishing or hot water?

???

I understand that I do have a fedish on polishing my boots but I like the fact that I can use my boot as a miror.  :D

That's fetish.  :D

Cool water is fine.  I've never used ice water but some do. I just turn on the tap and it works just fine. I think the secret is the good base of polish, the type of cloth (try to avoid artificial blends - they scratch the surface - use cotton), and lots and lots and lots and lots of elbow grease.

I agree with the folks above.  It's the fine details of uniform preparation that separate the good troop from the best.  Folks may not look over the table to get a good look at your footwear, but it makes a difference in the whole picture.  I personally appreciate young people who do their best to make a good impression.  It shows me that you are willing to go the extra mile. 

I get slightly irritated by officers who pay absolutely no attention to these things.  Officers whose shoes look like their shoes are buffed with a Hershey bar (or worse, a brick) show me that they don't take pride in their uniforms.  Corfam shoes are ok, but a good shine on leather shows me something else.

I was taught early that these things were important.  In my cadet squadron in Alaska we had a former USAF TI.  He was a MSgt and took these thing seriously but had a great sense of humor.  One day there was a staff meeting for the senior members.  The former TI (I can't remember his name) was sitting there at the table.  The squadron chaplain (a really great guy but had no military or CAP experience) came in just before the beginning.  The MSgt started sniffing the air.  He kept on doing it until everyone was watching.  He said "I smell an unbuttoned button."  He got up and sniffed around until he came to the chaplain.  He stopped in front and said "I can smell a button a mile away and you have one unbuttoned."  He sniffed a bit more and said "check your hip pocket."  Sure enough, it was unbuttoned.  Everyone had a laugh.  But after that, the chaplain started to pay more attention to his haircut and uniform.  His shoes got shinier, his salute got straighter, he spoke with more authority to the cadets, and frankly became a pretty good officer.

The TI taught us some of the tricks that the TIs used like carrying a nylon stocking to clean off the shoes and give a quick shine.

Wow, I don't even remember stepping up on the soap box.  ;D

MSgt Van

I seem to get a higher gloss with cold water. I'm using such a small amount on the tip of a cotton ball that it probably doesn't really matter. And yes, I normally use spit. A note on the cotton balls; use real cotton, not synthetic.

Gunner C

Quote from: MSgt Van on May 17, 2008, 01:49:25 PM
I seem to get a higher gloss with cold water. I'm using such a small amount on the tip of a cotton ball that it probably doesn't really matter. And yes, I normally use spit. A note on the cotton balls; use real cotton, not synthetic.
That's the word I was looking for - synthetic! 

CAP006

Quote from: Gunner C on May 17, 2008, 01:40:46 PM
Quote from: CAP006 on May 17, 2008, 01:07:11 PM

???

That's fetish.  :D

Cool water is fine.  I've never used ice water but some do. I just turn on the tap and it works just fine. I think the secret is the good base of polish, the type of cloth (try to avoid artificial blends - they scratch the surface - use cotton), and lots and lots and lots and lots of elbow grease.

I agree with the folks above.  It's the fine details of uniform preparation that separate the good troop from the best.  Folks may not look over the table to get a good look at your footwear, but it makes a difference in the whole picture.  I personally appreciate young people who do their best to make a good impression.  It shows me that you are willing to go the extra mile. 

I get slightly irritated by officers who pay absolutely no attention to these things.  Officers whose shoes look like their shoes are buffed with a Hershey bar (or worse, a brick) show me that they don't take pride in their uniforms.  Corfam shoes are ok, but a good shine on leather shows me something else.

I was taught early that these things were important.  In my cadet squadron in Alaska we had a former USAF TI.  He was a MSgt and took these thing seriously but had a great sense of humor.  One day there was a staff meeting for the senior members.  The former TI (I can't remember his name) was sitting there at the table.  The squadron chaplain (a really great guy but had no military or CAP experience) came in just before the beginning.  The MSgt started sniffing the air.  He kept on doing it until everyone was watching.  He said "I smell an unbuttoned button."  He got up and sniffed around until he came to the chaplain.  He stopped in front and said "I can smell a button a mile away and you have one unbuttoned."  He sniffed a bit more and said "check your hip pocket."  Sure enough, it was unbuttoned.  Everyone had a laugh.  But after that, the chaplain started to pay more attention to his haircut and uniform.  His shoes got shinier, his salute got straighter, he spoke with more authority to the cadets, and frankly became a pretty good officer.

The TI taught us some of the tricks that the TIs used like carrying a nylon stocking to clean off the shoes and give a quick shine.

Wow, I don't even remember stepping up on the soap box.  ;D

Thank you for the info!

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

CadetProgramGuy

You know, I Never figured out the cotton ball shine......I use an older t-shirt wrap around my hand and fingers.  Socks are ok, but t-shirts are better IMO.

If I have a new pair of boots, I actually scrub off the factory shine, apply a think base with my only my fingers until i get a dull shine.

Then on with the t-shirt, luke warm water, and have a ball.

DC

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 18, 2008, 03:45:39 AM

You know, I Never figured out the cotton ball shine......I use an older t-shirt wrap around my hand and fingers.  Socks are ok, but t-shirts are better IMO.

If I have a new pair of boots, I actually scrub off the factory shine, apply a think base with my only my fingers until i get a dull shine.

Then on with the t-shirt, luke warm water, and have a ball.
I have tried the t-shirt. Cotton ball works better for me. You pinch the cotton ball inbetween your index finger and thumb, dip it in the water, then squeeze it out, then rub all of the polish onto it, then apply it to the boot. I like it because I don't polish all over my finger, and it make for convienient storage, I can fit a few cotton ball and a length of panty hose inside a can of polish, so that is all I have to pack or carry, instead of a huge bag or a box full of t-shirts, or socks, or brushes and what have you... Simple, compact, and very effective.

Note: I got a hold of a bottle of ShapeUp. Don't really recommend it. It doesn't give that great of a shine, and it scuffs real easy.

MSgt Van

...and as previously mentioned, an old nylon is the best "quick buff" tool around. It's quite a conversation starter; 'do you have an old pair of panty hose I can have?"

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on May 18, 2008, 03:51:48 PM
Note: I got a hold of a bottle of ShapeUp. Don't really recommend it. It doesn't give that great of a shine, and it scuffs real easy.

Works Ok for heel and sole, though.

DC

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 19, 2008, 11:24:58 PM
Quote from: DC on May 18, 2008, 03:51:48 PM

Works Ok for heel and sole, though.
I used it everywhere on the boot except the toe, that I left alone so if it didn't come out to my expectations I would at least be able to spit polish the toe. I'm glad I did.

It does give you an 'acceptable' shine for the majority of the boot.