Main Menu

TWIMC

Started by SSgt Rudin, April 09, 2008, 05:08:08 PM

SSgt Rudin

TWIMC - To Whom It May Concern

When I was in the Navy I received plenty of e-mails addressed to acronyms (TWIMC, ALCON, and a few others I can't recall) and in CAP I have received a few ALCON's, but when I sent one the other day addressed TWIMC I got a response of "I think you sent this to the wrong address, there is no Twimc working in this office."

Has any one else ever heard of, seen, or used this? Or did I just make myself look stupid?
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

MIKE

Another case of "no common core of experience."
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

I've never seen TWIMC although I have seen ALCON, both in military memorandums and in CAP.

However, I've always taken issue with the use of abbreviations like this in formal correspondence.  Is it really that much trouble to put "To whom it may concern" or "All concerned?"

To me it makes it out as though the information in the letter can't be too important if you aren't even willing to spell out who the letter is to.

I also don't like the use of v/r (Very Respectfully).  How respectful is it really to abbreviate your sentiments?

I don't ever use these in formal or informal correspondence, maybe it's just me.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DogCollar

I refuse to respond to emails, letters or memorandums that are addressed "To Whom it May Concern," or it's acronym. >:( >:(  They will go in the delete file or wastebasket along with all the spam or junkmail addressed for "resident."
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

DrJbdm

QuoteI also don't like the use of v/r (Very Respectfully).  How respectful is it really to abbreviate your sentiments?

The use of R or Respectfully is signed when responding to or writing to a person who is junior in rank to you. the V/R or Very Respectfully is used with a person who is senior in rank to you. It's one of the little military manners that CAP misses without a good high quality military model of OCS.

a more formal letter would dictate the full word of Respectfully or Very Respectfully, a less formal one would be ok to use R or V/R.

CFI_Ed

QuoteIt's one of the little military manners that CAP misses without a good high quality military model of OCS.
I guess us ROTC guys from way back when didn't have this block of training ;D

I also have noticed that the use of v/r & r only coming up only in the last few years as we never added the abbreviation in our correspondence.  When used, we spelled it out.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

SarDragon

Quote from: CFI_Ed on April 09, 2008, 08:24:05 PM
QuoteIt's one of the little military manners that CAP misses without a good high quality military model of OCS.
I guess us ROTC guys from way back when didn't have this block of training ;D

I also have noticed that the use of v/r & r only coming up only in the last few years as we never added the abbreviation in our correspondence.  When used, we spelled it out.

WIWOAD (USN, '69 - '89), I only ever saw it on informal, handwritted correspondence. If we move that into the 21st century, I suppose that it would be OK in an informal email, but never in formal correspondence, no matter what type.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

Never used & don't recall seeing TWIMC, use ALCON all the time, pretty interchangeable.

My Army email sig line has "v/r" above my name/unit/poc. It's pretty standard & is correct per official communications protocol.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: DogCollar on April 09, 2008, 05:46:57 PM
I refuse to respond to emails, letters or memorandums that are addressed "To Whom it May Concern," or it's acronym. >:( >:(  They will go in the delete file or wastebasket along with all the spam or junkmail addressed for "resident."

So if I need to send an e-mail to an address of which I do not know the who recipient is (ie helpdesk@whatever.com or sales@whatever.com, etc) what do you suggest?

Quote from: DNall on April 09, 2008, 10:15:06 PM
Never used & don't recall seeing TWIMC, use ALCON all the time, pretty interchangeable.

My Army email sig line has "v/r" above my name/unit/poc. It's pretty standard & is correct per official communications protocol.

Maybe I just saw it a lot because my e-mail was on a forwarding list for a help desk.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Fifinella

I believe "Dear Sir/Ma'am" is still considered appropriate.

When I email a helpdesk, I usually just open with "Hello".
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Cecil DP

Quote from: Fifinella on April 10, 2008, 05:31:21 AM
I believe "Dear Sir/Ma'am" is still considered appropriate.

When I email a helpdesk, I usually just open with "Hello".

I agree
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85